Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I had to go to court to defend our church in a small claims suit filed by a roofing company against us. (long story...trust me, we did what we were supposed to and were in the right...) It led to an interesting interaction that I thought I would share.

I wore a suit because my mama taught me to dress nice for important stuff. Normally the suit demands the tuckable IWB and the subcompact XD 9, but since I knew I was going to have to take it off before going into the courthouse I chose my Galco OWB and the compact XD 40. :comeandgetsome:

When we got to the courthouse I put my suit coat on and walked into the building. The guard waved me through the metal detector, but of course I stopped and informed him that I had a firearm to check. (this is the law in AZ...they need to have a facility to check a firearm) So he has the other guard hand me a key to the lock boxes secured to the wall outside of the secure zone and then watches as I unload and place my XD in the box, locking it at the end.

He asked me if I was LEO. I said that I wasn't, thinking that this would be the place he asked to inspect my permit. Nope! He just asked for my ID so that they knew whose key it was and gave me a claim ticket. It took, oh, about 15 seconds. The Sheriffs officers sitting a little way away didn't bat an eye.

When it was time to go I gave him the ticket, he gave me the key and walked me to the lock box. He showed me which door was the right one to leave by after retrieving my property and wished me a nice day.

So...complete yawner. Absolutely no problems here in AZ with carrying to and from the courthouse in Surprise.

Oh, and FYI the small claims hearing officer will advise us of the decision within 10 days by mail. I think she was strongly leaning our way.:danceban:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Glad it went well for you, hope your court case went as well.

NCH

·
Registered
792 Posts
So you had to unload your weapon before putting it in the lock box?

I've never carried into the buildings, always leaving them in my lock boxes in the parking lot,.. But this is a good witness to how easy it can be I guess.. That is good.. Good post for sure..

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Great experience.

Wish every State had the Lock-box law.

dave

BTW -- please post or PM a citation for the AZ law to forward to my State Representative.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When taking my CCW class the instructor said all state, local and county buildings, in AZ had to provide a locker for you to store your weapon. This did not apply to Federal buildings.

Mike

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Believe it or not the same applies in NYS, at least in my county (Erie) anyway. When I go to the courthouse I leave my pistol with the deputy and they give me a claim ticket and lock it on a locker until i return. They do ask to see my permit but other than that it is absolutely painless.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
So, was it a Surprise? Or, not a Surprise? :rofl:

:hand10: That is awesome that they provide secure storage for firearms.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Great experience.

Wish every State had the Lock-box law.

dave

BTW -- please post or PM a citation for the AZ law to forward to my State Representative.
I agree 100%...:yup:

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
glad to see it and time to come back outwest when the next opp presents itself

·
Registered
408 Posts
Course, here in NC, they have lockboxes in the courthouse for securing "prohibited items" but the head of sourthouse security said I could not secure my weapon because "firearms are not allowed on county property."

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Great wreite-up and I'll be praying for a god result on the small claims matter.

P.S. Regarding wearing a suit for court....you were brought up right!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Must. Be. Nice.

*sigh*

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
glad to hear it went well fo you. Unless I'm working, and can carry in, I alwasy just lock mine in the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts