Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if others have these guns, but I have one...this is the gun that gets all of the "$%&# details" of the things that I do regularly. This is the gun that goes along a couple of days a week when I will be the dirtiest and wet with sweat from head to toe for most of the day. Today was one of its days...I got started at 730am and by about 830am until I got home about 100pm this gun was in the pocket of shorts that were literally dripping with sweat. It has been relegated to this duty after I carried it for years in better conditions...it is the cheapest gun that I have confidence in to carry...so, I feel better about treating a cheap gun badly. However, it may be cheap, but it is absolutely reliable...at least it has been in the 1000 or so rounds that I have fired it...never a bobble. Honestly, this gun is seldom cleaned or even wiped off. I do shoot it, like I did today after getting home. I went out back and ran one mag through it...loaded the mag again, placed it back in the gun and the gun went back in the holster. I do break it down, blow it out and slick up the rails about every 6 months. It never complains, is always ready to go...so, it seems our system must be working.

In spite of my confidence in the little gun...I am not sure that I have ever recommended one of these to anyone...there are too many guns that are far easier to shoot and they cost only slightly more . And, I will say that this was the hardest gun for me to get my grip worked out on, that I have ever owned. And, it was not until I put the grip sleeve on it that I could consistently shoot it accurately. Once that was done...I have been sold on it...but I think it is a gun best left to those with some experience...kind of the same way I feel about snub revolvers.
67720286_2300788566853184_6077123263480201216_n.jpg
67872807_435473027042166_480347325613473792_n.jpg

·
Registered
818 Posts
...there are too many guns that are far easier to shoot...this was the hardest gun for me to get my grip worked out on...I think it is a gun best left to those with some experience...[emphasis added]
I agree wholeheartedly.
Pocket-size pistols are experts' tools.
The smaller it is, the harder it is to shoot accurately and effectively.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree wholeheartedly.
I have shot a lot of handguns in my life...but this gun has the thinnest grip of any gun that I had ever shot...the sleeve gave it enough width to help me get that consistent grip.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I didn't have enough experience with handguns to realize that they were supposed to work perfectly right out of the box. I added the Hogue grip and a stainless rod and heavier spring right away and the shells would get stuck part way out of the magazine. I went back to the standard spring and worked with the gun until it became really reliable. Mine cost me a little over $300 but you can get them now for a lot less than that and with all of the improvements that I made all built in. Mine is called a gen 2 LCP but the newer ones are called LCP 2. I extended a magazine and it allows me to get all three fingers on the grip plus an extra cartridge in the magazine. I can get on target fast with the Viridian green laser that I added. The LCP works for me.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I can't say enough good about the Hogue pin on grip sleeve. It makes the LCP MUCH more shootable! I could never get a good grip on the tiny stock LCP until I put the Hogue pin on grip sleeve!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've owned several LCPs since they were fist introduced. The one I carry every day (even when I carry something larger) has been to hell and back, literally! The LCP pictured below was one that barely survived a house-fire and was refinished by me, which included cerakoting and a grip texture job.

For those who take the time to learn how to shoot the little LCP, they can be rewarded with some amazing groups. Yes, the LCP can be a great shooter in the right hands, even with the thin grips and the tiny sites.

Before he passed, Todd Green from Pistol-Training.com used to show his students that his LCP could hit a steel plate at 75-yards with regularity.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I carried an LCP Custom for over a year and loved everything about it except that it pinched my trigger finger badly on every shot to the point I would wear a Band-Aid for practice. I also added the 13lb recoil spring and Hogue Handall which were big improvements. I sold it and got a Beretta Pico which I like even better than I liked my LCP but, (and its a big but) its not a gun for those that cannot realign their preconceived notions about handguns. I think its a brilliantly designed firearm for its intended purpose and all the hate I see is usually by those that want it to be just like their larger handguns, its not, and I am glad of it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It is often the LAST gun I choose to carry, but it has been carried countless times.
At the beach in board shorts and a t-shirt. the LCP was there...and many other times where I really didn't have the space or time for a weapon...the LCP was there. Would I want to get in a gun fight with that pistol? Absolutely not, but I would rather have it than the full size shooting iron I left in the car/house. It shoots well enough and I 100% agree about it's reliability.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I bought this LCP before I retired....it was really the only gun that I could carry in my job and keep concealed. I worked in a job that carry was not tolerated...but I did not like being disarmed as I was out in rural areas on a daily basis, by myself and this was unacceptable to me. Earlier in my carrier, the attitude about guns was different...the last 5 years I worked...it went steadily downhill. The LCP was a last ditch...and it served that purpose, well. I was challenged with it for the first little while I had it...put the grip sleeve on it and my problems with consistency were solved...I can put them where I want them at appropriate ranges for this gun/cartridge. I don't have the constraints of an employer, now, in my business...I carry it some days as it will work better for me than a larger gun does. It is a "stop gap" measure, but a serviceable one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have been carrying this one around since it was new in 2008. It is bone stock. Cleaned it up some today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
My LCP also has the Hogue grip sleeve which seriously enhances its shootability for me. It’s my I CANNOT PRINT carry weapon. It’s reliability is 100%.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an original design post recall lcp manuf 2011.
It has worked every time very reliable. Also put a laserlyte side pin mount laser. That laser is discontinued.
Trade in value or resale value is very low, so I kept it.
I bought a stainless lcp with the enhanced trigger but it had a manufacturing flaw and was replaced. The replacement was not much better but it did work
So sold that and bought a SIG P238 in 3017.

The lcp is very good pocket pistol.

But QA QC varies. Apparently the first one mentioned is in the sweet spot of tolerance stacking. The now discontinued stainless not so.

Also, the p238 has had no failures too.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I’ve wanted one for years, but hear about a lot of issues people have with them. My cousin has an LGS that has a used one for $200, but I always wonder why the original owners sold it. I do have an LC9 PRO that runs like a clock. As of now that’s my most concealable option.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly.
Is that expertise in identifying targets or marksmanship or recoil tolerance or . . . ? Oh, wait . . .

I can hit the broad side of a barn if it's within range.

I've missed or crippled enough running deer and flying pheasants to have a general idea of the problem.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts