Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father passed away unexpectedly in September. Ever since I was a kid he had a 30-30 in his closet. When my mom and I were cleaning his things I noticed it was gone and she said she didn't know what happened to it. I was bummed as I wanted it for sentimental reasons.

My brother in law came over tonight to help run some wiring for my car lift in my shop and we got to discussing my range time last night. He said " you know I have your dad's 30-30". I said "no, I didn't know that". He said my dad had given it to him many years ago as a birthday present before I was really into guns heavily.

He told me he would give it to me if I wanted it. I didn't want to be rude as it was a gift to him but it would mean a lot to me to have it. I explained that to him and he said that I should have it. So he is bringing it over Saturday for me.

I may not even shoot it but I wanted it because my dad has had it since before I was even born.

·
Administrator
143,950 Posts
A nice old 30/30 is a treasure in itself and even more so if it has sentimental value.
You'll have a nice family heirloom coming to you.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
It is nice to have something thats been in the family a long time ... Very nice of him to give it to ya ..

What ya gonna give him in return|?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. My response to your brother in law would have been as follows. I'll get it on the way out. Nuff said...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss - and happy that you'll end up with that 30-30. My grandpa had an old Mauser that I really wanted. It was stock, beat up, not worth a thing, but it was what he always hunted with. After he died, my cousin took his guns to a pawn shop.
Good that you've found your dad's gun. Those kinds of things do mean a lot.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Your BIL sounds like a considerate guy - and it will be good for you to have that gun. Most pleasing.

I know it may sound sentimental but for me anyways as a gunny - I regard old firearms with family connections as being somehow imbued with ''something'' from the departed previous owner.

Ok it's in the imagination but - works for me!

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Treasures of a sentimental nature are the best kind. I have a knife that I gave to my father about fourty years ago and would not trade it for the world. If you feel like it shoot that old 30-30. It will bring you pleasure.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sorry for you loss.

When my Grandfather passed he had an Ithica Mod 37 20 gauge. In fact this was the first gun that I ever shot, so it had a bunch of sentimental value to me. Somehow it disappeared and no one in my family got it. I suspect that my Grandfather's second wife's kids got it. I was lucky that I was able to get a very old .32 Smith and Wesson Revolver that my great grandfather carried when he was sheriff back in the 1920's and served as my Grandfather's "carry gun" (Long before CCL!!). My older brother really lucked out and got my Grandfather's "Sweet 16" Browning and a very old Smith and Wesson revolver that broke open to load and didn't have a trigger guard. I have no idea what model it was but I think it was in .38.

You have a cool brother in law. The fact that he would give the rifle over to you is really kind. Family members can sometimes be really selfish.

I wouldn't consider him a brother in law anymore......I would consider him to be a brother!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Sorry for your loss!

My father passed in 2002 and I have his guns. Some he gave me many years ago, others after he passed. Shoot the 30-30, your father would want you to enjoy it. Take special care of it as well. As for your brother-in-law, find out what he would want and on his next birthday see to it that he gets it (within reason of course). He may simply want a 30-30 just like this one. If so get him one. If his birthday is after Christmas make it a Christmas gift. I agree with Doc, sounds more like a brother than a brother-in-law.

Again, my condolences.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; [1] believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. -John 14:1-3

My mom passed last Dec 1, so I can relate. Pain will ease with time.
Good to know that your BIL is stand up guy....
God bless and keep you.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Your brother-in-law sounds like a good man. Glad you could get the gun back.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all of you and dimmak thank you for that scripture it helps. You guys are all great!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Buy your outstanding brother in law a firearm of equal value. Take him shoping and let him pick it out, it's the least you can do.

Jungle Work

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
everyone else has expressed the condolences on your daddy , I will touch on another issue . That is a Brother in law worth having , graciously accept his offer and try and pick him up something ( a firearm ) to fill the hole in his safe . A guy like that you want to keep arround and happy lol

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
sorry for your loss. now you have something that you can pass to your son. over the years i have had several family guns given to me. i must be the only one in the family that will not sale them to a pawn shop and they (the family) knows that they (the guns) are not going anywhere and are safe with me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Marlin 30-30 that I bought new 30years or so ago. It has some scars from riding in the gun rack of th pick-up & brush & stuff. I still work's as good as it did when it was new. My boy's love it as much as I do. I don't know wich one will end up with it but I know that it's next home will be as good as this one.:smile: To pass your fire arm's down to your childern is a joy that is hard to explain. I don't plan on doing it for a very long time but will do it myself before I pass (unless it's by acciden't or something). To keep them happy untill then I'll just buy them some.:image035: :wave:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts