Defensive Carry banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just bought a Glock 26 Gen 4 today. My first carry pistol, after I got my license, was a Springfield Armory XDS 9mm single stack. Back then I
thought, the chances of me actually needing to fire more than a round or two are slim. I liked the XDS well enough, but ended selling it. I replaced it with a Glock 42 .380 single stack. I really liked carrying the smaller pistol, and my old thinking was, I can never see myself needing more than a round or two.

After the last few weeks, I have hung up the Glock 42 for the Glock 26 with a 15 round 9mm magazine (and grip extension). Yes, I see myself needing the capability of 15 rounds. I am sort of sad this world has come to it that I need that capability, but I am a realist.
My summer carry was a LCP2 but I unwittingly spent the last of my SD ammo at the range testing new ammo and now I can't find any. I am carrying my single stack 9MM as a summer carry now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I carry my S&W 669. I have a total of 62 rounds on me. I carry an additional 154 in my vehicle. If that is not enough, I hope I'm still sucking air so I can get what I need from those laying on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
23,576 Posts
Yeah, but you and I live in a part of the country that has remained sane and stable. :danceban: If I lived back East, I'd think about an SBR.
Yep, that drove me to a 5.56 pistol with a brace, a 12.5” barrel, and standard sized mags. I can carry a loaded pistol in my car or truck too, unlike a rifle (due to hunting regulations).

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I don't want to spend the $$, but I'm thinking about an AR pistol

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Reports show many fire until the gun stops, either empties a mag or jams. Even LEO's have had a tendency to do this.

Not something to strive for surely. The Israeli's method is to deliberately shoot until the threat is not moving, especially with suicide bombers.

Jeff Cooper tried to instill that 2 shots were needed, fast then assess the situation or move to the next target. This was due to studies that showed many people's nervous system/pain receptors tended to shut down, or go numb, after 2 shots. So he theorized that 2 shots to the body would, closer to the thorax region the better, inflict maximum shock, and hence stop the threat, before the system shut down. That was the beginning of the Double Tap, at close distance 2 shots with 1 sight picture. It takes training though to keep those shots in the thoracic region past a few feet. But that explanation isn't quite accurate either. Especially with training the Double Tap is refined to take 2 shots with the 1st aimed sight picture, and the 2nd a verified flash sight picture. Meaning one doesn't take time to aim that 2nd shot, but still verifies where it will go. You can still see the front sight and thereby know where the bullet went.
The Israeli's found that suicide bombers were less likely to trigger their vests while their body was reacting to impact. Both may be valid at the same time.
For Self Defense though deliberately continuing to shoot after the threat is down/removed is not a good idea, legally.

So a SS with extra mags does make sense. Another note it is usually easier to do reloads under speed with a double stack mag, tapered mag top to a wider mag opening.
Hey but I like to carry a Revolver?!
You want to be careful shooting bomb vests. Many are using home made explosives and that might just detonate it. Think of tannerite.

·
Registered
972 Posts
You want to be careful shooting bomb vests. Many are using home made explosives and that might just detonate it. Think of tannerite.
Unless you catch them before they get in a crowd and you are far enough away! Then watch the fireworks.
Seriously though I'm sure the Israel Defense Forces take that into account.
Hope I never see someone with a suicide vest, but in today's climate??? I'd put nothing past the crazies on the streets.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Unless you catch them before they get in a crowd and you are far enough away! Then watch the fireworks.
Hope I never see someone with a suicide vest, but in today's climate??? I'd put nothing past the crazies on the streets.
Our training was shoot for the head if you think they may have a suicide vest. Pretty common doctrine since 911.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I don't want to spend the $$, but I'm thinking about an AR pistol
I recommend that! Perhaps a build, instead of a "completed purchase". I'm retired, on a "limited income", SO a penny here, a penny there, has allowed me to have "two good pistol's"! (7.5" AND 10.5") WITH, "part's upgrades", instead of what some manufacture decide's is "WHAT I need"!

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
The trick is shooting them such that the bullet passes through the cerebral cortex. Instant stop and drop. In other words...bridge of the nose.

I suspect even the craziest of the crazies are unwilling to die for the old Nazi sympathizer George Soros. Take his money? Sure. Raise a little heck? Absolutely. Get your bod reduced to pieces that requires a push broom and large dust pan? Maybe not.

People blow themselves up for religious convictions (at least Islamic ones). They don't generally blow themselves up for money.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
BTW I probably already said this but it might be worth repeating. I built an AR pistol with an 8.5 inch barrel chambered for 300 Blackout. The ballistics are as good or better than a 16 inch 5.56 carbine, and it is oh so much smaller and handier.

And yes, today I changed my carry gun because I have to go to an anniversary event for our granddaughter and husband. There will be a lot of firefighters there and I don't want to look like Wyatt Earp, so I am taking the sneaky one...

Glock 48 all black with 2 15 round flush mags and one 10 round flush mag.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I just got a new carry gun. It's a Springfield Hellcat. I've been carrying a S&W Shield for a couple years. The Shield carries 7+1, the Hellcat carries 13+1 in almost the exact same size, plus it's lighter than the Shield. I bought 2 spare 13 round magazines so I have 40 rounds. If 40 rounds won't get me home I don't think anything would.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
If I lived in Orlando these days, I'd probably do the same. Aaaack. My childhood home was outside Leesburg, parents lived in DeLand after I left Florida, and Orlando sucked worse and worse every time I went there. Last time was 15 years ago, and I can only imagine how much worse it is now.
When I was working narcotics I worked primarily in the Deltona area. We called it Gangland! When new Deputies got hired they had to work in that District for 1 year prior to being able to transfer to another District. There were very few who made the full year before quitting. The Deltona DeLand area has turned into a very high crime rate armpit!

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
972 Posts
The trick is shooting them such that the bullet passes through the cerebral cortex. Instant stop and drop. In other words...bridge of the nose.

I suspect even the craziest of the crazies are unwilling to die for the old Nazi sympathizer George Soros. Take his money? Sure. Raise a little heck? Absolutely. Get your bod reduced to pieces that requires a push broom and large dust pan? Maybe not.

People blow themselves up for religious convictions (at least Islamic ones). They don't generally blow themselves up for money.
Hmmm I'm not convinced those acting out have much but air between their ears?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Reactions: pskys2
41 - 54 of 54 Posts