Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been OCing my 1911 all week (and probably all next week) due to my PF9 getting a new coat to wear courtesy of a friends connection.
And since I normally OC about once or twice a week I decided to go all out and go to as many places as I can to give it some exposure and test the sheeple.
Funny part is that the only one that's said a word to me yet was a little boy of about 4 or 5 years of age. He was walking out of the local gas and go with his Dad yesterday and turns to him and says....

Little Boy (LB): Look Daddy, a Policeman!

Dad: (doesn't look up) Yep, sure is.....

LB: What kind of gun is that? It's cool!

Dad: (finally looks up) That's a..... Oh! That's not a policeman son, (best part of this right here!) that's just a Man excercising his 2nd Amendment rights!

LB: What's that Dad???

Dad: Why don't you ask this gentelmen what he thinks? I'll bet he has a good answer for you. (he then winks at me)

LB: What's 2nd menaments mean Sir? (as cute as it gets! lol)

So I stopped and talked to the boy and his Dad for a few and left feeling pretty good about that little boys odds of growing up with the right attitude and learning from his Dad!

Other than that I've barely even garnered a few looks at me and the gun. And usually when I carry once or twice a week I get at least a couple of OMG stares or even questions. Which I must admit I kind of enjoy. In my mind it means I'm helping to cement our 2A rights as well as helping to educate the sheeple.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Nice father-son relationship, great intro for 2A...:congrats:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had nearly the exact same thing happen in a grocery store in GA last week. "Daddy, that guy's got a gun!". "Yes he does son, and it's perfectly legal, he's just working to maintain his rights"

So glad you shared this story - it's good to hear there are still those out there that are teaching values to the next generation!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gotta tell ya, it really warmed my heart and had me smilin the rest of the day. I've had more than my fair share of conversations with "non" gun people while I'm OCing, and normally it goes well. Usually it's someone who's curious as to why I'm carrying because they have no understanding. And once in a while it's with someone who "says" they carry also and they just wanna talk shop. But to see a boy being curious and his father having the "right" attitude made me feel good.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Great story, good to see there are still those dads out there teaching their children about what made this country great.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to add, I also get some grief from non gun types for my daughter and her love of guns occasionally. I've had her shooting real guns since she was about 6, and she got her first gun when she was 7. She's now 10 and has 4 guns of her own and can shoot each and every gun I own. Including my bigger guns like my 1911 and Mosins. Matter of fact she love's shooting her 20 gauge and my Mosins almost more than her .22's! ;-)
So whenever I see young kids getting a head start on the hobby/sport/right of guns I get even more warm hearted. Every kid should have a chance to grow up shooting, camping, fishing and hunting IMO. It teaches you more about life than any classroom ever will. ;-)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice story,your lucky to be able to OC if you want.
Maybe one day we can do the same here in Florida.

Ape, what kind of setup rig are you using?
Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
those pesky children

GREAT story Ape, POLAR F'ing OPPOSITE of my "accidental" open carry story.
It is interesting that the only time I have ever been spotted or pointed out as carrying, either cc or oc, it has always been a child. In fact, the only time I have ever been "made" while cc'ing was from a 6 year old boy. Most adults just don't notice.

Great story, sounds like the father is an all-right kind of guy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great story Ape!

I guess most were probably looking at that bad ass 1966 Chevelle you drive instead of the 1911 :smile:
LOL..... The Shadow comes out of the darkness to impose his will! lol

How ya doin big guy! ;-)

Unfortunately I haven't been drivin my baby much this year. :-/ Too much dang rain!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Next time throw in a few good words for JMB and the 1911 handgun.:wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice story,your lucky to be able to OC if you want.
Maybe one day we can do the same here in Florida.

Ape, what kind of setup rig are you using?
Thanks
My OC rig for my 1911 Colt Series 80 MKIV is just a Kydex with a thumb brake release. Cost me about 10 or 15 bucks IIRC? But it seems to be the most steady and solid for the least amount of money.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good story, Ape! I bet the kid's father was CCing.

Was this in Englewood?
Actually he toldf me he was still waiting for his CCW to come in. But I hear things like that a lot to be honest. Much like when people walk up to me when I'm with my Chevelle and tell me they had one just like it back when.... or one at home in the garage...yada yada yada.... But these days I tend to believe it more than in years past. The rate of CCW apps lately proves that. ;-)

And it was actually Littleton or perhaps even Centennial or Parker???
A gas station on my way to work on Lincoln just before Peoria.

Where abouts are you from Anubis?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts