Defensive Carry banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I have a cheap Bushnell that uses a single AA battery which lasts a long time and gives out good light, don't know the lumen level. It has a tail switch and that's all it does - on and off. This thing is several years old, has been through both the washer and dryer more than once and just works. The only down side is I had to go to Walmart to get it. I don't know if they still sell them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just go to the dedicated flashlight forums, like Candlepowerforums or Budgetlightforum, and ask the enthusiasts to recommend lights for your specific requirements. They’re certainly out there - I personally own lights that can be configured to most, if not all, of the specific requests above.

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
Fenix PD22, on/off tailcap. Separate side button for modes. One CR123 battery.

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
First of all, I totally love LED flashlights. They offer a lot of power in a small package and with good battery life. I probably have about 15 or more I've bought over the years.

Now the down side. Why can't I get a decent one with a plain ON/OFF function? I hate that on every one I buy these days, when you hit the OFF button, it first dims, then flashes, then turns green, then red, then blue, then whistles Dixie. Who would ever need all that crap? I'm tired of wondering what "mode" my flashlight will be in when I turn it on. I'm also tired of having to cycle through eight functions to turn it off.

It's ridiculous. I want the following:

I press the button once, it turns on at full power.
I press it again, it turns off.

End of discussion.

I know. First world problems.

Anyone else a bit aggravated by this?
YES! I am the same. I have many flashlights but my favorite and most often carried is a model I bought at Gander Mountain in Jackson TN years ago. It runs on a single AA battery, has one mode (on or off) and is compact. It throws out between 80 and 120 lumens depending on how fresh the battery is. Tail cap switch/button. Model was the GSX and I have not found it for some time on their site. I've used it for years and it has yet to let me down. I wish I could find more of them but, sadly I do not believe they are made any more.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
First of all, I totally love LED flashlights. They offer a lot of power in a small package and with good battery life. I probably have about 15 or more I've bought over the years.

Now the down side. Why can't I get a decent one with a plain ON/OFF function? I hate that on every one I buy these days, when you hit the OFF button, it first dims, then flashes, then turns green, then red, then blue, then whistles Dixie. Who would ever need all that crap? I'm tired of wondering what "mode" my flashlight will be in when I turn it on. I'm also tired of having to cycle through eight functions to turn it off.

End of discussion.

Ha! Yeah, annoying and a first world problem.

I have a very basic light I picked up a Wally World. 200 lumen, push button turn on, push button again turn off. Fixed (unadjustible) beam. Exactly what I need for my work bag.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

End of discussion.

You need to buy better flashlights. Even the cheaper good ones do not operate like that. The on/off switch usually on the tail returns it the the last brightness mode. The side switch selects the mode. The bottom line is none of the decent ones operate the way you describe.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I hate CHEAP LED lights also. Most of mine don’t do this. Surefire doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

End of discussion.

I'm not aggraveted by nothing anymore. I've been trying to quit cussin and I've noticed I only cuss when I'm aggravated. Seems to work, haven't been banned yet.

Reactions: shipwreck

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

$10 bucks at the grocery store, 40 lumens on two AAA batteries with a simple on off tail switch. Have had it so long I don't remember when I bought it. 40 lumens in a semi dark room will temporarily blind you heck 40 lumens will make you see spots during the day.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts

I have one I got off Amazon that does just that. The power is controlled by a second button. It is a ThruNite, 500Lumen, AA-battery powered.

I can stand at one end of a dark auditorium and light-up the stage a couple hundred feet away, and it clips out-of-the-way to my shirt. And since it is an LED, the battery lasts a long time. Easy-peasy.

·
Registered
22 Posts

End of discussion.

I have a Toto Lohan that just turns on and off. Can't recall lumens but its over 100. Maybe 300. Its about 5" long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My favorite light is the Coast HX5. It can use a standard AA battery, but I use an optional Li-Ion battery. The Li-Ion battery is 4.2 volts when charged, and 3.7 when discharged, and is night and day difference compared to an AA battery. The end slides for narrow or wide beam.

The well used light in the pic was my work light for a previous position at my company. The single click on-off power button was used literally over 200 times a day for 1.5 years and still works great!

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

I use ThruNite and Fenix lights. I push a button and they turn-on. I push the button again, and they turn-off. Easy-peasy.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

I use ThruNite and Fenix lights. I push a button and they turn-on. I push the button again, and they turn-off. Easy-peasy.
A large part of finding what one wants is knowing what to look for. Single-function, tailswitch-activated are the key search words here.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
My Daughter bought me a new pocket light to replace my old one "because it looks gross."

I probably wouldn't have bought this one mainly because it has a side switch rather than tail cap.
Over all, the NEBO Redline Flex seems to be pretty well made. Focusable with high 250/low 80/off switch. Comes with a rechargeable 3.7v Lithium battery and a Micro-USB cable or can also use an AA battery.
Have only been using it since Christmas, so no idea how it will be long term.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
I completely agree with the author of this thread. You really just read my mind
Welcome to the forum.
This is the best single-function, tailswitch-activated flashlight I have ever owned:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts