Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up for my birthday. Put 150 rounds though it so far.

The night sights say 1992, they're very dim it needs new ones. It was a Cleveland Police Gun.

I absolutely love it. I wanted the 5903 thats DA/SA but they didn't have it anymore so I got the 5943. The DAO trigger isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be I really like it. Shot good groups. Recoil is low.

There is a little bit of Holster wear near the top of the slide but over all the finish is still pretty good. The insides are even cleaner. That's the great thing about police guns. Most of them are only fired once a year!

I do have a question though. The gun is a DAO. It does not seem to have "Second Strike". I must pull the slide back .25" to cock the hammer. When I was playing with it at the Gun Shop i just figured it was how it was supposed to work and didn't ask about it.

Someone told me though that it is supposed to have "Second Strike" and the trigger should be able to move the hammer all the time. So I'm hoping someone here has one and can let me know.

Here's some pics. Her name is Sidney.

Here's the hammer at Rest

Here's the hammer "cocked"

·
Registered
41,238 Posts
Nice! There're a lot of old models out there i'd like to have, even if they're not the latest and greatest.
Looks like a keeper to me.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Nothing like a good 3rd generation S&W. My police trade in 6946 has over 10K+ trouble free rounds down the pipe. It was my first carry gun and one I will never sell.

No second strike for S&W semi's so normal.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Those 3rd gen Smiths especially in 9mm are built like tanks. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Those 3rd gen Smiths especially in 9mm are built like tanks. Congrats.
this is true... I have shot a two different model 59's and they both feel like you couldn't break them if you wanted to.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Cpongrats on a nice find...great pistola!:yup::hand10:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Great looking 3rd gen Smith... :yup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the exact same gun, with the Cleveland Ohio pd stamped on it. The gun was my uncle's old issued gun. now they have the glock 19. the smith is an awesome gun.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I got a 6906 that IMHO was a former cop gun,It shoots pretty good DA/SA,has a mag safety that I hate,I'm gonna take it to the range and blast away this weekend with it

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Sweet. It has a lot more character than a tupperware frame gun.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
On a semi related topic have you all noticed the numerous resurrections of zombie threads that have been dead for a year or more? LOL

·
Banned
1,290 Posts

The night sights say 1992, they're very dim it needs new ones. It was a Cleveland Police Gun.

I absolutely love it. I wanted the 5903 thats DA/SA but they didn't have it anymore so I got the 5943. The DAO trigger isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be I really like it. Shot good groups. Recoil is low.

There is a little bit of Holster wear near the top of the slide but over all the finish is still pretty good. The insides are even cleaner. That's the great thing about police guns. Most of them are only fired once a year!

I do have a question though. The gun is a DAO. It does not seem to have "Second Strike". I must pull the slide back .25" to cock the hammer. When I was playing with it at the Gun Shop i just figured it was how it was supposed to work and didn't ask about it.

Someone told me though that it is supposed to have "Second Strike" and the trigger should be able to move the hammer all the time. So I'm hoping someone here has one and can let me know.

Nice! How's the recoil?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Sharp lookin' S&W. Usually PO firearms are only fired twice a year. But they are carried frequently. So they are exposed to a lot of body sweat and have a fair amount of holster wear. Being a firearms instructor, I see how most cops treat their guns. When I inspect them after a range session, I often give the same speeches to the same officers.

But clean her up nice and enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't find accessories for this gun

I have the same exact gun I inherited from my dad who was a Cleveland police officer in the 2nd district. Shoots great, but the trigger travel is quite long and i think it is a 8 or 9# trigger. Also, other than the duty holster i have for it I cant find a different holster for it anywhere. I would love to get a serpa holster but cant one one thats compatible. Or an IWB holster would be great but cant find any that are compatible. Anyone have suggestions or a source where I can find a compatible holster?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice purchase! I have a 5906 that I absolutely LOVE. Great gun to take to the range for the day. Congrats and enjoy it!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Congrats on a gun that will outlast your great grand chillins.
I personally carry a 3914 on occasion, very similar to yours,but single stack. I owned a 4043 for years, foolishly trading it away.
Accessories are available, but indeed hard to find.
You'll learn to love that DAO trigger, the one on the 4043 was like buttah!!!!

Here's a link to sights, and a holster that I personally use for mt 3914. It's an awesome holster, for cheap.
Novak night sights...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002INGI8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=LPM3T0FX8RK6&coliid=I2SMXP4EBU163R

Desantis sof-tuck
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DM6MQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My 4043 had brite sights on it, but the 3914 I carry has 3 dot non night sights. While they are novak, they are painted dots. i used blaze paint on the front dot, it works fine. It is super accurate.
Go to Wolff springs and buy a spring kit for it in original weights, change the recoil and mag springs. It'll be like new, and last forever.

My 3914.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/195908-scored-clean-3914-a.html

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Nice. The only reason 3rd Gen. Smiths, which would probably be 4th or 5th Gen. now are not being made is due to plastic guns being so much cheaper to produce. They were fantastic guns back then and are fantastic guns today. One of the best buys out there as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
3rd Gen S&W centerfire autoloaders are among the treasures of the handgun cognoscenti. Well bought!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts