Defensive Carry banner

My deer rifle...for any antis who may be reading!

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Two Bears 
#1 ·
Now, by all means I’m not saying it’s the best choice...I have a Blaser, Browning, and a Mauser in various calibers who are called upon for longer shots, more precise shots, and larger game. In the dense brush of the southeast, however, none of these things are really necessary, so they really are only pulled out for elk trips out west.

So what hauls in my local deer? A “lowly” WASR 10/63 7.62x39. Bought when they could be had for $300 and slowly modified over the years to suit my needs.

Why? Well, the 7.62x39 with the proper load (Hornady Black for me) is plenty to take down whitetail under 100 yards. Mine is one of the better built examples, and with the Nikon scope, can consistently pull in 2 inch or less groups at 100 yards...again, the maximum distance I’ll ever see on my hunting lease anyway. And the ammo is cheap. I can practice, practice, and practice some more on the off season without spending more than I would to take the family to McDonalds, especially when using the five round magazine. Which has made this probably the most trusted and versatile firearm in my collection over the years.

It’s got more homemade work and locktite than I’d care to admit, but it is a true shooter under any circumstance.

Anyway, just thought I’d share my story. Yup, there sure are better choices (to some) and I’ve got ‘em, but to those antis who say these rifles don’t serve a purpose, I kindly ask you to explain away the 30+ deer that have fed my family for the past decade because of this rifle.

See less See more
#2 ·
I plan to hunt for elk this season with my AR10 in a couple of weeks.

#5 ·
Clearly that is not a hunting rifle, but an assault sniper rifle that shoots a 1,000 bullets a minute. I am sure that rifle is now going to appear in anti-2A brochures as proof positive how evil black rifles are even if they sport a wood stock.

(Nice rig)

#8 ·
7.62 x 39 has pretty similar ballistics to the tried and true 30/30. Keep your shots to 30/30 ranges and I see no problem at all. FWIW, a LOT of black bears have been taken over the years with the 30/30 as well!

#10 ·
Use what you have. The deer won't know the difference.
My son uses a 40 year old compound bow and old aluminum shaft arrows to hunt deer (used to be my archery rig) and it brings them down just as efficiently as a new rig.
I use an equally old Sako .270 and it's brought home game every year. The 20 round box of ammo I'm still using was purchased 18 years ago... lol ... I still have two hunting trips left on that box of ammo !

#14 ·
I'm told there are surrounding land owners(AKA known as neighbors) that shoot deer at night with .22 rimfire to reduce crop damage. We allow now only one hunter on the property and that hunter fills out his tag (5) deer allowed then buys another tag. I've never noticed what rifle he uses, but on rear occasions we've heard multiple shots fired but that could be hunters on adjoining property.

#15 ·
Inside of 100 yards I don't think that a whitetail will know the difference between a .30-06, a 30-30 or a 7.62x39. I've only killed one deer with a 7.62x39. I took this buck 12 or so years ago at about 60 yards with a Yugoslavian sks and a cheap russian made "Brown Bear" 123 grain softpoint load. Dropped him in his tracks.

#16 ·
Near season end update...

Been another good year, three deer down this year, highlight was a six point. Few modifications as well. Stock helps tremendously with eye relief, but I miss the wood a great deal.

Once again another successful season proving the people that say these rifles don’t serve a purpose for civilians wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Field shot from today, just to show the new stock. Finally found a solution to help with the eye relief but keep the original shellacked laminated wood look. Had to do the finish myself but it is a really close match, closer than in the photo.

Don’t know much about it other than it is also Romanian, and the buttplate has spring tension to reduce felt recoil. The capitalist solution was to just use rubber, but those commies had to have steel!

Don’t know about you guys, but I prefer hunting in the ground whenever the situation and safety allows. Harder, but more rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Any Day Now
#19 ·
My brother-in-law, who lives in Iowa, came down to Missouri to hunt deer on some public land. Everybody laughed at his 12 gauge. A half-hour later he had his truck loaded up and headed home with a nice buck. Too bad Iowa doesn't allow anything less than a .357, handgun or rifle :argh: They evidently didn't' get the message that the 5.56 is a high powered round.

#21 ·
The mighty WASR.

The beauty of an AK is truly appreciated when you break it down. Its literally like 3 parts and no small pins to be found...simple and roomy. I say roomy b/c when you take the lid off - there's @ an inch of room on either side of the bolt.

I replaced the stock wood with magpul furniture on mine. It felt like it was made for a much smaller person with the factory wood butt stock. I also put an AK-74 muzzle break on it - works like a champ.

Did you polish your bolt or did it come like that? Mine was black from the factory - but I polished it to stainless like yours. Looks 10X better IMO.

Check out AKOU on youtube - that guy will show everything you didn't know you needed to know about AKs :rolleyes:

He tests a lot of different manufacturers too. Check out what he had to say about the lowly WASR.

Reactions: 380ACP
#22 ·
Did you polish your bolt or did it come like that? Mine was black from the factory - but I polished it to stainless like yours. Looks 10X better IMO.
Good eye! I did. Bought it in 2008 for the (then) exorbitant post-Obama election scare price of $500. Took a dremel to the bolt not long after that. Has not once shown any sign of corrosion.

I’ve always loved my WASR, was so naturally accurate with the iron sights I figured it would make a great deer rifle. Best decision I could have made. I hunted with it bone stock, not even a scope mounted until the last few years.

With today’s prices, it wouldn’t make much sense economically to do the same, but I love the confused silence that comes after showing members of the anti-EBR gang my rifle and its very practical purpose.

Reactions: Any Day Now
#24 ·
I loved hunting and hope all here continue too for as long as they can. It was what I lived and worked for each year. My ten years in Wyoming were the happiest of my life not that I did not hunt in the other states where I lived. But the game animals in Wyoming outnumber the residents VASTLY and with the lowest population of any state it was "Hunter's Heaven" the trout fishing was off the chain as well with five star trout waters. I almost put a Pronghorn in the Boone and Crockett Record Book but it missed by 2 points and I missed one that would have scored well up in the book. How many people even get such chances in a lifetime? I saw moose, elk, mule deer and fished five star trout streams. Those were blessed years! Do it while you can as the years fly by way too fast!

My memories of hunting with my grandfather and my father are now treasures worth more than GOLD!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.