Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Georgia, the firearms license covers both concealed and open carry. While I do not need one to carry in my store or home, the LEO that patrols my area suggested I get one because it just eliminates a whole lot of potential problems. Crime has unfortunately risen dramatically recently and I would like to point out this man has been an outstanding officer who has helped us with a few minor issues over the years and seems genuinely concerned about the welfare of all the hard working business owners of this complex. He was also the one that pointed me in the direction of my Glock 27 that I dearly love.

Anyways, Georgia is a "shall issue" state and the particular county and I reside in is Columbia County. The firearms license is issued through the Probate Court. I showed up one afternoon, went through security, and entered the probate office. One of the first things I saw was a big sign that said, "We respect your right to not include your social security number on your firearms license form." This instantly gave me a comforting feeling.

The clerk greeted me and I asked if I could apply for my firearms license. She frowned and said, "I'm sorry, we don't do those on days that court is in session because we're so busy and the cashbox is in the courtroom." We were the ONLY people in the office. She then smiled though and said, "I can't really say we're busy right now though can I? If you have exact change I'll go ahead and do it."

Fortunately I did have exact change since I had researched the amount on the county website. I filled out the application and presented my driver's license, leaving my SSN off and answered the NICS questions. I paid my $55 and had my right index finger printed and was done.

I asked her, if the SSN wasn't required, why did they have a spot for it on the form? She said that sometimes people have very common names and move frequently and the SSN can expedite the process.

So, I thanked her for her time and almost thanked her for the 2 inches of thong and tramp stamp I got to stare at while she ran my NICS check.

Approximately 2 weeks later, my license arrived in the mail, with a copy of the firearms license law, and a recommendation to check out GeorgiaPacking.org for relevant information. Apparently Judge Pat Hardaway is a very pro-gun rights person. In a recent interview about increased gun sales and firearms license applications she stated, "I have a new Glock."

I have been carrying my G27 in a Supertuck now for a week everywhere I can and have enjoyed the sense of security I get from knowing I can protect myself, my family, and my employees. I have also been surprised at how much more observant I have become when I am out. It's like watching the world from a completely different vantage. Now if we can only get the Georgia legislature to relax these stupid "public gathering" restrictions and make the entire state open to carry.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
So, I thanked her for her time and almost thanked her for the 2 inches of thong and tramp stamp I got to stare at while she ran my NICS check.
:haha:

Ahh yes, the nice helpful gals with thongs and tramp stamps. :wink:

Welcome :wave:

Biker

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Howdy neighbor. Good to see a fellow Georgian exercising their right to CC. Stay safe! :hand10:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Quote:

Biker
yes, so helpful and adding that extra special customer service touch
makes one wonder if the office staff is like that, what does the judge have on under the robe :rofl:

congrats on the license app experience :congrats:
welcome to the group

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Good story, thanks for sharing. Welcome :wave:

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Comgrats on your permit.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Welcome! Great example for some in government service.

Did you see what she had in her thong?

Attachments

·
Banned
471 Posts
Howdy neighbor. Good to see a fellow Georgian exercising their right to CC. Stay safe! :hand10:
One small correction. It's a privilege. A right is an action that one is free to exercise without paying the government for permission to do.

Thank you Biomortis, for taking the effort to have the ability to provide for your and your familie's protection.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
:haha: It was a right before it was a privilege. All creatures have the right from birth to defense, it's not something they should ask for or be privileged to enact. JMO

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I asked her, if the SSN wasn't required, why did they have a spot for it on the form? She said that sometimes people have very common names and move frequently and the SSN can expedite the process.
+1 on that. My name is common enough that if don't include my SSN, it'll flag my application.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
yes, so helpful and adding that extra special customer service touch
makes one wonder if the office staff is like that, what does the judge have on under the robe :rofl:
Sounds like she probably has that new glock of hers under the robe.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts

Welcome :wave:

Biker

I have a Cousin in Sacramento, whom i have'nt seen since 1992, and in Cali., they were called Santa Monica Liscense Plates

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

·
Registered
709 Posts
I admit, I had to Google "tramp stamp" to confirm my suspician that it means "lower back tatoo." I'm so out of it.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
What can I say....some states are more Constitutionally-grounded than others! Welcome to the club!

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Congrats on that new permit...GA is now a little safer!:bier:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Congradulations!

Now lets have Georgia and West Virginia get reciprocity. I had to get a Non-Res New Hampshire permit to carry when going there a couple weeks ago on a visit to wife's relatives then to the Gunshine State of Florida.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Thanks for the post, and welcome.

Just in case, I always go ahead and post my SS# Just to make sure their is no delay

1 - 20 of 26 Posts