Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were driving south on I-95 & I-85 last night and stopped for gas just south of Richmond, VA around 10:30 pm. We had a five-hour drive from NoVA to our destination, so I had removed my overcoat for the trip. My P226 was riding in a yaqui slide holster on my belt - shirt untucked over the gun.

We pulled into a busy, and well-lit gas station. My wife had her snubbie in her coat pocket and walked into the station to get something to drink. I got out to fuel the truck and as I was opening the back door to get my overcoat, I touched at my Roscoe and realized my shirt had ridden up over the gun, leaving it exposed. I quickly pulled it over the gun.

As I glanced around to see if anyone noticed, a woman gassing up her car at another pump was looking at me with VERY large eyes. She quietly and quickly got in her car. I put on the coat, and finished pumping the gas. I went in to use the bathroom when my wife came out, and we left and got back on the interstate headed south.

Just as we were leaving, I noticed the car with the woman who may have seen my piece had another middle-aged female who was riding with her finish pumping the gas.

Soon after I was rolling south, a VA state trooper was on my tail for about two miles. He then pulled around me and got off the next exit.

Coincidence?

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Maybe, maybe not, but seriously--- OCers need to realize that the practice alarms folks, especially in areas of the country where OC is not commonly practiced.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it is the way it is.

If the law in my state changed to allow OC, I'd expect that some folks would be wide eyed the first few times they saw someone carrying like that.

At least the trooper didn't pull you over.

·
Registered
929 Posts
not likely ... I bet the ladies called smokey to report a man with a guna at the gas station with plates & vehicle info. During the 2 mile tail, he ran your plates, saw your CCW status in good order with no wants or warrants & went on to more important matters.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Coincidence?
No, not at all. Lady at the pump probaby dialed 911 as quickly as possible to report a "man with a gun".

The Trooper was probably just as angry at having to "tail" you, but it was his duty to at least check you out, just in case you were waving said firearm wildly about. I can almost hear his grumbling.

It is amazing how just the sight of a firearm can bring sheer terror into the flock of sheep.

·
Registered
756 Posts
not likely ... I bet the ladies called smokey to report a man with a guna at the gas station with plates & vehicle info. During the 2 mile tail, he ran your plates, saw your CCW status in good order with no wants or warrants & went on to more important matters.
Agreed, most likely explanation.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
One thing that draws much more attention than a sidearm is someone rushing to conceal one that's showing as if trying to hide it while doing the bobble head scan looking for anyone who may have seen it.

It's kind of like when you drop a gun accidentally, your first reaction is to grab it. We all know that you have to learn to let it go. Same for realizing your not concealed. Act like it's the most normal thing in the world and re-cover leisurely. A smile and nod to anyone that sees it will go far.

Think of how not to spook the sheep.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Agreed, most likely explanation.
+1 on the most likely explanation...

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is possible that she freaked and called the cops.. Being from VA and OC'ed often (mainly when I go somewhere where CC is off limits and forced to OC then forget to re-conceal), I have never had anyone call the cops on me.. Well, If they did, I was never stopped or noticed a cop following me.. I think your quick attempt to re-conceal your firearm might have been what set the lady off.. I have found that if you are confident about what you are doing, people just move along..

VA is an OC state and a lot of people do it here.. You usually get more bug eyes or strange looks from the larger cities.. Generally most of the LEOs in VA know the laws and won't bother you if they notice you carry.. I have passed several LEOs while walking around OC'ing and I will get stopped to ask about my firearm and where I practice at.. General gun-guy to gun-guy questions..

·
Registered
220 Posts
OCing might make some people nervous, poorly done CC and suspicious looks to make sure no one saw the gun will rightfully make most people a bit nervous.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe? At least here in OR & WA the CC permit is tied to the drivers license - not the vehicle tag.

I'd agree with running tags and seeing it wasn't stolen and saw you do nothing else suspicious and went on with life. Respond out of duty to double check a report, but not worry too much since a gun isn't a big deal and you obviously didn't rob the place.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It is amazing how just the sight of a firearm can bring sheer terror into the flock of sheep.
People instantly think BG w/ gun. Seriously ??...... the media has totally warped America.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
There is no OC in Texas and I really wish there was.

There may be time and place where I could use more that I can CC.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Maybe? At least here in OR & WA the CC permit is tied to the drivers license - not the vehicle tag.
When tags are run, it shows the registered owner. From there, pulling up that person's DL info, warrants, criminal history, and CHL status is just a click or two away.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
One thing that draws much more attention than a sidearm is someone rushing to conceal one that's showing as if trying to hide it while doing the bobble head scan looking for anyone who may have seen it.

It's kind of like when you drop a gun accidentally, your first reaction is to grab it. We all know that you have to learn to let it go. Same for realizing your not concealed. Act like it's the most normal thing in the world and re-cover leisurely. A smile and nod to anyone that sees it will go far.

Well stated.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
VA CHP is not tied to your vehicle tags, it is linked to your drivers license. The fact that the trooper followed you then went around is probably nothing more than coincidence. Since you were just south of Richmond I'd guess you were in the Chester/Petersburg area. OC is not unusual in that area, if someone freaked it was probably someone like you, who was just passing through.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

I agree with both of these statements. They probably called, and it was probably because you tried to hide it quickly. It is amazing how much you can do or "get away with" if you just act calm and like you are just going about your business and have a purpose. Not just with guns either, life in general.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
VA CHP is not tied to your vehicle tags, it is linked to your drivers license. The fact that the trooper followed you then went around is probably nothing more than coincidence. Since you were just south of Richmond I'd guess you were in the Chester/Petersburg area. OC is not unusual in that area, if someone freaked it was probably someone like you, who was just passing through.
Yep, a lot of snow birds heading south on I-95. Folks from NY and NJ.

Probably not use to seeing regular people carrying.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I OC on occasion. If you are well dressed and confident in your movements, people do not seem to get concerned. If you are dressed more casually and are rushing to conceal while looking around, people get the impression you are up to something. Since I have to do the Virginia Tuck when we eat out at a place that serves alcohol, I think nothing of unconcealing as we enter and re-concealing as we leave. I am confident in my rights and the law and I act as if it isn't any big deal...others tend to react accordingly. Just my observations.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts