Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, here is my new 66-2....will be shooting it this week. Want good carry grips. Would love wood, but the fit must be perfect and the recoil dampening "should be" good...I know not as good as rubber but love the looks of wood. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I know......my picture sucks :embarassed:)

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Very nice pistola.... congrats :congrats:
Lots of choices... check out Hogue or Badger grips...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm partial to Ahrends Round Butt Finger Groove grips. Good looking IMO and WAY more comfortable than the magnas or the severely over priced Combats that do not fit my small hands. Can be had through Brownells for $43.00 versus the $150+ Combats.

Had a set of $150.00 checkered Spegals. Very nice grips but would bloody my hand with 12 rounds of 158 gr. Speer Gold Dots. Sold them on the S&W Forum for a loss.

BROWNELLS : AHRENDS : S&W REVOLVER EXOTIC WOOD GRIPS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

3" Ashland run 66-2 Ahrends Boot Grips - Great for CC

19-4 Ahrends Round Butt Finger Groove grips - Great for CC and offer more gripping area. Better if you'll be doing alot of shootiing

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think if it's an open backstrap design (either in rubber or wood), some of the recoil energy will be pounding directly against the web of the hand.

I really like the Uncle Mike's combat rubber boots which were originally provided by S&W on my 686 (round butt like your 66).

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Something wrong with my eyes? I like it just the way it is...:yup::hand10:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Ahrends fan here...

I have several K frame snubbies like yours, and prefer the Ahrends finger groove wood grips on them. These do not have checkering, but the finger grooves suffice to lock the gun in your hand while shooting. Ahrends offers these grips in a variety of woods. My favorites are cordia and cocobolo woods.

·
Registered
741 Posts
S&W J frame

I like the look of these, but do not know the slickness factor. My buddy has some on his .45 and we have no issues.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm partial to Ahrends Round Butt Finger Groove grips. Good looking IMO and WAY more comfortable than the magnas or the severely over priced Combats that do not fit my small hands. Can be had through Brownells for $43.00 versus the $150+ Combats.

Had a set of $150.00 checkered Spegals. Very nice grips but would bloody my hand with 12 rounds of 158 gr. Speer Gold Dots. Sold them on the S&W Forum for a loss.

BROWNELLS : AHRENDS : S&W REVOLVER EXOTIC WOOD GRIPS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

3" Ashland run 66-2 Ahrends Boot Grips - Great for CC

They appear to be $60 on the site now....but nice grips...do you get the standard finish or optional....does anyone think the optional is needed?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know you like wood. So do I.

But if the gun is truly for carry you should (IMO) really consider the Crimson Trace laser grips. I like the LG306's for carry.

They aren't wood. But they do look kind of mean in their own way. They also add a whole nuther dimension to your self defense capabilities IMO.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know you like wood. So do I.

But if the gun is truly for carry you should (IMO) really consider the Crimson Trace laser grips. I like the LG306's for carry.

They aren't wood. But they do look kind of mean in their own way. They also add a whole nuther dimension to your self defense capabilities IMO.
I was wanting to stay away from rubber and the price of laser grips but I know that is a decent option. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not Wood but I like these the best. Durable and Easily Replaceable. Pachmayr Compac Professional.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not try a Tyler T-Grip (Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc) until you decide on a wood grip, may make the grip more comfortable. I have them on my colt det. spcl. but not my M 66-1, it wears pachmyr compact grips, just a sugggestion.
ok, shot it yesterday for the first time......actually liked the factory grips and am going to get a Tyler......if that doesnt do it then down the road I will get a set of Ahernds or something along that line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened to see this tread and thought I would see what you guys have to say. I have been carrying my S&W 66 4 inch with Pachmayr Presentation grips and have been looking for something else. They hurt when loaded with full bore 158 gr. swc or Hornaday HP. I also get a bunch of muzzle jump. Anything out there that makes a difference?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts