Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My larger flashlight is a Fenix UC35. 800 or 900 lumens at full bright. I used this one mostly for work. Tail switch is simple on and off and a separate button for differing light intensities and strobe. It turns on at the intensity it was set at last. It charges via USB.

My teensie flashlight is a Streamlight MicroStream USB. I use this one the most. 50 and 250 lumens switchable at the tail switch. Click it on and the intensity will be where it was when turned off. To change the intensity, double click the tail switch. It charges via USB. It's tiny in the hand and will clip to pants pockets, etc. and even a hat brim for hands-free. Well, if you're wearing a hat. Mine even survived the washing machine!

Costco is selling Duracell-branded LED flashlights in a shrink pack. The bigger one goes for 1500 lumens and the little ones are less, all in the same pack. Don't know much about them, I'd just seen them on the shelf.

I threw out my LED flashlights that forces you to go through several steps just to turn the durn thing off.

Reactions: SpringerXD

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
First of all, I totally love LED flashlights. They offer a lot of power in a small package and with good battery life. I probably have about 15 or more I've bought over the years.

Now the down side. Why can't I get a decent one with a plain ON/OFF function? I hate that on every one I buy these days, when you hit the OFF button, it first dims, then flashes, then turns green, then red, then blue, then whistles Dixie. Who would ever need all that crap? I'm tired of wondering what "mode" my flashlight will be in when I turn it on. I'm also tired of having to cycle through eight functions to turn it off.

It's ridiculous. I want the following:

I press the button once, it turns on at full power.
I press it again, it turns off.

End of discussion.

I know. First world problems.

Anyone else a bit aggravated by this?
You are buying the wrong flashlights, I have several and none of them work like that. All of mine turn on and off on the tail cap and have a thumb switch near the head to control lumens. When you turn it on it comes on at what ever the last lumen setting was.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I have a couple Nitecore rechargeables for general use around the house; forget the model, but the tail cap is just on/off; a separate button sets the brightness.

I like them quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nebo's lights turn off with a press. Press twice with them on they go to low. Press twice again and it strobes. Single press with them on and they turn off, no problemo.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I have a UltraFire flashlight that just turns off and on. Probably got it off Ebay some time ago. I just Googled--Ebay UltraFire 502B single mode flashlight-- and there were two right at the top of the page for $13.99 each.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The modes don't bother me at all. My favorites are three surfires, a bushnell and a Kobalt that all use the 123 batteries. The batteries last a long time and are much preferable than the ones with AAA batteries.

·
Super Moderator
20,035 Posts
First of all, I totally love LED flashlights. They offer a lot of power in a small package and with good battery life. I probably have about 15 or more I've bought over the years.

Streamlight ProTac 2L-X.

Yes, it's "programmable" but I read the instructions when it was new, and not since. Press the tailcap switch, it lights. Release, it's off. Press the tailcap switch until it clicks, it stays on until clicked off. Easy-peasy. About $50 in all the usual places.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have several Mini Mag lites that are LED and twist on twist off. Plus I converted my old Surefire 6P to LED, just has the end button, simple on-off.

Reactions: wdbailey

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my Olight S1 Mini Baton. It's literally the size of my thumb.

One click on - One click off for regular use (can be programmed for low, med, or high as the normal setting)

Double-click on - One click off in TURBO MODE!

Triple-click on - One click off in STROBE MODE!

Long press on - One click off in MOONLIGHT MODE!

It has other programmable features, but you can go straight to the main functions without clicking through a bunch of modes you don't want. For all modes, a single click turns it off.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts

Now the down side. Why can't I get a decent one with a plain ON/OFF function? I hate that on every one I buy these days, when you hit the OFF button, it first dims, then flashes, then turns green, then red, then blue, then whistles Dixie. Who would ever need all that crap? I'm tired of wondering what "mode" my flashlight will be in when I turn it on. I'm also tired of having to cycle through eight functions to turn it off.

End of discussion.

Buy a light with a single-function tailswitch. Problem solved.

Here's the one I currently carry, after having carried SureFires for many years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010ESCLHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
The various functions don't bother me near as much as the heat most give off with just a few minutes of use.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I have a small Coleman with a xenon led (if that's the correct name for it), aluminum case and butt switch. It's just on or off. And it's been through the wash a few times and still worked immediately after. That's in spite of the rubber on the switch having long since worn through.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I picked up a dozen small LED flashlights off Amazon.
On-off. When on, a light push of the tail switch dims it if you want.
No tactical scallops by the lens.
My only complaint it (for me) the pocket clip faces the wrong way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
the ones from china irritate me.:bigun2:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I can sympathize regarding just wanting a simple on/off rear tailcap. They are certainly out there in plenty, just need to look for them. I have a few Streamlight polytacs and microstreams that I keep around just for that; a simple, durable, decent power light (at least the ones that I have that are...5-6 years old?).

I have gotten into the Olights though as well. Switched over to their compact pistol lights and the SR1 Baton II as well. Really dig the SR1 since it is just an off/on button once you set it to the power you want, and if you want more power, simple to get more.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes. I hate having to cycle through a bunch of modes to get it where I want it. Only reason I have one of those by my bed is it was Christmas present from my son, and it still works. The minute I and the other 2 just like in the package fails, off to the garbage they go. Until then, I get to go on high beam, off, on low beam, off, on wide beam, off, and you guessed it, on strobe, off. I cycle it when I get done using it, back to where when I turn it on it's high beam. I have a Stanley flashlight about the same size, nowhere near as bright, and it flickers a bit. I may just put all these in the junk drawer as emergency lights, and get one of them olites....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a stream light strion that I have had for probably more than 10 years and love it its rechargeable and the tail cap if you click it all the way it stays on the highest power and you click to turn it off, if you hold it down when it's on it goes to medium and dim and if you double click it does strobe but the only things I use is momentary on off by pushing and not fully clicking it and regular on off. I very rarely use strobe accept playing around and sometimes I dim it down but I like that it turns on on the highest brightness. I'm still using the original battery that came with it and it still lasts a good while but since it came with a home and car charger I have a charger almost any time but I would like to get a couple more batteries to have on hand.

My stream light protac-2AAA works the same except I can't remember if it strobes and it's as thin as a pen and uses AAA batteries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

End of discussion.

Yes, I prefer a simple on/off function. Reliability is everything, I do dislike the chi com cheapies that fall apart or work intermittently. If I could find a well-made American-made LED flashlight with out a lot of "features" I would pay a premium to buy it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts