Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I've been shooting in the weekly bullseye league, I've had my eye on the nice boxes that almost everyone has. I was thinking about picking on up, but $150 plus for a Gun-Ho or older Pachmayr is a little insane IMHO for a box to tote my $185 Browning in.

Luckily for me, my Dad has one from back in the day when he shot matches on the PD, I may try to snag that one from him later on.

In the meantime however I was looking for something that would let me consolidate the load as the spotting scope case and gun bag were getting a little cumbersome. And as luck would have it I spotted this antique gem at work yesterday and got approval to take it for personal use.

Yep, it's an OLD GE TV repair box that was used for toting tubes around, I spotted in in storage and it fits everything just about right. A little foam from one of the unused rifle cases and away we go. I'm probably going to rig up some better compartments and mount a magnet to it to act as a magazine caddy, tomorrow at work I'll probably hot glue some more foam in the scope compartment.

I'm not cheap, but I am frugal. :image035:

Now I can at least keep my bullseye stuff and IDPA stuff in separate kits and not be shuffling everything around.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Hey whatever works.

TV tubes, that was before you time wasn't it. Did one of the guys at work explain them to you. :rofl:

Looks like with a few more mods it will turn into a great solution and you probably won't have 20 buck in it when your done. With Christmas coming up Garrett will thank you later. :image035:

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey whatever works.

TV tubes, that was before you time wasn't it. Did one of the guys at work explain them to you. :rofl:

Looks like with a few more mods it will turn into a great solution and you probably won't have 20 buck in it when your done. With Christmas coming up Garrett will thank you later. :image035:
I think I saw one once ( a tube that is) in a history book. :hand5:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I love it.

Tubes got us to the moon! Don't dis um...

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
This is fantastic!

It's saves me from listening to him whine about wanting to buy one and/or having to come up with the insane amount of money to purchase one.

Very good, dear!
Lima, just wait to see what he's making you for Christmas. :santaclaus:

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I think I saw one once ( a tube that is) in a history book. :hand5:
Hey, I have got an amp that uses tubes. It blows away the solid state ones watt for watt.

Lima, just wait to see what he's making you for Christmas.
No telling what else he will come up with scrounging around the storage spaces at work. :haha:

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
Great idea should be fun at the range while some of the others try to figure out just what kind of tube fits into a TV. Back when I went through Aircraft Electrician school the Air Force still had airplanes that used vacuum tubes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love it.

Tubes got us to the moon! Don't dis um...
And kept our tires from going flat.....ummmmm...
Oh... that's ANOTHER kind of "old tube"....:hand5:
Used to love those horizontal sweep tubes in the TVs...when they started going "soft"...they'd sing away @ 15KHz....(back when us old pharts could actually HEAR at that frequency....!:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Cool box, but I like your floor better.

I use tackle and hardware boxes for my shotgunning.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My dad was an electrical engineer that earned his PhD working on tube equipment... Tubes have some intricacies that make them very interesting. Sadly, working with them is a dying art.

I still have a tube tester and a fair amount of other vintage electronics equipment. I even have an old school RMS volt meter from the 40's in a nice oak box with 20 pounds of copper windings in it.

·
Administrator
21,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dad was an electrical engineer that earned his PhD working on tube equipment... Tubes have some intricacies that make them very interesting. Sadly, working with them is a dying art.

I still have a tube tester and a fair amount of other vintage electronics equipment. I even have an old school RMS volt meter from the 40's in a nice oak box with 20 pounds of copper windings in it.
That's what I need for Christmas, a current multimeter that does true RMS. :embarassed: We've got a ton of tubes here at work, every now and then we still have to work with some of that old stuff, it really is becoming lost art, kind of like soldering, almost everything now days is becoming swap-tronics of some sort.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
Takes me back to the old TV-7 tube tester...
Just curious, does anyone else remember when they used to have tube testers in stores and you could bring in tubes and test them yourself? I know, I know I am giving away my age.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Just curious, does anyone else remember when they used to have tube testers in stores and you could bring in tubes and test them yourself? I know, I know I am giving away my age.

yep.... I went with my Dad every Saturday afternoon to one of the corner stores in town to take a cardboard box full of tubes from the old console tv..... he never missed "Saturday Night at the Fights", at least not because of a bad tube (he did manage to break a few tubes one night, including the picture tube...right in the middle of the first big win for Cassius Clay.....but that's another story:blink:)

surv

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Takes me back to the old TV-7 tube tester...
yep.... I went with my Dad every Saturday afternoon to one of the corner stores in town to take a cardboard box full of tubes from the old console tv..... he never missed "Saturday Night at the Fights", at least not because of a bad tube (he did manage to break a few tubes one night, including the picture tube...right in the middle of the first big win for Cassius Clay.....but that's another story:blink:)

surv
Oh yes!........I remember our family's first color tv.....my dad & I kept it running until the late 1970s by taking the tubes up to the tester at the store. It seemed to be an almost weekly thing......he'd take the tubes plug them in the right socket & hit the test button. Then get a replacement from the compartment underneath the unit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's what I need for Christmas, a current multimeter that does true RMS. :embarassed: We've got a ton of tubes here at work, every now and then we still have to work with some of that old stuff, it really is becoming lost art, kind of like soldering, almost everything now days is becoming swap-tronics of some sort.
I'd settle on a good-quality ANALOG mutimeter..... this digital s#!+ today stinks.....Let's bring back the Triplett or Simpson!!! Nice big, easy-to-read meter face, plenty of range....MADE IN U.S.A.----!!!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts