Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Yep, I guess it's supposed to happen if you O.C. regardless, but my "first" was yesterday, and it left an awfully bad taste in my mouth, even though it wasn't super bad or anything.

I'm a younger guy, red-haired dude that welcomes people a lot, and I openly carry a medium-large sized revolver as an EDC (it's what I'm most accustomed to) in Tennessee, and I was surprised at my little run-ins today.

I had a doctor appointment and errands to run in the afternoon, so I dropped by a local gas station to top off beforehand. I casually slid in an got hooked on the door by some joker (loud, middle aged idiot carrying 2 cases of Bud Lite, probably intoxicated) with a quick, unfriendly question:

"Hey, boy! Hey, why you got that gun sittin' on yer hip like that, huh?!"

"It's there for the bad guys." I smartly replied with a smile as I moved along.

"That crap's just plain asinine! Look at this kid walking around with this gun onem'!" he exclaimed across both the interior of the store and the parking lot.

I sharply glared at this guy to try to sense his motives a bit more closely, I was really too close to this foolish :sheep:.

I kept my eyes on this dirtbag as I once again tried to continue out the door, then he seemed to advance at bit at me with his free hand.

I lunged clock-wise about three feet, he was at my 2, with my hand hovering my holster and I calmly advised him that it'd be a really good idea to back off.

He mumbled some raff under his breath and stormed out the door, but my nerves were eased a little as I got profuse apologies from almost everyone in the store, but I just wanted to get out of that place with my gas.

So, off to the doc.!:bier:

Little to my knowledge, I quickly find out that my family doctor of some twenty-something years is a full blown anti-gun, liberal, and he lets me know this; "the world would be a better place without guns" he says.

He was rather reasonable about it, not kicking my out of his office or anything, but he felt it damn necessary to voice his viewpoints on guns thoroughly (at which point I felt was absolutely unethical) in my paid session.

"I know for a fact that the crime rate would be greater if everyone was waking around with guns."

"I thought we grew away from the wild West?"

"What happens when all the crazies who are hopped up on dope and drunk all have guns?"

"In my whole life I have yest to see anyone need the assistance of a fire-arm."

Now, of course I had some very thought out counterpoints, but after a volley of about 3 or 4, and trying to level the discussion by making it clear I'm not trying to push him around by any means (I was being nice about it :tongue:) I started wondering if I was going to get what I actually came here for.

Then, with red eyes, he just asked a paltry question or two and wondered off to another patient. I was confronted by the secretary and was informed that the person who was out today was going to be handling some referrals that were planned, and they would call me. :tired: /sigh

I wanted to let the doc. know he could climb up the hill to his pretty glass house and bury his head in his sandbox if he wanted to, but again, another place I just wanted to get out of.

'Bout 7 or so, and I swing by my girlfriend's folk's house just to see what's happening.

I drop in, and her Mom sees me. I ask politely if it's alright if I bring an arm in the house (first time), and she's welcoming.

She even brings out her .22 pistol just to show it off :p. It was a fun little moment, but soon after she asks," Why do you carry around such a big gun all open like that?" (GAWD)

I just kept quiet, spent some time with the gal and got out of there.

And that's the mentally exhausting day I had with O.C. in my little town in Tennessee.

Thank you, O.C. support group, for reading my little diary entry. :king:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Definitely a tough OC day

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't wait!

Sound like its time to find a new doc! Oh wait, Obama will take care of that for you.

I just got my CC license and haven't really worn it in few yet. I'm still waiting for my holster to come in but I too expect questions and glares. :argue: I'll keep everyone posted if I get "the treatment".

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Not real bad overall, but I can see how it could make you uncomfortable. Couple things. Don't talk to idiots. No law says you have to respond, so don't.
If you feel uncomfortable with your doc now, find another. It took a while but I found a great ex-navy doc that packs a USP .40. Turns out he's the best doctor I've ever had.
GF's mom will probably get used to you. Sounded more curious than anything.
You handled things well, though.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Good counter to the jerk in the store; I would have told the doctor to mind his own business, and that if it wasn't for people like us, he wouldn't have any freedoms left.

·
Registered
541 Posts
sounds like a busy day and you handled it all will. But Im not so sure I would have wasted my time on the loud mouth in the store..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am not sure that I would have stayed at the doctor's office for the completion of the "exam" unless it was urgent.

For someone to get that angry while "performing" their professional duty is a bit absurd. Pay for the treatment in person and explain why he has lost a patient.

the explanation should start with a lack of professionalism, a lack of patient concern and a distinct lack of courtesy for legal constitutional rights for his patients.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Woah, rough day. :(
Sorry you had to deal with a buncha maroons. HATE days like that.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
PA is an open carry state as well, but what you stated reinforces why I would never OC. It's just too much work dealing with all the sheeple!

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
One run in with an idiot, and finding out that your Doctor is an anti. Not a great day.

But, the idiot is just a random encounter, no big deal. just watch for him in the future since you both shop at the same place. And, find another Doctor. There are tons of them and right now at least, you have the right to find any Doc you want to use.

Soot to hear that the sheeple are so prevalent in your part of our state.:frown:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I got knocked off my bike in Lebenon,Tenn. years ago coming back from N.M. That town was not gun friendly. Had two pistols in my saddle bags. When me and the bike went over the car the bags exploded. The sheriff wanted to lock me up while I was in the ER.
Always look professional when open carrying around town. I wear good leather gear. People think I am are working. I would have told the guy at the store I was going shooting. First choice is not responde or just grin.

Semper Fi

P.S. Lose the attitude You get more flies with honey.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sounds like a successful day for an OC-er. (where is the tongue i cheek icon)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Jeez, tough OC day. When I read these I am always thankful I have never had to deal with the problems. Not yet anyway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It ain't much better in my part of the state either. Sorry you had a rough day!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sorry you had such a rough OC day. Hang in there and try not to let the sheep get you down.

It is inedible that one of these days someone who was so rude to a law abbiding citizen exersicing their legal right to carry will be wishing that gun toting person was with them to save their sorry but in a bad situation!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would immediately have my medical files moved to another doctor and I would make sure to let the former doctor know you moved your business elsewhere because you did not appreciate having to listen to his anti-crap while on your dime.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I've never had one bad encounter in my entire time of carrying a weapon!

Probably never will, either. But then again, no one knows I'm carrying a gun. No worries, eh?

OC is just not for me. I don't begrudge others though for doing as they wish.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You just proved the old saying "when it rains, it pours!"

I'm going to my doctor in a couple of weeks; maybe I'll try open carrying. In past appointments, I've always pocket carried, so no belt holsters to deal with when disrobing. I tested him once by sitting in the exam room reading John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime." He asked about it and seemed interested in the premise of the book, certainly not a foaming at the mouth anti.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts