Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, been reading the forums for the past few days and figured I would talk about my positive experiences I've had OC'n.
First time I OC'd, I was going to Arby's (mmmm). The cashier lady noticed it but didn't say anything. She looked slightly nervous but I sat down and started eating with my buddy. She was cleaning the lobby and we struck up a conversation. I think she realized that I was just a normal guy that was carrying a pistol. Another good experience was today when I went to pick up a computer case from a contact on a different forum. The persons wife came out with the case and noticed it. I paid her and when I was about to leave, she asked "Is that real?". I said it was and she just said OK, and I loaded up my car and left. So far I've had good experiences. I live in MO, and here its basically up to the city/counties to make the OC laws. but my city/county hasn't made any laws outlawing OC, so I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Glad you're experience was a pleasant one...

·
Registered
862 Posts
WELCOME from Southern Illinois! Sounds like you got it going.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I'm glad you had a couple of good experiences with OC. I grew up and still live in Missouri and have never felt comfortable open carrying here. Maybe because I grew up in Kansas City where OC is definitely a No Go and frequent St. Louis and Columbia several times a year.

I do live in rural Missouri now and although I have seen a few people open carry, it is a very rare occurrence, and usually only around hunting season.

Good luck and stay safe.

And WELCOME TO DC.com! Glad to have you here!

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret :31:

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

Most people don't even notice a gun, and if they do the majority assume your LEO.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
"Is that real?"
"No Mam, I carry a toy gun". Where does a question like that even come from? What are people thinking?

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
"Is that real?"
"No Mam, I carry a toy gun". Where does a question like that even come from? What are people thinking?
Don't be so hard on your fellow man. As you already know, in our society today, there are more people uneducated about guns than people like us. The poor woman really didn't know WHAT to say. So she simply blurted out whatever popped into her head. Not everyone has Jay Leno-quality comeback skills.

She really wanted to know WHY he was OCing, but didn't know how to ask. You can either choose this moment to brush off her concerns, or use it as a teachable moment. Sometimes it's not worth it, somethimes it is.

In most places OC is legal, it still isn't common. You have to expect these queries. I usually only OC if I am wearing a suit/tie. You get a LOT less questions. YMMV.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where abouts in MO are you?

I am down in the extreme SW. So far down I work in OK and go to the bookstore in AR! HAHA

I dont really open carry much. Some during hunting season. I do OC when going to visit my brother in TN.
Trying to beat it in him to get his permit.

Nice to see you OC went good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in Rolla, MO. Most people see it but are probably too nervous to say anything. I need to go to Wally World to get some more ammo today. I've been going to Fort Leonard Wood to get my shooting skill up. We will see how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Walmart was thankfully uneventful. I thought a manager was following me at first but he was just walking in my same direction. A high schooler (I think) saw it in electronics and got all wide eyed. I lol'd a little inside.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Don't be so hard on your fellow man. As you already know, in our society today, there are more people uneducated about guns than people like us. The poor woman really didn't know WHAT to say. So she simply blurted out whatever popped into her head. Not everyone has Jay Leno-quality comeback skills.

She really wanted to know WHY he was OCing, but didn't know how to ask. You can either choose this moment to brush off her concerns, or use it as a teachable moment. Sometimes it's not worth it, somethimes it is.

In most places OC is legal, it still isn't common. You have to expect these queries. I usually only OC if I am wearing a suit/tie. You get a LOT less questions. YMMV.
I'm sorry,I understand ignorance on guns.I was there myself years ago. But I cant imagine, even at my most ignorance of times would think someone carrying a gun in a holster might be a toy. I'm sure the comment was made due to not really knowing just what to say. I understand lack of knowledge.
To ask "is that real" sounds like something that might come from an 8 year old.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

"Is that real?"

Wow...

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Glad you have had good OC experiences so far!

Welcome aboard!

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
barkin-
frequent St. Louis and Columbia several times a year.
My residence is in Columbia, before coming to Iraq I open carried almost every day and never had a problem. That includes down Broadway (main st.) in the middle of downtown. I did have a LEO working security at a Mosers grocery come over to me once and do a "bump" to check my reaction. We talked guns for a minute and he went back to flirting with the night office gal.

So feel fre to OC in Columbia, despite being a college town it is OC friendly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts