Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday night I put my children to bed and then I went to bed, my fiancé was on the night shift at work. When I woke up at five my home was robbed I feel so stupid how can someone sleep through that, they came into my bedroom and took some money off my dresser I feel so stupid

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Lone Star State. Sorry to hear that you got hit, it would appear that it is time to reevaluate your security proceedures.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Sorry your home was invaded......can't fathom the idea of some criminal in my bedroom while I lay there sleeping.....OMG.....it's why we have Otto.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wednesday night I put my children to bed and then I went to bed, my fiancé was on the night shift at work. When I woke up at five my home was robbed I feel so stupid how can someone sleep through that, they came into my bedroom and took some money off my dresser I feel so stupid
What? Do you lock your doors? How did they get in? I have all my doors locked, an alarm with motion, a door bell camera and a camera in the main area of my house. You have to pass through there to get to the rest of the house. I also have a gun in my nightstand and two more stashed in other areas of my home. And I live in a very nice area, still doesn't matter though. :hand10:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that you had some money for them to find and leave the scene. Had there been no money they might have done more.

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yours is a tough way to make your way here. It might be helpful if you give a few more details of your burglary so that more accurate advice might be rendered. Were your doors and windows locked? Was entry forced? Things like that...

Reactions: Doogie

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Are you sure your fiance didn't grab your cash? .....just sayin...:blink:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Welcome from Utah. If you sleep that soundly, you either need a dog or an alarm system.
I've got both. We still had a guy try to break in at 2 a.m. He managed to get the screens off the back window before the he met my 100 pound Ridgeback. I just bought security cameras and I'm installing them this weekend.

Sorry you got broken into. Some guy kicked in my front door once and he and his buddy went in, grabbed my stereo equipment and dashed out. Witnesses said it took less than a minute from the time they pulled up until they pulled away. It made me rethink my security precautions. An old friend of mine was burglar before he joined the military. He said that there are very few things that would deter him if he was determined to get in. A good quality door lock with 3.5 inch screws holding the hinges and latches can slow down an entry through the front door, but then they just go to a window. A 50 dollar lock on a window is useless if they can break the glass and disable it. Security systems are hit and miss. You have to remember to use them and they have to cover all the entry points. If the police get a lot of false alarms, they quit responding. My suggestions:

Change your locks. It's possible the bad guy has a key.
Get a dog. Even a little yappy dog will wake you up if there's a stranger in the house.
You can buy an alarm system through amazon or lowes. They don't have to be fancy.
If you don't have a safe, consider getting one. I worry about someone stealing my guns and using them in a crime.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I am sorry to hear that happened to you. Yes, you do need a dog, and a security system, too. We have a black lab, and she would not be ferocious, but at least she would alert us to someone trying to get in the house even if they had not breached the security system. She sleeps in our bedroom primarily for the alarm value.

My wife is the dog lover... Not me. But I do have to accept the fact that they are a great part of a security system, for the alarm value, if nothing else.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I see you are from Jamaica. Welcome. I have been there many times. If you have no warning system at least put things in the open window to block it from opening too far. Or place objects near or in the openings that will easily fall and make noise to wake you. Same with the door. Block it to make it noisy and hard to open. When I travel I do this.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I am sorry to hear that happened to you. Yes, you do need a dog, and a security system, too. We have a black lab, and she would not be ferocious, but at least she would alert us to someone trying to get in the house even if they had not breached the security system. She sleeps in our bedroom primarily for the alarm value.

My wife is the dog lover... Not me. But I do have to accept the fact that they are a great part of a security system, for the alarm value, if nothing else.

Please turn in your "man" card.

No self respecting gun owning male can dislike dogs!!!!

:p

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. As other have said, a dog is a great alarm system. Do you know how they got in?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Very scary. But it could be much worse - at least they didn't hurt you or your children. You can always get more stuff.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry to hear someone broke into your place... I am a very light sleeper so I dont think anyone could make it into my room and out without me knowing..

As far as the locks.... I could pick just about any lock that people put on their house so im sure others can as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts