Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gerber MKII was stolen in 1988. I had carried this one from 1977 until 1988. I knew who did it but he would never confess to it. He died and his son returned it to me.

I began carrying them in 1966 when they were first sold in the PX and went through a bunch. I have the 77 now and it's 90s replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Reactions: MIKECIB

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Very familiar with the GERBER MARK knives.

Glad that his Son was honest enough to return your knife to you.

Too bad that his old man didn't slip and fall onto it.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Glad you got your Gerber back! I carried a Gerber Guardian on my boot while I was a helicopter gunner. I purchased it at the Ft. Bragg PX. It got lost during a PCS. Mine was pretty beat up and had been in saltwater a few times.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I went TDY in 76 and a guy I thought was a friend got thrown out while I was gone. His last act on his way out was to break into the rooms of people he suspected of turning him in and stealing our stuff. He got my AF ring, my HS Ring, a coin set, and all of my jewelry. Most were gifts from family members and irreplaceable to me.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
I sold off a few way back when and then bought a newer one after I missed not having one around.

It's a very...."use specific" blade style. :yup:

Not really suited for peeling and cutting up potatoes on a camping trip. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
I still have a MK-I and a MK-II
Would never part with them.
Both purchased at Clark AB, PI

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Did you folks know that there is one version where the handle is intentionally canted at a slight angle so that the blade will be perfectly aligned when the knife is used to perform a number on the jugular from behind?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
That's funny, I heard it was designed that way so that it would lie along your leg without catching so much vegetation.

I believe that model was the original one with the "cat's tongue" sprayed metal grip. Those are gorgeous knives, wicked sharp, and you are right, they are definitely a special purpose tool.

OP, I'm glad to hear your knife found its way home.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
Just for the heck of it... My Mk II is SN# 004246. Can't remember the exact date of purchase.

·
8,501 Posts
Wasn't that based on the Fairbane (sp?) dagger of WW2?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I had a really beat up mark 2 my Dad found along side the road.

I gave it to a friend/coworker who has a great appreciation for such things,he was going to try and salvage it.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I'm not sure if it was based on the Fairbairn design or not but it's very similar. The grip shape is improved a bit The dagger is a very old concept.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
Wasn't that based on the Fairbane (sp?) dagger of WW2?
The blades are designed somewhat differently, other than both being double edged daggers. The Fairbairn-Sykes has a very pronounced diamond cross-section shaped blade with almost straight edges, just like the US WWII V-42 that the 1st Special Service Force issued. The Gerber has a "softer" diamond cross-section and the blade edges are almost wasp or Coke bottle shaped.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts