Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys! I got this gun in 2/11/06 (as in the 1st pic) I transferred it to Nh, and noticed it was WAAAAYY out of time....:mad: ....sooooooooo I sent it out the very same day under the Store's 30 day warranty i had since I bought it from the store (for the Paulty price of $202.50) after my discount of course. Tagged out at 225.00 on the shelf probably due to it being so very diirty and tarnished :yup:
BTW.......that's a de-horned Charter Pug 44 Spl, I found as well.......for 148.50 (couldn't help myself with that......i love 44s
So.........now I get the Colt Detective Spl back tonight (3/09/06 and check it out........TIGHT AND TIMED PERFECTLY.........it cost the store 37.50 for the gunsmith to do the work........cost my NADA since it was Warranty work..:danceban:
Ok.........now........I get it home.....and it seems to have a yellowish tint to it (as in pic 1)......after about a good hour of polish........I find it's a FACTORY NICKEL GUN....:banana: ......The S/N range says it was..made in 1972-73 vintage.....:danceban: ......
BTW, when I fist looked at it, I thought it was a half butt cheek re-nickel finish, BUT it's coming along..........after about 34 yrs of tarnish that lil pony's looking good....:biggrin2: .....AND the grips..........They're solid EBONY WOOD.:danceban: . I think they're Jay Scott finger groove grips........(I took the grips off, and looked at the back to find solid wood..
WHAT A FIND FOR 202.50 this lil gem has a good home, and also I'll carry it too..sooooo here's a few pics for you to see :danceban:
BTW.....EUC.......this gun came in about a week after you got your Dick Spl........

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Oh you lucky son of a.......... Oops, can't say that, but you know what I mean. The thing is beautiful!! :hand10:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
VERY COOL!!! I'm a big Colt 6-shooter snubby fan too.....I once owned a pre-72 Dick Special that I still regret having sold off.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Great find. Well done!!:congrats: :congrats:

Now if only I can find a deal like that someday.........yea sure.:frown:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Very nice.. Funny my Colt with nickel finish has a yellowish tint also but mine doesn't rub out..

Its a very lite tint supposed tot be the way they did the nickle at the time

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
wow !...what a classic find...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Nice, the perks of working in a gun shop! it is amazing that anybody would even give them up.

Luck dog!:yup:

Ti.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would have to eat Ramen noodles every night if I had your job; probably wouldn't be married, either.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, Just a quick update on the Little Colt. I came home this morning, and worked the gun a bit more...:biggrin2: .....Here's a couple of UPDATED PIX from what a little "elbow grease" does for the value and presentaion of these "Diamonds in the Rough"
NEVER pass on the opportunity to grab something like this, :yup: when you come across it, ESPECIALLY when it's a bit tarnished/dirty. My thought process is I just made my money back, and then some, should I wish to get rid of it, and upgrade to a more expensive weapon. :yup:
I'm going to take it to a local shop, and see what it's worth in money, as I've cleaned it up. :biggrin2: Becha they give me at least 300.00 in trade for it. (and they're going to mark it up to their tag.. (I'm NOT going to bite on the deal though) I'll upgrade the Post, when I return. :danceban:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
That is very sweet Bob - even better that the timing prob is dealt with (did they tell ya what they had to do? Always interested to know).

Appears to have cleaned up very nicely and I doubt you are far off with an estimate on value now. Great find that's for sure, and I say that as a near non-Colt fan too.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris
They replaced the Hand, stirrup, and cylinder stop. That brought the timing into the tight specs that the Colts are noted for...
At the point of ignition, the cylinder is tight, as it should be. Locks up at the crane with no noticalble wear......i took a good look at it this morning, and it appears ti may have never been fored.. it's CLEAN around the forcing cone and to powder burn marks anywhere...

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Airedale said:
Very nice find. Good looking carry gun.
I can't see in the pic...where's the S&W logo?:smile:
Dave
It's a COLT ...........LOL...........:biggrin2: :buttkick: :spankme:

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
OK,....Now you can be that EXTRA SPECIAL Detective that you always wanted to be. :rofl:
Damn!, those were some dusty cylinder holes on that handgun!:biggrin2:
It really must have been a Nightstand Drawer Queen for some years because the nickle is in really good shape.

Hey...guess what?
Unless my monitor colors are lying to me again...those grips are either Coco Bolo or Rosewood & not Ebony.
Even Maccasar Ebony would not have that color unless it were dyed & rarely (if ever) do they dye exotic wood unless they are doing an exotic wood laminate.
They could even be Ocelot Ear Rosewood (quite rare these days)
Very nice grips.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
srfl said:
Post a range report when you can.
Hopfully that will happen tonight..........BTW, I was offered 400.00 cash for the gun by a local dealer........and I KNOW this particular guy, either wants it for himself, OR he's got sombody lined up that collects the Detective Splecials.....he told me the gun has original finish, and the grips were worth adding about an extra 50 bucks.....
Think I'm gonna sit on it a while....:yup:

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QKShooter said:
OK,....Now you can be that EXTRA SPECIAL Detective that you always wanted to be. :rofl:
Damn!, those were some dusty cylinder holes on that handgun!
It really must have been a Nightstand Drawer Queen because the nickle is in really good shape.

Hey...guess what?
Unless my monitor colors are lying to me again...those grips are either Coco Bolo or Rosewood & not Ebony.
They could even be Ocelot Ear Rosewood (quite rare these days)
Very nice grips.
You're right QK........I'm color blind here...........you have the right info on the grips..I don't know what they really are, but they sure are pretty.....and they fit my hand real nice........
......The chambers are dusty cuz i buffed the gun..all by hand with a soft rag.............must be ..lint particles in the gun.........I'll run a mop thru it...........and then post a pic.....
The gun came from a guy in Massachusetts.....sooooooooooo seeing I have it's history.........must make it "Ma compliant" if I ever want to sell it hehehehe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts