Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have to admit that I am not an open carry guy and I'm not that fond of it for personal and professional reasons, but that's another story for another time.

Back during the month of June I woke up at 0330 and discovered that I was out of cigarettes. If your smoker then you know that this situation is akin to not having oxygen when you try to breath. (Nasty habit, I know)

In short I had a pair of 5.11 cargos with a Safariland 6004 drop leg holster still saddled on the riggers belt that was still in the pants (1911 with two mag pouch on the leg shroud). I simply put them on and threw the leg straps around my thigh and put on my boots and a t-shirt and shoved the 1911 into the holster and drove up the street to the all night BP station.

Of course there was the usual late night city police cruiser in the lot and the officer sipping coffee inside killing time with the attendant at the register. When I walked in I saw his eyes light up. I asked for a pack of Camel Lights in a box and began to pay for them when the officer say's "Are you in law enforecment?" To which I respond "No sir, just exercising my state constitutional right to openly carry a firearm for my own personal protection"

With that said I walked out the door to my car. I noticed the officer on his radio as I was starting the car. Wouldn't ya know it, two officers suddenly come up on my rear bumper and follow me all the way to the damn door of house. :comeandgetsome:

I suppose the moral of the story is.............................exercise your right to open carry, but be ready for some harrassment and or even a false arrest.

I suppose the "Tactical Rig" didn't help matters much, but nothing say's you can't have your firearm strapped to your leg instead of your waist. :22a:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I suppose the moral of the story is.............................exercise your right to open carry, but be ready for some harrassment and or even a false arrest.
I'll add, "in Kentucky". If you were in Arizona, the LEO likely wouldn't have given you a second glance. I open carry every day, and have never had a LEO do anything other than casual conversation.

A lot of the panic is regional in my experience. Some areas you get it, some you don't. Firearms are a common sight here in the border country of Arizona.

BTW-If one asked if I was an LEO, I'd have just said "No". The LEO's here are well aware of the laws and practice of open carry by citizens.

Daryl

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll add, "in Kentucky". If you were in Arizona, the LEO likely wouldn't have given you a second glance. I open carry every day, and have never had a LEO do anything other than casual conversation.

A lot of the panic is regional in my experience. Some areas you get it, some you don't. Firearms are a common sight here in the border country of Arizona.

BTW-If one asked if I was an LEO, I'd have just said "No". The LEO's here are well aware of the laws and practice of open carry by citizens.

Daryl
Yes, In Kentucky, especially here in the northern part of the state.

Your correct that it is a regional thing. If the LEO's don't see it much they tend to act out as if they've got a duty to inspect your reasons for carrying.

LEO"s around here also like to confiscate firearms. Most are never returned via a plea deal of some sort. So, in other words, they drop the charges if you give up the gun.

It's beyond me how they get away with this, since it's clearly a constitutional right, but I've seen it happen to two people.

:hand1:

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
In Virginia...hardly a problem. VCDL and its members see to that.

Been OCing all day today--Home Depot, county dump, Subway, grocery store...no problems

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I wish someone would arrest me for open carry, I need the money.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
LEO"s around here also like to confiscate firearms. Most are never returned via a plea deal of some sort. So, in other words, they drop the charges if you give up the gun.

It's beyond me how they get away with this, since it's clearly a constitutional right, but I've seen it happen to two people.

:hand1:
That's what lawyers are for. Hate the thought of suing a PD but sometimes that might be what it takes to stop illegal actions. After a few lawsuits, the harrassment will decline.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal they have there. See someone with a gun, take the gun and make a trumped up charge to charge them with.

Then offer to drop the trumped up charge, and keep the firearm for your trouble. Sweet, but it's illegal. I doubt I'd take the deal, and I'd push for at least false arrest and illegal confiscation of property.

And I might not win, but I'd surely fight.

;)

Daryl

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal they have there. See someone with a gun, take the gun and make a trumped up charge to charge them with.

Then offer to drop the trumped up charge, and keep the firearm for your trouble. Sweet, but it's illegal. I doubt I'd take the deal, and I'd push for at least false arrest and illegal confiscation of property.

And I might not win, but I'd surely fight.

;)

Daryl
Yes, it's a sweet deal for the officers. I've been witness to two events tht lead to the confiscation, permantley of the firearm. The first one was Colt MkIV Series 70 1911 and the other an H&K USP .40 S&W.

I'm guessing, it's a just a thought, but those officers now have those firearms in their own personal collection. It's just guess ya know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm guessing, it's a just a thought, but those officers now have those firearms in their own personal collection. It's just guess ya know.
Of course! We'd never accuse our fine men in blue (or brown, whichever the case) of being dishonest.

Of course, it would be pretty easy for them to make sure it wasn't in the computer as stolen, with them having access to it and all, if they DID do that.

But they wouldn't do that, of course, and I'd not suggest such a thing.

Sorta reminds me of the one about the officer who pulled over a cowboy for speeding.

The officer was filling out a ticket, and was having some trouble with the flies buzzing around his head. The cowboy said, "You're having a bit of trouble with those circle flies, arn't you?". The LEO said yes, and the cowboy continued, "You know, we call them circle flies because we usually see them circling around a horse's behind". Then the officer asked him "Are you implying something?", to which the cowboy said, "OH, NO sir! I wouldn't say such a thing about a fine, upstanding fella like you!"

So the officer relaxed, and the cowboy continued, "Ya can't fool them flies, though!"

Just like that cowboy, I'd not make such an implication...unless it was MY gun he had in his collection...err...allegedly?

Daryl

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Back during the month of June I woke up at 0330 and discovered that I was out of cigarettes. If your smoker then you know that this situation is akin to not having oxygen when you try to breath. (Nasty habit, I know)
See even the cops think smokein's a bad habit:22a:

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I wish someone would arrest me for open carry, I need the money.
+1

As I have said, since it is completely 100% legal every where here in Tennessee, if some LEO wants to arrest me for open carry, go for it. I would love to retire in my early 40's.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well im sure anything is possible, I have yet to have an experience of that sort, so I truly hate to think that this would or could happen to me....

If it did, you bet you sweet bottom dollar that my lawyer is gonna be seeing me real dam fast..

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I asked my best friend that smoked 4 packs a day if he ever took a breath of fresh air. He said " only when I cough"... He died 2 yrs ago.
It amazes me that here in Ky, a golden carry state, that a person would be harrassed by law enforcement for doing something legal. The guy shouldnt even be a cop. I think I'd have to pull over and ask if there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The only time I was ever stopped while open carrying was when I was running with a 1911 in a thigh rig.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hey Kentuckycarry and Skygod, I'm in N KY.

Exactly how bad/good is the State on OC? I have quite a few rigs that I would love to wear if for no other reason than they are the most practical and comfortable.

Example:
My Spectre Thigh Rig for my G21sf is the perfect method of carry (Thigh Rigs in general are the best. You can drive with them on the top of your thigh as I found out in Iraq, and your hand naturally rests at the grip when standing...).

I would do it if I thought for one second that I wouldn't get in some kind of retarded legal nonsense over the matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts