Defensive Carry banner

My experiences from my first week of carrying

5K views 50 replies 39 participants last post by  Huski92 
#1 ·
So I got my ACE 1 Gen 2 holster from Black Arch last week. It's pretty nice but I have nothing to compare it to. I really wanted to get a StealthGear but they don't have a CZ PCR model.

A few things from my first few times carrying:

1. First off, having a piece of metal poking me in the back is uncomfortable. Especially while driving.

2. I need to get shorts that are one inch larger. I wear a 31 and I definitely need to buy some 32" shorts.

3. At first the printing was awful on my frame. I am a skinny guy at 5'11 140lbs. Then I realized I could adjust the cant on my holster. I adjusted it almost to the maximum setting and it is 10x better. Now I have zero printing in a relatively tight T-shirt, before I was printing hard at 4:00. So it's much better now.

4. The gun sticks into my back when I am driving. It's very uncomfortable. I don't know if it's because the PCR is a metal gun, or if I need to find a new position to carry. 3:00 seemed extremely awkward. I don't know if that's because of the holster or my small frame, but it felt like I had a huge obvious bulge on my right side. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

So from a concealability standpoint 4:00 with a lot of forward cant seems to be best. But it is uncomfortable. Enough that I could see skipping carrying most of the time. Specifically when driving or sitting in a chair. Any ideas? Do you think it's the gun size that is a problem? The frame being metal? The holster? Or is carrying just simply not comfortable and you deal with it?

I was kind of hoping this would be something I could get into my daily routine and barely even notice it. But when you have a large piece of cold metal ramming you in the lower part of your back it's pretty obvious. Any tips guys?

Another possibility is that because of how small my waist is, the holster is not conforming to my body like it would on an average person.

See less See more
#30 ·
I agree with Boomstick's comments. I have two N82 Professional holsters, one for my Glock 17 and one for my Glock 30. I am left handed and the holster sits extremely comfortable on my left at about 8 o'clock. The soft leather/suede backing is very soft and the holster is extremely comfortable all day. The leather backing is high enough so no part of the gun ever touches your skin or shirt. N82 has a 30 trial period - if you don't like it send it back for a refund.

#3 ·
Congratulations on your first week! Give it time, and you'll find ways that work for you. As for carrying being completely comfortable, it'll never happen. After all, you've got an inflexible piece of steel strapped to your waist. That being said, you'll get used to it over time and you'll find a comfort level that is relative to you, if that makes sense. I'm 6'0 and weigh 204. I carry a 1911 at the 3 o'clock position, and that's what works for me.

#4 ·
i can sell you a couple pairs of pants with larger waists bands. as they are a bit tight on me now.

wish i could close up a 32 in waist again. :-(

but yes for iwb you need a good 2 inches more in there sizing.
can not say about a small frame. lost mine decades back.

try appendix. or cross draw, a sticky holster?
check out crossbreed holsters. de santas.
can you have the gun at your side while driving?
a bit hot down your way. but maybe a jacket to cover a owb holster?

#5 · (Edited)
Holster, gun and belt selection all affect how it rides. Some car or truck seats are worse that others for carry as well. It may take some trial and error on what works best for you. I find adjusting the lumbar support out , it makes a more comfortable fit in my bucket seat.
Loose clothing helps hide a pistol better too.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#6 ·
You likely will try other options in both guns and holsters. But you will arrive at the right place where you feel right with what you're carrying and how you're carrying it.

Remember: carrying a gun is not supposed to feel comfortable; its supposed to feel comforting.

I am most partial to all steel (metal alloy) framed guns. But for carrying purposes I've come to enjoy polymer framed guns.

#7 ·
I usually don't holster when driving routine routes and instead keep my weapon wedged between the seat and the center console. It's easy to slip it into the holster before I exit the vehicle, even before opening the door. And retrieving it from a knee side position is much easier than reaching back thru a seat belt to pull it from a holster while seated behind the wheel. For long drives I prefer a Miami Classic or similar SH system. As for other times of carry with pistols other than my single stacks, I prefer leather. For me it seems to conform to my build better. VM2 works very well...so does a Royal Guard.

#28 ·
I usually don't holster when driving routine routes and instead keep my weapon wedged between the seat and the center console. It's easy to slip it into the holster before I exit the vehicle, even before opening the door. And retrieving it from a knee side position is much easier than reaching back thru a seat belt to pull it from a holster while seated behind the wheel. For long drives I prefer a Miami Classic or similar SH system. As for other times of carry with pistols other than my single stacks, I prefer leather.{/B] For me it seems to conform to my build better. VM2 works very well...so does a Royal Guard.

Bolded section is what I was going to suggest. If you plan on being seated, desk, vehicle, etc for MOST of your carry time, then a Shoulder Holster rig should be considered. If other considerations limit you to waist band carry, then you might consider OUTSIDE the waist band/paddle carry with an open cover garment. Solves the "need a bigger waist sized pair of pants" problem.

#10 ·
I'm a tall, skinny guy too at 6'5" and about 190. I carry IWB all day with a Sig P229 in a hybrid style holster similar to yours. It's positioned at roughly the 4:00-4:30 point on my waist with a relatively high ride height. Playing with the ride height made a big difference when seated. I'm a mechanic, so I'm in and out of a wide variety of vehicles all day. Some I notice it, but most I don't. The sportier the car, the worse it is. But also the longer you carry, the less it will bother you.

The Black Arch stuff is great. I've got one of their older models for a Beretta 92 and it's very comfortable, and conceals well with a loose cover shirt.

Reactions: blackhawkfann24
#11 ·
I had the same problems as you when I started. I'm 5'9" 160 and did the same thing. I changed my carry position to 1 o'clock and found it much easier for everything. Sitting, standing, moving, hiding, everything. Just a thought!! It will get less noticeable after some time.

Did you try sending stealthgear a email about the gun you have? I know they will make a holster for any gun, but if they don't have it you have ever to ask or call

#12 ·
Like you I had to find the sweet spot for the gun to be comfortable seated or standing. For me it was at about 3:30 with as much forward cant as possible. Then I had to adjust up and down to get the gun butt to ride right under my "Love Handle". You will find a slight hollow spot just under your ribs that will help hide your gun. DR

#13 ·
Fool around with where you wear it a little bit and see if it gets better. It might, or it might not, or you might just get used to it. If you havent already done so, get a goog belt because that will help keep it in place.

#14 ·
I am 5 ft 10 in and 165 lbs, and I carry my 1911 or XDS 3.3 inch .45 at 3 O'clock using an Alien Gear Holster (what I found to be the most concealable yet out of my assorted holsters which includes a Galco King Tuk, Stealth Gear IWB and Galco SH holster. The XDS is less than one inch wide (.9 inches) and is 100% hidden even at the 3 O'clock. On the other hand I have to wear a little looser shirt with the 1911 to hide it and its width is around 1.3 inches nearly half an inch wider and it makes a huge difference in my opinion when trying to conceal. I noticed your firearm specs show it is 1.38 inches wide which is even wider than my 1911 so I could imagine it would be difficult to hide at 3 O'clock in a snug or slim fit T-shirt.

Have you considered trying a smaller version firearm like an XDS or something similar in width (I feel the width of the firearm is the biggest concern for myself because it stands out)? Just a thought...

#18 ·
Well, I really wanted a gun in DA/SA that had similar function to my SP-01. That's why I went with the PCR. I want the ability to be able to thumb the hammer when holstering. I also want a heavy trigger for the first shot. I much prefer hammer fired guns but I did consider the Shield. My long fingers found the single stack shield size too small to shoot accurately. At defensive distances it probably doesn't matter, and I still may pick up a shield w/ safety in the future.

I could change the grips to VZ's and that will take off roughly .2". Or I could just pick up a shield, or just grab a LCP custom for pocket carry when I am not feeling like carrying IWB.

#15 ·
I have sixty pounds on you, but my 34" size larger waist pants work fine for carrying concealed. For me, it is a matter of the right gear carried in the right position. I carry a Glock 21 in a low-riding, 22-degree cant pancake holster at 3:00 without issue. It rides comfortably when driving or otherwise seated. The holster has leather loops, so metal clips don't dig into my side or my knuckles when I draw.

Reactions: GpTom
#16 ·
For me, I would only consider carrying everyday with a small pocket gun.

So a J frame with 2" barrel or small auto like an LCP or similar.

And it should weigh no more than 20 oz empty.

I was really worried about printing or someone figuring out I was carrying.

No one has, and some of my friends are gun guys who would likely bring it up if they noticed.

This is all my opinion, and others may feel they need a bigger gun than I do.

But I got through 60+ years without a gun ever, so I figure a J frame and a couple reloads is a big step up in personal security -- and I haven't felt the need for a 17 shot Glock or a 1911 -- at least not yet.

#17 ·
Give a the old college try...you will get it worked out. And, you will also understand why we all have so many unused holsters and unused guns...we find something better as time goes along.

#19 ·
Try appendix carry 12:30 or 1:00 O'clock...with your frame it will work well. no printing at all, better gun control and with the right holster it will be comfortable. Watch some Youtube videos about appendix carry. there are some good videos with tips and holster recommendations.

#23 ·
Way back when I was skinny I carried cross-draw. It was a snub-nose revolver, comfortable, and easy to access with either hand.
I am no longer skinny and have found carrying at 2-2:30 with 25-30° cant is comfortable, even while driving.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Probably going to get "flamed" over this but I have been using Versacarry "holsters" for several years now with my Ruger LCP and LC9s Pro. Yes they are both small handguns but with the minimalist Verscarry, you forget your wearing a gun.
The critics of Versacarry talk about no trigger guard, plastic tube in gun barrel, you can't re-holster, etc. but if your a competent gun owner with some common sense, they are non-issues.
Just another option for carrying concealed....

#26 ·
I am 5' 7", 160 lbs, so not quite as thin as you. I resisted appendix carry for years. But I finally found a good, comfortable, AIWB holster a few months ago and I have been carrying my G19 appendix ever since. It is the most comfortable & concealable method of carry I have tried since I started carrying.

#27 ·
I initially tried 4:00 carry, but needed a cant of 25-30 to keep from printing like Random House. I carry AIWB around 2:00. It's also easier to draw and defend from a take-away.

Reactions: Ped3612
#29 ·
I like appendix carry for IWB and I just take my holster off when driving. As others have said you'll find out what suits you best after you carry for a while and try different positions, holsters, guns etc.

Finding that out is half the fun although it can get expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.