Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USP. Sorry but the dig. cam is down, scanner works though. Never really noticed all the holster wear on my USP till now.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lots of character in person. All the lines of the slide are shiny. Doesn't bother me, since it isn't rusting. The HE finish sure is tough.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
I doctored it up a little, but I am guessing thats a B&W pic right? You can see the holster wear on the USP now. You should be carring that Champion more:image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just got the Champion to replace the Taurus PT 140 I Kb'ed. The Champion will be my summer carry piece. And the USP has been with me since '93. Thanks for the retouch ya still can't tell but the frame is a dark O.D. green .

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I like the worn look, makes it look like you have worn it since 93'. How much powder do ya got through the USP?

Ti.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At a guess, probably more than 5,000 rnds. I know I have run over 1,000 rnds of reloaded ammo thru it, but didn't start loading till 03 or so. So the 5,000 probably is on the low side. I really like the USP for it's all weather finish. Works great camping, kayaking or other outdoor harsh weather environments.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Tough guns Rocky - obviously served you well.

As Bud says - the HK finish and Gaston's Tennifer - have to be about the most durable finishes around.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Rocky
I have been eyeing the champion for my next purchase. Would love to hear a range report on it when you get a chance.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had it out twice so far. Only about 50 rnds due to the cold weather we have had. Sights were a bit to the left for me, but the recoil was very managable. Also the trigger pull was decent, but not too light. So far I am happy with it. Will give afull report once I get some HP's and a few more rounds thru it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Looking forward to it Rocky. One other question. What finish is on it? Looks gray and white on my monitor.
Mike

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I have the SA Champion. So far so good. Shot a little left for me until I got used to the trigger.

-Scott-

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Scott said:
I have the SA Champion. So far so good. Shot a little left for me until I got used to the trigger.

-Scott-

Mine did the same thing. I adjusted by using the first joint of my trigger finger instead of the pad, that seemed to pull things back to the right. At the time I assumed it was the short trigger on the SA as the stock long triggers on my Colts never seemed to do that. My Champion is long gone now but I still have the Milt Sparks Watch Six for it should I ever decide to replace it (though now I'm thinking a Milspec will be the next gun to follow me home).
Jack

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mike_1 said:
Looking forward to it Rocky. One other question. What finish is on it? Looks gray and white on my monitor.
Mike
OD green frame , Blued -black slide,grip and levers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got that same Champion. Mine is the lightweight version, great carry piece. No failures whatsoever thru 300 rounds of ball and hp. Shoots POA and very accurate.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Springfield Champion is by far one of the best CCW's on the market. The balance is perfect in the 4" barrel, accuracy is superb and they can be had in several configurations. I originally bought a GI WWII version for a song and when I found out just how accurate it was decided to make it more to my liking. Here is the final product:
http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=485&d=1122167115

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tex45acp, nice looking gun. I didn't want to be relpacing parts after buying a gun. Also wanted it to be factory stock, since its for ccw.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Tex that is sweet. Can you share what all you had done?
Mike

·
Registered
698 Posts
mike_1
When I first bought the gun I almost sold it but then I took it to the range and man what a shooter it was. So I decided to keep it.
One of the first things I noticed with the gun was all the "cut you deep" sharp edges.......not good for a carry weapon!!! I completely dehorned the slide and frame using files and metal working sandpaper. I paid special attention to the muzzle end of the slide giving it a large radius so that it would not wear easily and not tear up my holster. Then I lowered and flared the ejection port and dehorned all sharp edges there. I also chamfered the magazine opening at the bottom of the grip to aid in mag insertion. I replaced the arched mainspring housing with one that from Guncrafter Industries (they make the .50gi) that is parkerized. I then sent the frame and slide to Springfield to have a set of Novak Extreme Duty Adjustable Tritium sights installed and to have a parkerized beavertail grip safety fitted. I also had them reparkerize the gun. I simply love that finish. When the gun was returned I installed a Cylinder & Slide Trigger Pull Set that brought the trigger pull to 4.75 lbs. I added a McCormick trigger and extended thumb safety. I replaced the extractor, ejector and firing pin with Wilson bulletproof items. I chamfered the barrel opening and highly polished the ramp and chamber to aid in feeding. All in all...I could have bought the same gun for about $100.00 cheaper but I really enjoy working with metal. I am a machinist. I have had other folks ask me to modify their guns but I politely refuse due to liability.

All this work took approximately 12 weeks to complete. My gun functioned flawlessly for over 8000 rounds then a buddy threw enough money at me to buy the gun. I felt that after 8000 rounds and a thourough check with spring replacement, I could comfortably sell the gun to him. He has had it about 6 months now and carries it daily.

I have since bought a new in box, 1992 model stainless Champion. This one has the bushed barrel like the 5" 1911's have. It too is very accurate and I am in the process of some light modification to this one as well. I'll post pics when I am finished.

rocky,
I agree with your decision, look for a loaded Champion. It is a wonderful carry weapon and will serve you well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts