Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have recommended the alien gear cloak tuck 3.0 holster to others and have mentioned this issue only briefly. I have been carrying with this holster for over a year and we all know how things can grow on you over time whether it be positive or negative.

My issue is the gap created at the rear of the holster making it feel more like a solid flat piece of plastic instead of conforming to my belt line. I have taken some pictures to show you this to see if others have the same issue and inform new customers looking at this option.

20161227_180033.jpg
This shows the gap I'm speaking of. There is no force needed to put my hand in this unsupported portion of my belt line. I carry at the 4-5 o'clock position.

Below shows me using a Galco king tuk designed for my Glock 21. It just happens to fit my FNS compact well. This holster is noticeably more comfortable in all positions. You will notice no gap and solid contact around my belt line.
20161227_180642.jpg

Lucky for me I am able to utilize this holster without issue and retention is good while being worn. So if your having problems finding a specific holster for your FNS a G21 holster will fit suitably. My G21 Serpa and shoulder holster also fit I've noticed.

20161227_181126.jpg
alien gear cloak tuck 3.0 on the left and Galco King Tuk on the right.

You will also notice in the above picture how much wider the footprint is on the body of the holster itself.

Other then this one issue the holster is great. It might just be my body type or this specific pistol mold, but with all other molds being swappable I would think they would all suffer from this big footprint within the waistband and cause the same issue.

From now on I will start repurposing my G21 King Tuk as it's much more comfortable and is still smooth on the draw and retains the pistol well. Let me know if you've had this same experience.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Yep, I have the same complaint with my P95 and the G19 when carried in the Cloak Tuck. It doesn't seem to affect concealment or retention, but isn't as comfortable as I would like, especially when seated in the car.

Reactions: LeanHard

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Seems the cloak has more kydex aft of the trigger guard, most likely keeping the leather from forming to your body tighter. Heating and bending might make it form better to you , but you would need to be careful to not change the trigger guard molding.

Reactions: Ianthin and BadgerJ

·
Premium Member
36,749 Posts
Many factors affect holster and gun-ride against the body, or lack thereof--ride height, body configuration, degree of cant, location of securement points, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also use the 3.0 and it looks like you are wearing it at the tallest setting. Can you move it down one hole and get better results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine arrived today, going to check it but if that is the case then I will return it.
I want it as close as possible.

1,458 Posts
Its interesting to hear you bring this up, as it coincides with some design theories we consider when building our holsters. Internally we refer to this as the "rigid width" or "rigid surface area" of the holster. We call it that because that is the portion of a hybrid holster that is effectively rigid and does not conform to the body. (The backer can conform, but the fore and aft mounting points of the shell do not). We believe through experience and testing that the rigid width is a significant factor in comfort, with smaller generally being more comfortable. As you have shown, increasing the width of the plastic(therefore increasing the rigid width) can cause the fore and aft portions of the holster (where the screws attach the shell to the backer) to separate from the body. It seems that for some people this is not an issue, but I have always found it to be an annoyance (it is an issue that effects most hybrid holsters to some degree by their very nature).

Initially, we reduced this dimension by forming with great detail the flanges of the Kydex that contact the leather backer, by reducing the natural radius formed with vacuum or foam forming methods you can move your rivets/screws/stitches closer to the handgun, and trim excess Kydex. This was our approach on the earliest ACE-1 holster in 2010.

In another attempt to help reduce the negative effect of this width we introduced the comfort curve to the ACE-1 in 2014. The comfort curve is a slight bend on the sight channel mounting flange of the Kydex. Rather than forming it on a flat plate as most hybrids are formed, we form it on an angled plate. While this doesn't reduce the rigid width of the holster since it still requires two flanges for mounting, it did reduce the separation the holster from the body and allowed for more even pressure distribution on the body.

In our most recent method of addressing this issue we introduced the Protos-M holster. The Protos-M eliminates the mounting flange on the trigger guard side of the shell. This is done by turning it in, rather than out, which has the advantage of providing full-kydex-like retention but the comfort of a hybrid design. Since we were able to significantly reduce the rigid width of the holster, we opted for a standard sight channel flange because it allows for more flexibility in positioning on the body. (Holsters with the comfort curve are best worn from the 3-5 o'clock position. The angled flange can be a problem more forward or rearward of that by creating a pressure point). This has allowed us to create one of the most compact hybrids on the market. (For reference, the AG holster for a Glock 19 is approx 50% larger than the Protos-M for the same gun.)

The AG holster has one of the widest shells on the market from what I have seen, and as you and others have identified this is likely the cause of your issue. It seems that the large shell sizes are required for their modular platform, one of the cost that come with the benefits of easy shell changes.

I certainly can't speak to the design philosophy of other makers, but it seems we are not the only company (or by any means the first) to see this. Many hybrid makers try to minimize the extra material with tighter forming and narrower mounting flanges. Some companies, like Comp-Tac have actually had a very narrow holster with no extended mounting flange on the trigger guard side of the shell for years.

-Clay

·
Registered
20,078 Posts
That's too much material to be stuffing in your pants.
Might as well wear a girdle.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have the same issue with my AG...

I tolerate it because my $100 crossbreed kydex cracked twice.

I'm confident the AG will never crack, but the search for the perfect holster continues.

:hand15:

1,458 Posts
I have the same issue with my AG...

I tolerate it because my $100 crossbreed kydex cracked twice.

I'm confident the AG will never crack, but the search for the perfect holster continues.

:hand15:
I believe CB still uses .060" Kydex, do you know if that is correct? We used to use .060 Kydex in our first generation of holsters and had occasional holsters returned for cracking (Maybe 1 in 200-300 holsters I would guess). We ended up transitioning to .093 and are finally settling on .080. I don't think we have had a single cracking of Kydex since we dropped the .060 Kydex and moved to our comfort curve design which reduces stress on the Kydex.

I believe the majority of hybrid makers have moved away from .060 Kydex for that reason.

-Clay

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also use the 3.0 and it looks like you are wearing it at the tallest setting. Can you move it down one hole and get better results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll try tonight and see if setting it up in a high ride position to see if there any effect on how it feels and if I can draw the gun as easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dont have that problem, maybe you just need more back fat :confused:

The only problem i have with my cloak tuck is that the screws for the clips are always coming loose and sometimes even the screws for the shell. with loctite

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well I gave it a try and have a similar issue. It's sticking out quite noticeably.
I guess I'm too skinny for it.
Too bad cause it's quite comfy.
The search continues. :/

·
Registered
35 Posts

I have a Gen. 1 Alien Gear, and HAD a Gen. 3.

You can see by the photos I posted how much I trimmed the Gen. 1 leather and kydex shell. Just too damned big.

I sold the Gen. 3 because it was too large and I didn't feel like screwing around trying to trim the backer since it has multiple layers.

I'm going to seriously look at the Black Arch holsters. I saw them in another thread, and they look really nice.
Donald Trump is Obama's legacy

·
Registered
15 Posts
To the OP:

Have you tried a simple Kydex style holster?

Only reason I ask is I always thought a big hybrid style holster would be the best choice in terms of comfort until I owned one. I went with a Hidden Hybrid holster and while the quality was top notch (IMO) it just didn't work for me. I didn't like how big the holster felt against my body and just like you, I had that funny gap. On a whim I tried a minimalist Kydex holster and that's all I carry in now. For me the smaller footprint against my body is much more comfortable and I don't have any funny gaps. I carry my G19 and XD-S in Vedder Light Tucks. Just something to consider.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts