Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sort of, kind of got caught with my pants down. Here is the scenario.

I am deathly ill with the worst part of a cold. Achy, feverish, miserable, all I wanted to do was settle in and watch a fun movie to make me feel better. I chose The Incredibles. I haven’t seen it in a while and I love that movie.

I am all snuggled nice and warm under about 5 comforters when all of a sudden my door alarm goes off. It is just a Radio Shack door alarm that is very loud. Not connected to the police but it does alert me when someone opens the door. It took me about 10 seconds before I fully realized that my alarm was going off and someone just entered my house through the front door. Because of my depleted state, I did NOT have a firearm any where near me. Being so sick, I just didn’t feel like carrying a firearm around with me. At that moment, I felt rather, well, defenseless. I rally, get up and investigate. Turns out that it is my ex-wife who tried ringing the bell several times, but no one answered because I didn’t hear it as the movie was so loud. She has a key, so she just opened the door. Ya, ya, I know. Not sure which is worse entering your house. A hardened criminal or an ex-wife.

We are on good terms (I don’t hate her, I just don’t want to be married to her). We had a brief discussion about the consequences. I told her I normally have a firearm with me and with the alarm going off, it would have been at low ready. Her eyes lit up a bit and she confirmed that I would verify the target before I started shooting. Hmmmm. Maybe. :image035:

So I guess I learned a lesson that even though I am deathly ill, I should have a firearm near me.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
So I guess I learned a lesson that even though I am deathly ill, I should have a firearm near me.
I'll agree with that, as long as you can function.

I would say because you were deathly ill, you might have an even greater need of a firearm near you, you know, since you may not feel like using your kungfu on any intruders (not talking about the ex). :gah:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Good on you for having a door alarm activated during the day. I am able to keep a weapon on me without much trouble when I am home.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Too bad it wasn't someone you wanted to see that interupted your movie, but glad it wasn't someone that would have required you to have your gun.

Get well and keep the pistola close to you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How about a safety latch or something similar? It would at least slow down someone coming in unexpectedly.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Your 'ex' is lucky that you didn't "get rid of her"...wait a minute, you already did that...:ticking:
Glad that all are safe...no BG's.:image035:

·
Registered
186 Posts
The lesson you should have learned is to not give your Ex a key. What would you have done if you had a lady friend over for some afternoon delight and you ex walks in?

·
Registered
368 Posts
What would you have done if you had a lady friend over for some afternoon delight and you ex walks in?
ask her to join?? just b/c they arnt married doesnt mean she cant partake! ;)

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
ok, lets stop there.............

glad things turned out ok for you with that alarm
at least have one by the bed just in case

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I recovered from this stuff about 3 weeks ago, and when I was the sickest you could have stole every thing in the world and I would not have known or cared. Forget being armed spent day and night in bed. I am very grateful that this is over and I am back to normal.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got my key back. She entered without informing me that she was coming over or anyone expecting her. A definite abuse of the reason I gave her the key. I reiterated that she could have literally been shot as my alarm going off in the middle of the day does put me on a heightened alert even if I was deathly ill and slow to respond. She was not impressed. Oh well. Guess that is why she is my EX-wife.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just got my key back. She entered without informing me that she was coming over or anyone expecting her. A definite abuse of the reason I gave her the key. I reiterated that she could have literally been shot as my alarm going off in the middle of the day does put me on a heightened alert even if I was deathly ill and slow to respond. She was not impressed. Oh well. Guess that is why she is my EX-wife.
I'm glad you got your key back, for her safety and your privacy. Sounds like she doesn't understand that it not OK to intrude on both

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm glad that nothing horrible happened and that you got your key back. I know that no one has but me and the wife has a key to our house. Anyone coming through my door uninvited is putting themselves at serious risk. I also recommend you identify your target before shooting, which you did.

BTW, The Incredibles is one of my favorite movies too. (Just incase you couldn't tell.)

·
Registered
911 Posts
... Not sure which is worse entering your house. A hardened criminal or an ex-wife. ...
The ex-wife of course. :twak:

I just got my key back. She entered without informing me that she was coming over or anyone expecting her. A definite abuse of the reason I gave her the key. ...
You do know she made copies of the keys, right? Better change all the locks in the house and reinforce them doors against kicks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts