Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Christmas present. Yea, I know... It's only October, but it was just too good to pass up.

This is the Rossi Model 92 Puma (Scout). This rifle is chambered in .44 Magnum and is the scourge of every deer in Northern Indiana.

I always try to buy new products from American manufacturers (just to do my part), but all bets are off when it comes to used. This fine little shooter came from a local guy who had not even fired it yet, but needed money for the upcoming holidays. That makes for a great Christmas all around. :)

I am already starting to hear Christmas songs in my head.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Very nice! Been eyeing it's .357 cousin and I don't even have my snubby out of layaway yet.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Very nice, I love lever actions, also.:hand10::bier:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Very nice, I love lever actions, also.:hand10::bier:
I'm jealous... I love lever actions, too... or is that three? :yup: :bier:

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
+1 from another lever gun nut.......I have a 'scout' setup on a Marlin Guide Gun....it's the way to go for a brush gun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 fro the lever guns. I have a marlin 44 mag. It is my new go to brush gun. I used it in florida for hogs in febuary and worked great with some handloads I made. My father was using the Ruger semi-auuto 44. We shot 8 hogs and only 2 ran about 20 yards the rest dropped where they stood. Ranges from 20 to 102 yards and weights from 130 to 300+ pounds. These are great little guns.

I am looking at the marlin 357 as a possible HD gun now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I picked this up last year in .44 mag and got me a 8 pointer and it is ready for this season!

I added the large hand loop this year.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
We still need a drooling smilie here.:yup:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can only say that I am exceedingly happy with the accuracy of my Rossi Model 92 Puma.

This is my best 10-shot group from 50-yards. I went for the heart in honor of the Clint Eastwood movie, "A Fistful of Dollars". This is the movie where the main bad guy (Ramon) shoots Clint in the heart several times with his Winchester Model 1892 only to find that Clint was wearing a metal plate under his poncho.

OK, OK... So my target wasn't moving and I was using a scope, but I was using a Model 1892. Jeesh!

YouTube - Fistfull of dollars - Final Fight

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Congrats! Like the scope.

I have the Puma Saddle ring carbine in 45lc. Haven't used it for deer but it works wonders on coyote! Mine will hold a one-hole group (from a rest) out to 75yds with the open sights. I don't see well enough anymore to shoot much farther without a scope.

Enjoy

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Just ran across an article yesterday ranting about how good the Puma was for home defense.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ran across an article yesterday ranting about how good the Puma was for home defense.
Yikes! I've always considered the .44 Magnum almost overkill in a handgun for home defense... Can you just imagine what the extra 300fps to 500fps would do out of a 20" carbine barrel?

I suppose that it would be perfect for those multi-intruder situations for lining up the perfect 2-kills with 1-shot. :image035:

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
A good solid lever gun in a pistol caliber, along with a pistol in that caliber, are a great combo. I have a Marlin in .357, as well as a SAA clone in .357. They just seem to go naturally together.

Nice looking rifle, happy hunting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just picked up the .44 in Marlins 1894..... It was a toss up between that or a sweet used BLR in .358. Shoots tight at 75 yds with open sights but looking to add ghost ring to it for quick acquisition. Suggestion for HD: To avoid over penetration use .44 specials in 180gr or load down your mag stuff. Very versatile gun config and caliber, you can go for 310gr or plink with .44 spec! That Puma is pretty, good luck and have fun sir..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts