Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was practicing my trigger pull on my 638 with snaps caps and everyting locked up. I had my dealer send it back the S&W.

I heard of it happening before. Can any give me past threads on this?
Can anyone tell me how and/or why it locked up? Has anyone ever dealt with this before(live rounds, snap caps or empty cylinders)?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Weird, and not good!

FWIW I have a 629-4 that absolutely will not work with snapcaps. They lock it right up. However take the snapcaps out and it works just fine and it shoots just fine too. Brand of snapcap doesn't matter either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Euclidean,
Mine locks up with and without the caps. I figured if it locked up without the caps, it would lock up with live ammo.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Actual lock up is very concerning.

Difficulty opening cyl etc is not so uncommon if ejector rod unscrews a bit or star gets a flake or two of powder under it. What was the nature of the lock up tho? Could not pull trigger? Cyl would not advance? Hammer would not drop? Siezed up mid action stroke?

Be interested to know.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was shooting and then trigger locked up. I could not open the cylinder. I had to take the side plate off to look inside to see why it locked up and that was the only way I could get it to unlock.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a PC625-10 snubbie lock up after shooting some carry loads. I sent it to S&W, they fixed it for free, and I sold it.

I suspect P95's advise is likely correct. Loose ejector rod is the most likely the problem.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
1 Man - well I'd certainly to be sure, check ejector rod and inspect under star. It is amazing how the cylinder can bind and so lock up the whole enchelada.

If all is well in those areas then just perhaps an internals problem and send back.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P95Carry said:
If all is well in those areas then just perhaps an internals problem and send back.
I sent it back to Smith, I'll let their gunsmiths fix it. I heard of it happening before but I wonder if it happens more in the new style(alloy frame) than the old style(all steel).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts