Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firearm Gun Trigger Ammunition Gun accessory

I CCW this a lot in the 6 mos I've had it, light at 1.5lbs and full-size but conceals easily under a short sleeve open shirt or vest.

I'm in NY State, for now 7 + 1 is the max load but I fully believe based on reports and just shooting the damn thing it is a fine SD gun. I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up. At rifle speed of 2000' per second and made to tumble on a hit 8 rounds is fine and other places you can shoot 20, so you are in great shape if in one of those states. The controls are easy to move with no extra finger/hand movement and the safety, just a bit forward and up from the trigger and guard, is the easiest and safest of safeties I've ever used.

The gun is really accurate, it shoots with a wicked crack and with flame out the barrel but your hand hardly bumps, it's chipmunk recoil allowing for very fast shots on target. I Carry an extra mag and with the time to shoot all rounds so fast in one mag can reload and be ready again in two seconds - and NO ONE is going to keep coming at you after being hit 8 times by rifle speed bullets that tumble, small or not.

Bullet is also made to slow quickly so there is no over-penetration nor would a ricochet have much force in a miss.

Used by the Secret Service and several SWAT teams here and by long list of specialty military and LE Units world-wide it seems the ideal gun for social action near innocents.

Why it beats a 22 Mag I can't tell you, I just know I've read what seem valid ballistic comparisons but I'm not a techie, just satisfied with what I have.

Ammo is opening up, I bought a thousand rounds just before the panic and now my range is getting it in at $25 a box of 50, same as what it was before the panic. Price has been steady.

I highly recommend the gun and the weird rifle-like ammo.

Best..

·
Registered
271 Posts
"I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up."

I am sorry, but there is no way this is true. The 5.7 has its place, but that place is one where body armor is common and velocity is king. There is no reason why when limited to 7+1, you should be carrying a suped up .22 instead of a 9mm,.40, or .45. Perhaps my 2 cents are unwelcome but I feel it had to be said.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
"I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up."

I am sorry, but there is no way this is true. The 5.7 has its place, but that place is one where body armor is common and velocity is king. There is no reason why when limited to 7+1, you should be carrying a suped up .22 instead of a 9mm,.40, or .45. Perhaps my 2 cents are unwelcome but I feel it had to be said.
At 2400 fps and 400 ft-lb? I think it's entirely feasible that it would "blow up" the inside of a neck. That's roughly equivalent to a .223 fired out of a 5-6" barrel. The 7+1 argument is good, though. Personally, I'd consider selling the weapon and use the funds towards moving to a free state.

edit: sorry, my numbers were a little high, looks like from the five-seven it's more like 2000 fps. Still, I'd say it's feasible. Necks are small.

Reactions: Taurahe and NH_Esau

·
Registered
11,157 Posts

You and a few others can say it, but it does not make it true. :yup:

·
Registered
941 Posts
View attachment 74009
I just read that someone shot in the neck had the interior of their neck just blow up.
The neck is an interesting cut of meat, with lots of things going on - skin, big arteries and veins, bone, cartilage, and some empty space in a relatively compact target. Hit it in the right place and it might indeed "just blow up," even with something moving with a lot less velocity than your 5.7. Hit it in another place, and you might get just a clean entry/exit and no real short-term effects, but just a couple millimeters left or right might bleed the guy out in short order or sever/shock the cord enough to drop him like a sack of rocks.

As for the firearm... hell, I'd love to have one. And I think it might make a great carry gun. But if you limit it to 7 rounds, what you've got is a range toy. Not that I'm opposed to range toys.

However, would love to see you post your own pic of your carry setup.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's an interesting round, and I wish it was utilized in more firearms that were a bit...cheaper.
Yes, cheap it's not, at $1200 likely over-priced by a $100 or so (due to no built-in night-sights) but originally due to bad arthritis I needed an easy recoil gun for SD and chose this one it pointed so well - I've been quite happy with it so I keep CCWing it (I have other guns too) -- even though for some odd and thankful reason my hand is better or at least feels better.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

No way I can disprove this except all these specialty military and LE Units world-wide do not use .22 But I understand the point, the round looks narrow and it's easy to say, "well, it's a 22". But it's a whooper more in reality.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kind of sucks you are getting robbed of 14 rounds living in NY, I think one of the biggest Pros of that gun is the potential capacity..
There's lots of talk of changing that... Hope so, makes no sense, difference between 8 and even 11 is not massacre vs a derringer. Silly law, has no purpose whatsoever.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The neck is an interesting cut of meat, with lots of things going on - skin, big arteries and veins, bone, cartilage, and some empty space in a relatively compact target. Hit it in the right place and it might indeed "just blow up," even with something moving with a lot less velocity than your 5.7. Hit it in another place, and you might get just a clean entry/exit and no real short-term effects, but just a couple millimeters left or right might bleed the guy out in short order or sever/shock the cord enough to drop him like a sack of rocks.

As for the firearm... hell, I'd love to have one. And I think it might make a great carry gun. But if you limit it to 7 rounds, what you've got is a range toy. Not that I'm opposed to range toys.

However, would love to see you post your own pic of your carry setup.
If I can take one of myself I'll send it along.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
No way I can disprove this except all these specialty military and LE Units world-wide do not use .22 But I understand the point, the round looks narrow and it's easy to say, "well, it's a 22". But it's a whooper more in reality.
5.7mm is 0.224" which is .224 caliber, so in effect is is a .22, just like a .223/5.56mm. Don't discount the ".22" though, as the .22HMR is capable of penetrating soft body armor, much like the 5.7mm, Good round, but if you're using hard tipped ammo, you may have to put multiple rounds into a person to stop a threat, and with a 7 round mag capacity limit, there are rounds I'd choose to carry before that one, like a 10mm or .41 magnum, or a .460 Rowland. When you're limited to the capacity of a revolver, you may as well make every shot as effective as possible.

Reactions: NH_Esau

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The 5.7 is great in a p90 with 50 rounds on full auto.... In a pistol or semi, not so much... That would be why most every swat team dumped them after its real lack of penatration and stopping fails bad in a number if shoots....

The Vmax ammo has about 4" of penatration...
Has 10" penetration, dunno about all the SWAT teams that stopped using it..

Have to say I know the controversy about "stopping power" but I'm not worried at all, as many as say "con" say "pro". I do know it allows great bullet placement and it hits at 2 thousand foot speed. Experts veterans with combat knowledge of guns from Iraq War I've met or work at my range and who know the gun respect it's power and have laughed when I asked about "stopping power" before I got one. When I asked two in the past about which 9mm round to get they're communal answer was "makes no difference. Out of a handgun if you're lucky you'll get one on target and the guy'll go down, whatever you're shooting. Most times they don't.."
I don't think they mean shoot BBs but get something you can hit repeatedly with fast - and stop worrying about "stopping" with a handgun. That plus their reaction to the 5.7 is enough for me, even if that were the only info I had.

I'm just giving my reaction to a gun I own and like and trust. Not trying to prove any "side". I CCW some of the "Big Shots" at times (including a Colt Python 4", great gun but feels like you're wearing a '60s Buick).

No argument with those ones either. I use what I want out of about 3 Carrys and each has minuses and plusses. None are magic.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Faster and lighter than a handgun round, but also slower and lighter than most rifle rounds, so...I have no clue how it actually stacks up as a man stopper. I will say this; the round has been around for a lot longer than most people imagine. It only garnered civilian attention because in 04' or 05' it became legal for civilians to own, but it actually came out way back in 93' or something, and has been in use by some LEA and military's since then.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.