Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have drooled over this pistol every time I see it and hold it. Each time I have passed it by...and I just did miss one a few weeks ago at one of my LGS. Walked into one Saturday afternoon...saw it...held it...took a deep breath...bought it.

Here she is...Canik TP9 Elite Combat. It has the Vortex Venom dot on it. I just got back from putting about 250 rounds through it and getting the dot zeroed in.

It is everything I had hoped she would be. I love it. I have some dot questions still, but I will save that for another thread.

I will say this about the dot...I get it. I already had an AIWB holster for my Caniks....that plus the dot for a guy new to both, and it is still faster than behind the hip. The 500 + presentations I have done in the past 24hrs probably helped too LOL...

Ain't she pretty?!

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
My Holy Grail gun is one built by Jason Burton.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We each have that "Grail" and I'm glad you found yours. I've owned the SF, SF Elite and SFX. All fine guns and the Elite Combat is one fine specimen. Congrats and I'm happy that you like it... One could do far worse for sure....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good practical gun. Likely works well.

But grail gun? To drool over??? Can't really say I get that out of this gun. But whatever works for you.
Kind of rude don't you think... I'm sure many can judge some of your selections as well... The OP is pretty proud of his new gun and as gun owners we should all encourage that.. Not insult ones choice..... I come across a lot of gun owners almost daily and some can't afford more than a Taurus G2, some can.. But most are dammed proud of their gun....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good practical gun. Likely works well.

But grail gun? To drool over??? Can't really say I get that out of this gun. But whatever works for you.
Some would say my standards are pretty low in the gun department LOL...but it's all good to me.

My favorite local shop got a custom CZ Shadow 2 in a few weeks ago that many would drool over. It was absolutely beautiful in every way...but this gun makes my heart skip a beat for some weird reason.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Glad you got it, AND, it's "ALL you expected, & more"! Enjoy! ;)

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Glad to hear you are putting in the work to learn to run the dot.
Don’t get sloppy, perfect that draw and presentation. Teach your eyes to focus on the target, not the dot.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to hear you are putting in the work to learn to run the dot.
Don’t get sloppy, perfect that draw and presentation. Teach your eyes to focus on the target, not the dot.
I'm trying. I don't like being told I can't do something. A lot of internet commandos say you have to be a "pro" to use a dot effectively. Being a good southener...l'm like, hold my Coca-Cola and watch this LOL.

Now - do I get my Glocks milled? LOL

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I'm trying. I don't like being told I can't do something. A lot of internet commandos say you have to be a "pro" to use a dot effectively. Being a good southener...l'm like, hold my Coca-Cola and watch this LOL.

Now - do I get my Glocks milled? LOL
We will find out next weekend how my self taught dot skills stack up. I’m out with the JDC guys who are teaching a new RDS duty gun class.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I can't say much. My grail guns, if I were to call them that, are a pair of 5" N frame 8 shot .357 magnum revolvers. No one will ever call them beautiful.

Sure, they were a bit pricey, but not bank breaking costly like some guns can be.

Just enjoy your gun. What more does one need from their tool of choice?

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts

This is essentially my Grail gun. This is the standard model Carry Comp that I purchased from Wilson Combat last August.

It retails for $3,200 but I added another $1,400 in personally directed “tweaks” except that I got the same colors shown for frame and slide shown. I mandated a five pound trigger pull and that’s exactly what was delivered. I got an aluminum frame, so they don’t recommend a steady diet of +P ammo. I also got Crimson Trace Laser Grips which came perfectly zeroed at 50 feet. I got other stuff on mine, too.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts