Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I tell you thank you and you say "no problem" then I am happy that a problem has been averted. Or you say "no worry" and I am really glad that nobody has to worry about me saying thank you. I still think "your welcome" or "my pleasure" sounds so much nicer. I guess it shows my old age yeah, but I like, literally miss the way people used to speak, okaaay?

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
If I tell you thank you and you say "no problem" then I am happy that a problem has been averted. Or you say "no worry" and I am really glad that nobody has to worry about me saying thank you. I still think "your welcome" or "my pleasure" sounds so much nicer. I guess it shows my old age but I like, literally miss the way people used to speak, okaaay?
I agree but the "no problem" thing is far from the worst of it..

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If I tell you thank you and you say "no problem" then I am happy that a problem has been averted. Or you say "no worry" and I am really glad that nobody has to worry about me saying thank you. I still think "your welcome" or "my pleasure" sounds so much nicer. I guess it shows my old age but I like, literally miss the way people used to speak, okaaay?
Lol you need to go to Chick-Fil-A more often those folks will "My Pleasure" you to death.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
If you really want to speak English like the "old days," talk like a pirate! There is a field of linguistic study called English Original Pronunciation, or OP for short. Linguists have been able to piece together what "Modern English" actually sounded like in Shakespere's time and what common English vocabulary was, using multiple techniques. It is not at all like what you would hear on "Downton Abbey." Even among the higher classes it was more guttural,, with a lot of idioms that are no longer in use today. To hear a linguist speak in OP, it sounds more like your stereotypical movie pirate.

There are productions of Shakespere being done in OP now, and it really imparts a different spin on those plays. While Shakespere had a lot of double entendres in his scripts that survive today, when the plays are done in OP, there are many more of them.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Perhaps my standards have slipped, I too prefer "You're Welcome", because any acknowledgement today from millennials seems to be an achievement.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
“ Por nada....”

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
@GpTom I agree! Folks are no where near as polite as they use to be. Probably the fall of the family unit, and liberal run schools.

Where I’m from we sweeten it up to “Why thank you Sugar” ended with a wink or hug.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I agree. I will generally say
"no problem" or "no worries" when somebody has apologized to me, but when it comes to somebody having done something for me I will say "Thanks!" If somebody says "Thanks" to me, I will generally say "your welcome".

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Lol you need to go to Chick-Fil-A more often those folks will "My Pleasure" you to death.
Dag Nab It! Some of you heathens can't leave well enough alone. Now you done gone and stirred up those wild hunger pangs that result in my craving a nice chicken sandwich! :vs_cry:

And BTW...I long for the good old days when a gentleman held a door for a lady and she actually said "thanks."

Reactions: GpTom and Sister

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
And BTW...I long for the good old days when a gentleman held a door for a lady and she actually said "thanks."
That would be me each and everyday ,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts