Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit, Texas (or at least my area) is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. I have met many friendly people who appear to be very genuine in their kindness. The restaurants in Midland are nice. There seems to be plenty of things to keep one busy. My only complaint is that it's not easy finding a job here. But hey, as I understand it, it's not easy anywhere :smile:

At any rate, in my first two weeks (or so) here, I have seen one 51% sign, but no 30.06 signs. However, out here, a lot of places have a sign stating that "Unlicensed possession of a firearm is a felony punishable by..." in English and Spanish everywhere.

What's the deal with these? They hold no legal weight like a 30.06 sign does, right?

·
Registered
335 Posts
You have a license so therefore, it is legal for you to carry.

This is just telling criminals it is a crime to illegally carry a gun.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
welcome to the Lone Star State
You're around my old stomping grounds, grew up in Odessa.

I think you won't find many 30.06 signs there except for the hospital and their clinics.

Good luck with the job hunt

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Welcome to Texas, the jobs will come back around partner. I was just down in Midland in August for a conference. Texas in my view was one of the last few States to actually get hit by the recession, but hit we did get. So it might take us a little while longer to get out of it since it took a while longer to get here.

Might be down Midland way this August again if they hold the conference there again, I'll give you a holler if they, dinner will be on me as a welcome to Texas dinner LOL.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be down Midland way this August again if they hold the conference there again, I'll give you a holler if they, dinner will be on me as a welcome to Texas dinner LOL.
Mighty kind of you!

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Those "unlicensed posession...." signs basically mean that they sell alcohol there. If you look at the fine print on them you will see that they are courtesy of the Alcoholic Beverage Commision.
The only signs we need to worry about are the 30.06 and the 51%.

+1 on what you said about the people here!
I moved here in '06 and my only regeret is I didn't do it sooner!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Those "unlicensed posession...." signs are just a notification to gun-toting criminals that when they enter that establishment they are now committing a felony instead of just a misdemeanor.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Glad you're feeling welcome here... The job search will turn up something soon...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Do away with jails......

You have a license so therefore, it is legal for you to carry.

This is just telling criminals it is a crime to illegally carry a gun.
All we need are more of these signs...duh.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I wish you guys wouldn't be so nice to the newbie - you're making me homesick!!!!

I'm a ...

West Virginian by birth,
Christian by choice,
Texan by the Grace of God,
Temporarily forced to live among the heathen.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I wish you guys wouldn't be so nice to the newbie - you're making me homesick!!!!

I'm a ...

West Virginian by birth,
Christian by choice,
Texan by the Grace of God,
Temporarily forced to live among the heathen.
LOL LMBO, can't help it Majorlk, you know how it goes.:smile:

·
Registered
369 Posts
We do things a little different here in Texas

I must admit, Texas (or at least my area) is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. I have met many friendly people who appear to be very genuine in their kindness. The restaurants in Midland are nice. There seems to be plenty of things to keep one busy. My only complaint is that it's not easy finding a job here. But hey, as I understand it, it's not easy anywhere :smile:

At any rate, in my first two weeks (or so) here, I have seen one 51% sign, but no 30.06 signs. However, out here, a lot of places have a sign stating that "Unlicensed possession of a firearm is a felony punishable by..." in English and Spanish everywhere.

What's the deal with these? They hold no legal weight like a 30.06 sign does, right?
TRUE Texans are almost always like that. Heck, even in the big nasty city of Houston you will find a few kind Texans. Welcome to Gods country. I should be out that way in a couple of weeks, and burgers at Michaels are on me! Not to mention, my company is looking for people out that way...:yup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The "Unlicensed possession of a firearm ..." signs are misunderstood just like mattress tags. Plain language but people misread/misinterpret them all the time. As a CHL holder in Texas, you ARE licensed so therefore, it's not a crime for YOU to carry on that premisis. Also, as a CONSUMER, it is not a crime to remove the tag off one's matress; the tag is there for the retailer ... but that's another lecture ...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Welcome to TX. I've seen plenty of the "tricky" signs that really only say no unlicensed carry.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Welcome from San Antonio!

In general, folks are pretty friendly here, and, as you've found, there just aren't many places you can't carry if you have your CHL. It's quite rare to see a 30.06 sign around here, and those are pretty easy to avoid.

Drop a note if you're ever going to be in San Antonio!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts