Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just bought a 1911 and an AR15. While we were talking he was bragging on them, so I suggested we go to the gun range and he let me shoot them….oh, and he should supply all the ammo. He agreed. How do you turn that down? :banana:

I am a member of the gun club and he is not. So he was there as my guest. We found an open bay, set up and we started shooting. That 1911 was incredibly accurate. Nice trigger, low recoil and if I weren’t such a Glock evangelist, I would have almost thought about considering maybe possibly going to the dark side. We also shot his AR which was a Core15. It was a gas piston AR and it shot really really nice.

Toward the end of our session a range officer approached me as I was shooting the AR. Rarely does a range office approach me just to chat. Usually I am doing something wrong. Well, he informed me that in the area I was in, ARs are not allowed. I replied that I see the police shooting ARs there all the time and concluded that I was allowed to, also. He said that only the police were allowed to shoot ARs in this area. Then my guest started mouthing off at the range officer about this is a free country, we have a second amendment right to shoot whatever we want, and that the police are not above the law. I quickly put an end to that and apologized to the range office. I clarified the rules and stated that I would follow them in the future.

After the range officer left I had a discussion with my guest about being respectful, following the club rules, that the range officer was just there for our safety, etc, etc, etc. After he cooled down later that day, he apologized, but gosh, that was an awkward situation. One that will not be repeated again. I don’t care how much ammo he brings.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
It wasn't cool for him to put you in a bad spot with your club. I hope it doesn't cause you any detrimental consequences with them. I might would think twice about bringing him back...at least for a long, long time.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I bet that was embarrassing.. :embarassed:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Your friend is obviously not aware of how range's and gun club's operate and that they have rules they expect to be followed. Your mistake was an honest one. His mistake was not knowing or understanding his place as a guest.

During some training one time the instructor asked me a question while I was checking around a wall where he pretended to be the bad guy. The question didn't make sense to me the way he asked it so I simply said I didn't understand the question. So he said exactly the same thing only louder. Now I'm really confused. Why isn't he rephrasing the question so I might understand it instead acting like I didn't hear him. This happened several times until he finally explained what he was asking. Maybe I was just being dense at the time. He got visibly mad that I did not understand a question.

My point is stuff happens. Talk with your friend to see if he learned anything about what happened at the range. Chances are he did and won't repeat the mistake. Your gun club might even get a new member.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Respect for each other is why we get along. Just sayin.....

If I never have to go and, um, unrespect someone, again in my life............................. I'm good.

Don't take stupid people to your back yard. It starts to stink after awhile................ Just sayin..................................

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
While it sounds like you handled it well when it happened, it seems you could have briefed your guest on the range rules, conventions, and etiquette before getting there. Range officers can be mistaken but they are indisputably in charge. I can only surmise that your friend had never been on a real range before.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Then my guest started mouthing off at the range officer about this is a free country, we have a second amendment right to shoot whatever we want, and that the police are not above the law. I quickly put an end to that and apologized to the range office. I clarified the rules and stated that I would follow them in the future.
Sounds like you handled it just fine.

Sounds like your guest needs to understanding that peeing on the ground ends when it's someone else's living room.

Though, to his credit, I too don't see the problem if indeed it's not unsafe for 5.56x45's to be shot on that particular range. About the only real reason to disallow a given caliber is if the round's too much for that lane/range's capabilities. Ah, well. "House" rules.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
well, it looks like your friend won't be a member of your gun club any time soon. Not sure where he gets that its his 2nd Amendment right to shoot on other
peoples property any way he chooses, but he does not sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer anyway.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
A friend took me to his range (Membership only). He has a .22 adaptor for his AR. This made it fun to shoot on the Pistol range and didn't PO anyone off. I would think you should bring it up to your clubs rules board. It never fails to amaze that rules put in place for SAFETY get bent because SOME GROUPS think they are SPECIAL ?

Reactions: pignut

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Your friend sounds like a foolhardy blowhard with a temper. You would probably be better served in re-evaluating your friendship lest he cause you more trouble down the line,

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
ROs get respect, but...were I a member of the club, I would request an explanation as to the police use Vs. non-police use of the same lane. If there are in fact two sets of rules, there should be an rational reason. If safety concerns are valid for one shooter, the same concern should be in effect for the other. I've never been on a range, civilian, LE or military that had two classes of rules. I'd want to know; "what gives...?"

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Interesting rule. Is it just AR's or all center fire rifles? Just wondering if you can shoot a Remington 742 in .30-06 there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts