Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I received my MTAC Minotaur this week and it seems to be fairly comfortable, more as i get used to it. I`m new to CCW so please bear with me. I carry a full sized gun( M&P40) and i think that i`m doing a pretty good job concealing it under an oversized tee shirt. I`m using a wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt to hold it all together. Please check out these photos and let me know how i`m doing. Any helpful pointers will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. If i bend at the waist, the butt of the gun will bulge out. I haven`t noticed any printing while twisting my upper body though. I now bend at the knees instead now, which is better for my back anyway. While i have your attention, is my gun at the optimal position? or do i need to go more toward my back?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
What belt are you using? A good stiff gun belt makes a big difference.

For me I would slide the holster a little forward to say 3:30 to keep the pistol butt from sticking out from the back.

Congrats on your set up, the M&P 40 is a great weapon, dream to shoot. Stay safe.

·
Registered
672 Posts
, is my gun at the optimal position? or do i need to go more toward my back?
Optimal position is up to you. Wherever you fell the most comfortable. Just make sure to practice your draw wherever you decide to keep it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks again guys for the replies. To JAT40, i`m wearing a wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt. Also, i will try a little more forward to 3:30 and see how that works. I tried that position briefly at first but thought that produced a bigger hump on my side than my current 4:00 position. I thought it might be more noticable from a head on or rear profile view. I will give it a try anyway. Again thanks guys and if there are any more pointers, please feel free to share. Like i said earlier, i`m a rookie at this and am open to constructive criticism.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Kelvinf,

I would say try it at different positions with different clothes. Sitting and standing to see what it would feel like while driving. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
When I carry something other than my trusty 642 snubbie in a pocket holster, I carry a full size XD40 in an MTAC at 3:30 or so, with a pretty pronounced forward cant. I'm 5'9" and about 220 pounds. The butt doesn't print unless I bend all the way over at the waist. It took a week or so of tinkering to come up with what worked best for me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice- I think I might use an instructor belt, too. Then save a few $$ and get a nice Leather belt. I like the Mernickle for the money.

Watch your top knot....
Greg in West Michigan

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Looks good...well concealed...:yup::hand10:

·
Registered
401 Posts
They spot on me that feels and conceals the best standing is horrible in the truck, so I carry right on the verge of what is comfortable driving and live with some printing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still kinda self consious about concealment, no one else seems to notice though. I`m sure it will get better with time. My biggest concern is wearing shirts that are so oversized that i draw attetion from others. I normally wear xlarge, but i switched to xxlarge and the hem of the shirts hange really low which also has made it more difficult to draw quickly due to the extra length of shirt material i must get outta the way to access my firearm. Any pointers there?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I still kinda self consious about concealment, no one else seems to notice though. I`m sure it will get better with time. My biggest concern is wearing shirts that are so oversized that i draw attetion from others. I normally wear xlarge, but i switched to xxlarge and the hem of the shirts hange really low which also has made it more difficult to draw quickly due to the extra length of shirt material i must get outta the way to access my firearm. Any pointers there?
There is a big secret us cc/oc'ers know and I will pass it on to you....knowbody notices your gun!!! Most people are soooo involved in their own little world that they don't notice what is going on around them, including someone carrying a gun. People have gotten so used to seeing cell phones, leathermans, etc., on peoples belts that they don't notice a gun on the belt. The brain just tends to blank it out. Most OCers will tell you that 99% of the people out their never notice their gun.

Wearing the gun closer to the back and bending over may create bulges in places where people don't expect to see them and may be noticed. Wearing it closer to the 3:00 position creates bulges where people expect to see them because of the cell phones etc. so they don't notice it.

I can't believe you're worried about being discovered because of baggy clothing!! Go to local mall or Wally World and just watch the people. Except for the ladies (who's clothes seem to get tighter and tighter with less and less material - not complaining mind you :image035:) everyone else wears baggy clothes.

You, my friend, are suffering from the same problem every new carrier has - paranoia. Because you know it's there you think everyone else does too. Keep carrying and that shall soon pass. Keep playing with the MTAC and soon you'll find a position that suits you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, i moved the holster forward about an inch today and so far it`s more comfortable. The gun doesn`t seem to shift as much when i sit down or bend over. Also, i don`t have to wear my belt as tight which really adds to the comfort.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have found with my MTAC that placing it at 3 o-clock is best even for bending. my hip bone is rigth where the leather tab stickes up. this keeps most of the grip near the center of bending and that helps keep it out of site. this is with a XD40SC that has the long 12 round mag and not the 10. with the 10 just about anyplace keeps it hidden.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Of all the leather, kydex and combos I've had, the MTAC is by far my favorite holster. I own more MTACs than any other holster. Going to try a Crossbreed Supertuck some time, but for now, I'm all MTAC.

Nice rig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello again guys,
I just orderd some Perry suspenders yesterday. Even though i`ve pretty much found the most comfortable position for my rig, i still have to tighten my belt just a little on the uncomfortable side to feel like the holster will not shift. The suspenders i think will allow me to loosen my belt a little and still be secure. Any thoghts on that?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wear Perry suspenders when the weather allows, with a good stiff gun belt you can loosen the belt alot. When I wear the suspenders and gun belt I can carry a full size 1911 without any sagging or having to pull my pants up every 5 seconds.

My favorite belt is the Wilderness 5 stitch with the reenforcement. I'm a big guy and the reenforcement does seem to help prevent sagging. I can also cinch it as tight or loose as I want.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts