Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more powerful long guns for home defense like a Ruger Mini 14, Savage 30.06 and a couple shotguns, but my favorite and the one that stays loaded [mag in, unchambered] is a Marlin Camp 9 9mm carbine.. I did not want a powerful hunting rifle that will go through all the walls and into a neighbors home, and settled on a nice 9mm Carbine so I could use my cheap handgun rounds,, sadly the state of NY will not allow it.. most modern 9mm rifles are "tactical" looking these days with pistol grips.

NY has nade the determination that these are ""assault weapons" and I cannot own one.The ONLY traditional platform modern 9 mm semi auto still being made is built by Chiappa, and the reports and reviews are beyond horrible.. they are an unworkable disaster from what I have read.. poorly built,and prone to breakage after a short time, and when they ARE working, they jam constantly.. I looked long and hard for a marlin camp 9, or Ruger PC9 but they are tough to find anywhere, and when you do find one, many have been converted to "tactical", and the stock, clean original ones are a FORTUNE!
Close to $1000, sometimes more for a real clean one... After months of searching, I found one at a deal in Mass, and had it sent to a local FFL.. it was pricey at $725, but it was either that or go without.. All I wanted was a cheap $299 High point 9mm Carbine, but Gov Cuomo says its an assualt weapon.
Anyway, for those not familiar, its a great semi, thats accurate and a soft shooter thats very reliable.. I REALLY like this little carbine.. Wish I found one 15 years ago when they were being sold for $150...
This pic is not my gun, but its identical, and it is in this condition,, Very cool looking and very "traditional".. If you ever see one at a good price, grab it,, they are hard to find, and in very high demand. bob
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea..._camp_9_carbine_9_mm_sem_640.jpg&action=click

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
The Marlin Mod 9's are nifty fun to shoot guns, although they are somewhat fragile for "tactical" use. A good solution for a carbine in restrictive states would be a lever action .357 carbine. Not "tactical" but very effective in that role IMO.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes a .357 lever would be a nice gun, but I wanted the same cheap ammo as my EDC pistols.. I bet if Henry came out with a 9mm lever gun at a reasonable price, they would sell piles of them... To me 9 mm in a rifle is a nice compromise for a cheap to shoot, but still effective round.. I do realize most people want a rifle round that will take down a Grizzly bear, but thats not what i was after.. I have a Ruger 10-22 that I love, I just wanted something between that and the more powerful guns... 9mm in a rifle has a lot of punch for HD, but its cheap to feed... bob

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I had a Camp 9 for awhile, but for the reasons noted, I sold it and put the funds towards a nice PC9- an outstanding firearm for home defense.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Yes a .357 lever would be a nice gun, but I wanted the same cheap ammo as my EDC pistols.. I bet if Henry came out with a 9mm lever gun at a reasonable price, they would sell piles of them... To me 9 mm in a rifle is a nice compromise for a cheap to shoot, but still effective round.. I do realize most people want a rifle round that will take down a Grizzly bear, but thats not what i was after.. I have a Ruger 10-22 that I love, I just wanted something between that and the more powerful guns... 9mm in a rifle has a lot of punch for HD, but its cheap to feed... bob
This is why I love my Stag Arms 9 mm AR that takes the Colt stick mags! Both 9mm and .357 are different animals when they are shot out or a carbine length barrel!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Camp 9 for awhile, but for the reasons noted, I sold it and put the funds towards a nice PC9- an outstanding firearm for home defense.
i like the look and feel of the camp 9, and i have upgraded the recoil spring and buffer which was a weak point. the pc9 is a heavier duty gun as it was built for police dept use and is considered more reliable than the marlin,, the pc 9 is really hard to find these days, and i grabbed the first ny legal 9mm i came upon which was the camp9....... bob

·
Banned
172 Posts
I'd go back to the Mini-14. With the proper ammo (check out the Hornady TAP stuff) you don't have to worry about penetrating walls. Easy to mount a red dot sight on it, and easy to shoot well. You already have it and NY doesn't think it's an AW.

I'm not a fan of using a handgun round in a rifle size package, unless it's select fire. You have only slightly more power (due to the longer barrel - hence more velocity) than with a handgun. You lose the mobility and the ability to navigate easily. (Although in most situations, I suggest hunkering down in a safe location and waiting for the cavalry to arrive). You do get more accuracy, but in a home defense situation, you should be able to deliver sufficient accuracy with a handgun at across-the-room distances.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Of my lever guns I have two designated for home defense, a .357 and .45 Colt both stoked and ready. I believe any more gun would be overkill.

Many such guns like you mentioned are also illegal here in Ct.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Of my lever guns I have two designated for home defense, a .357 and .45 Colt both stoked and ready. I believe any more gun would be overkill.

Many such guns like you mentioned are also illegal here in Ct.
I would surely not want to be on the wrong side of a 45 Colt lever rifle. That cartridge pumped up in a Ruger SA revolver is impressive. I imagine its even more so from the rifle barrel.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I had a Camp 9 and really did enjoy it. I ended up selling it for the Gen II Keltec Sub 2000 9mm. The Gen II is a very nice, 100% reliable firearm so far.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a Camp 9 and really did enjoy it. I ended up selling it for the Gen II Keltec Sub 2000 9mm. The Gen II is a very nice, 100% reliable firearm so far.
Thats exactly the type of gun I wanted for HD.. Half the price of the Camp 9, and readily available.. Gov Cuomo says I am not allowed to own one,,,its bad for me..... A semi auto rifle has to look like a damn M1 to be legal in this state, and even then you have to jump through hoops.. It took me 2 years before I could even buy the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. They outlawed them for a few years as an ""assault weapon"". Unavailable in NY state. Something changed in the law, or ruger changed something in the gun and I was finally "allowed" to buy one.. disgusting....bob

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have a pinned 14.5 inch AR for home defense. It's loaded with 55 grain Winchester varmint 223 rounds. The don't penetrate anymore than a 9mm. Less actually but they sure do leave a nasty wound cavity (9 inches or so deep). I have shot hogs with this load and the blow up and leave massive internal damage.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
OP - Congrats on the carbine.

For those in states with similar restrictions, there is a company out of NY that makes the Just Right Carbines. They are AR-ish carbines that take Glock mags, and can be converted from 9mm to .40 and .45. A bit pricey, but seem like nice guns. And they do make a version with the crazy bent stock that is NY legal.

I've been really tempted to buy a .357 lever gun to go with my .30-30, and/or a PCC myself. However, for fun shooting at paper, it is still cheaper to use one of my .22 rifles. And if I'm grabbing a long gun for home defense (as in, someone is already inside my house where my family is) I'm sure as hell grabbing...a 12 gauge.

To me, moving inside a home = handgun (leaves a hand free for the kids, lights, doors, and phone).

Static defense inside a home = shotgun. If you are recoil sensitive, a 20 gauge is fine.

For defending your property outside (civil disturbance), then maybe either a shotgun or a rifle, depending on terrain (how far can you see?).

The issue of over penetration has been discussed a lot, and that the 5.56 will tumble and fragment and penetrate less than other options has been taken as gospel now. Unfortunately, it is wrong. The 5.56 MIGHT tumble and fragment. Or it might NOT. If it doesn't, that bullet is going a loooong way. Same with a handgun bullet.

With a shotgun, you can use #1 or #4 buckshot to lessen over penetration risk. In a thin walled apartment with very close engagement ranges, you could even consider BB or "turkey" loads. The great thing is that buckshot cannot fail to be buckshot.

Here is a good video from Paul Harrell on the shotgun for home defense:

OP - Not trying to rain on your parade. Just thinking that a pump shotgun is probably the best NY-legal option for stopping someone RIGHT NOW inside your home. And cheap birdshot shells for practice cost about the same as 9mm, too.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I thank God I live in a free state and can use what I please which prompted me to build my AR 15 9mm suppressed SBR for home defense ........... however I'd take the mini 14 loaded with 55gr Gold Dots over a Marlin Camp 9 any day of the week. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thats exactly the type of gun I wanted for HD.. Half the price of the Camp 9, and readily available.. Gov Cuomo says I am not allowed to own one,,,its bad for me.....
So sorry that your freedom is being infringed in this way Bob. It disgusts me when I see this.

I grew up in CA, and this type of thing is just one among many reasons why I fled the state 25 years ago. I've lived in AZ, CO, and WA since then. Settled in WA due to career needs, but AZ was a much better state for gun ownership. WA is fine for carry laws and such, but has been gradually getting worse lately. My plan for retirement (still down the road a ways) is to move to ID (unless the Boise crowd has screwed it up for everyone by that time there too).

As a former CA resident, I can feel your pain somewhat. It's not quite as bad in some of the more rural counties in CA, but that's not where I was from.

Hope the Camp 9 works out great if you ever need it.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
In case you dont know the gun RIGHT NOW fixed the buffer block ..Pull it and put a new one ..Trust me DO NOT FIRE IT till you do ...That is the big issue with the camps 9s the buffer will fail fast and the gun will break in a bad way ... I like the look of the Camp 9 but the issue I have is it was never made for a police gun or miltary gun like the PC9 or pc40 ...They were sportstman guns ..They have a lot of parts and are def made for the sport marketing so no fast and easy take down no hard wearing parts etc

That said good guns ..Only issue is I would have held out for the 1911 model ...10 round 59 mags can be tricky and pricy to find at times over say a basic 8 or 10 round mag

At one point people were doing Glock 9mm conversion and Para double stack 1911 conversion ..But no longer I have seen the para conversion now and then but rare

Cool guns def and I am a big fan of PCC esp the PC9/PC40 and the marlin ..Just def look up how to clean the gun and how to take care of it esp on parts that need to be changed for better ...Most used Marlin camps the buffers is on its way out and if it goes it goes and there goes the back end of the gun with it

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
9,893 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Sweet !!! Glad I moved out of NY when I did... I just bought a 9mm carbine for home Defense... would still like a camp b gun or pc9 one day

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Vote with your feet, escape NY. Btw a pump 12 ga w/ 20 inch bbl and rifled sights loaded w/slugs will shoot like a rifle with great stopping power. Reliably, I have read many an instance of Marlin camp 9 malfunctions...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vote with your feet, escape NY. Btw a pump 12 ga w/ 20 inch bbl and rifled sights loaded w/slugs will shoot like a rifle with great stopping power. Reliably, I have read many an instance of Marlin camp 9 malfunctions...
All you need to do is put an updated recoil buffer and recoil spring in it, keep it clean and they then become very reliable little rifles.. They had poorly designed plastic buffers that broke into tiny pieces, and the spring was WAY too weak.. Updated/upgraded replacements are available everywhere, and are cheap and its easy to do.

The problem was the weak spring would allow the bolt to come back too far and shatter the already crappy buffer, and would also crack the stock, and breal some smaller parts as well.. it was all a matter of replacing $20 worth of poorly thought out parts.. All this has been known for many years, and the fix was already known 20 years ago.
When I got mine, I ordered the buffer and spring from Midway, put it in and its a very smooth shooting accurate, and cool looking little carbine.
If they were all that bad of a gun, they would not be in demand the way they are. I like mine a lot... bob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts