Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this new thread since I ran into a problem today with my new S&W 642.
I went to the store today and got some .38 snap caps and some HKS speedloaders. I've never used speedloaders and this is my first real wheel gun.
Now for the issue.....the speed loaders rub against the rubber grip preventing a smooth reload and the fresh rounds going in straight. I don't know if this is normal to have to deal with on a reload of a 642 with rubber grips. It doesn't seem to provide for a very efficient reload.
I've attached some pics I just took and you can see the area on the rubber grip where the loader is marking.
any ideas? or is this just the way it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have the same problem. Mine will actually jam against the grips and is hard to get out. Looked into putting a set of Crimson Trace on which believe would have fixed the problem but didn't want to spend the money. Plus they are a little larger than stock. Have found that if you let the cylinder spin a little as you unlock the loader will let the rounds drop without jamming against the grip. Picked up several strip loaders and haven't worried about it since. They're not as fast but you'll get quick with practise. Plus they're more concealable than the HSK.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I'll just practice more, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The Hogue Monogrip will alleviate the problem... it's cut out a little bigger than the newer stock grips... The older style (OEM) Uncle Mike's boot grips don't interfere either...

P.S. In Pic #1, the rounds in the speed loader are more than far enough in the cylinder, for the reload...

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Quick Strips (forum sponsor) sells 5 round speed strips for the 642...

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P.S. In Pic #1, the rounds in the speed loader are more than far enough in the cylinder, for the reload...
yeah I know, I was just showing how the rounds/loader were crooked due to getting stuck on the grip :bier:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update.......

speedloader works much better with live rounds rather than snap caps, I'm going to assume its the weight of the rounds vs the snap caps
its much easier to reload with the live rounds

I hope my educational experience helps someone else on here.
I would go to the range tomorrow and post a report....but our high is supposed to be 25....so I'm thinking.....no

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
In addition to weight, the real rounds are smoother than the snap caps so they slide in easier.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I won't comment on the stock issue.

BTW: they are called stocks, not "grips", to a purist that loves revolvers. As far as reloading, you will probably learn something here. I know I did. I use the "Stressfire Reload" and shoot as a lefty. I've found it faster than right handed.

The videos are definately worth watching IMHO.

037 The Revolver Round-Table

Biker

·
Registered
829 Posts
You may want to try safariland reloaders also, the rounds are automatically released when the center of the reload contacts the cylinder, no twisting the knob... based on what I have read for using speed strips, I would get strips that hold 6 and load your five, gives you more room to hold on to...

it is a grip / stock thing, some smaller revos just don't swing out far enough, I just learned all of this with my first revolver too, so you are not alone... watch the vids on how to reload fast they will help, I found a place with reloading strips, called tuff products dot com, they have lots of strip options...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have CT defender on my 340 since its plastic its pretty smooth. Hogue bantam grips will also work well.

The snap caps pictured are the solid aluminum ones right? Those are heavier then live rounds.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If you don't want to go to Tuff Strips, it's a simple matter to remove some material from the stocks. I've had to do that to a few OEM stocks over the years.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I won't comment on the stock issue.

BTW: they are called stocks, not "grips", to a purist that loves revolvers. As far as reloading, you will probably learn something here. I know I did. I use the "Stressfire Reload" and shoot as a lefty. I've found it faster than right handed.

The videos are definately worth watching IMHO.

Biker
videos were good, made me fine tune a couple of things :smile:

as for the stock vs grip.......I was taught grip by my dad, and the owner's manual for my 642 states on p 13 that its called grip :bier:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The snap caps pictured are the solid aluminum ones right? Those are heavier then live rounds.
they are aluminum but definitely lighter than my 125gr HPs

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Have someone load some rounds for you with no powder or primer then color them red with a marker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts