Defensive Carry banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I have a cheap Bushnell that uses a single AA battery which lasts a long time and gives out good light, don't know the lumen level. It has a tail switch and that's all it does - on and off. This thing is several years old, has been through both the washer and dryer more than once and just works. The only down side is I had to go to Walmart to get it. I don't know if they still sell them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just go to the dedicated flashlight forums, like Candlepowerforums or Budgetlightforum, and ask the enthusiasts to recommend lights for your specific requirements. They’re certainly out there - I personally own lights that can be configured to most, if not all, of the specific requests above.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Fenix PD22, on/off tailcap. Separate side button for modes. One CR123 battery.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
First of all, I totally love LED flashlights. They offer a lot of power in a small package and with good battery life. I probably have about 15 or more I've bought over the years.

Now the down side. Why can't I get a decent one with a plain ON/OFF function? I hate that on every one I buy these days, when you hit the OFF button, it first dims, then flashes, then turns green, then red, then blue, then whistles Dixie. Who would ever need all that crap? I'm tired of wondering what "mode" my flashlight will be in when I turn it on. I'm also tired of having to cycle through eight functions to turn it off.

It's ridiculous. I want the following:

I press the button once, it turns on at full power.
I press it again, it turns off.

End of discussion.

I know. First world problems.

Anyone else a bit aggravated by this?
YES! I am the same. I have many flashlights but my favorite and most often carried is a model I bought at Gander Mountain in Jackson TN years ago. It runs on a single AA battery, has one mode (on or off) and is compact. It throws out between 80 and 120 lumens depending on how fresh the battery is. Tail cap switch/button. Model was the GSX and I have not found it for some time on their site. I've used it for years and it has yet to let me down. I wish I could find more of them but, sadly I do not believe they are made any more.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts