Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago, I fell on my right shoulder, and busted it up pretty bad. Cortisone shots worked for a time, till my Orthopedic Surgeon had to replace the entire shoulder. Subsequently, was in an immobilizing sling for 30 days, and now in extensive re-hab therapy.
My right arm has very limited mobility, thus rendering me vunerable without my Shield. We live in a very rural area, with little crime, but that's not to say they bad guys are lurking around the corner.
What recommendations do you have for self protection, with my right arm basically useless? Never have been able to do much with just the left arm/hand.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
All I got is sorry about your shoulder, good luck with the recovery and make sure you do exactly what the physical terrorist tells you. And practice left handed! :smile: (Something we all should do. :redface:)

·
Premium Member
38,937 Posts
My bug is a pocket Kahr .380, carried weak side. I'm good with it at "self-defense" distances. I have never fired it strong side. It wouldn't be optimal if it were all I had, but it's much better than nothing.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to carry weak side IWB.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Know what its like.

In 2010 I tore up my right shoulder. At the time I regularly carried at about 3:30-4:00 IWB.
I shifted to AIWB just left of my belt buckle cross draw.

Positioning it cross draw I have access with either hand. I use the same holster I used for strong side (Mitch Rosen, Workman). The angle is perfect for a left hand cavalry twist draw. Right hand is not bad, but not as good as a straight holster would be.

There are a couple of threads that talk about options, you might be able to find them. I know one was specifically taking about reloading techniques.

Good luck with the rehab!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
About twenty years ago I lost use of my dominate hand for about a year.
Took time and effort to become capable with my offhand.
Really sucks relearning to do everything. Continue your PT and it can only get better.
I was told I might get back 75% use. Worked my arse off and am up to about 95%.

So don't give up. Now for SD, you might need to get a revolver and practice.
A semi slide can be racked one handed, but that is another skill to learn.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
A trained guard dog. Will cost more than alot of guns tho. But will also be good company.

A good "safe" room in your home also.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Practice with the left.

·
Premium Member
8,394 Posts
I was also hopelessly right handed/eyed/everything. Until my right hand got totally trashed. I can use it (carefully) as a support hand but no way can it ever be my shooting hand again. I AM LEARNING to shoot left handed (still right eyed, LOL) and it's coming along. Not good enough for competition but good enough for SD in the home, for sure, and possibly for out side the home also.

When I had rotator cuff surgery I knew it was a temporary set back. Now the arthritis severe damage is not temporary in any way and THAT finally gave me the incentive to actually learn to shoot left handed.

Yes, there is pepper spray. It's better than nothing up close and personal, like within several feet. If you really and truly cannot shoot a gun with your left hand, perhaps a container of that will tide you over until your right side gets functional again.

I wish you well!

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
In 2007 I was in a car accident that tore up my right shoulder, and broke both wrists. Like you its a long recovery and will never be the same again. It took me awhile to find a gun I could conceal and shoot well. That accident is one of the reasons I started carrying again after a long time not carrying. Our biggest threat here are packs of feral dogs. So living rural doesn't mean living safe!

I went through my posible guns and found that the two I shoot best are a Walther PP[ just a little bigger than the PPK], and a Beretta 70 , both in 32 acp. They are both small enough to be pocket carried, have grips large enough to get all three fingers on, and have 3 3/4" barrels. The recoil did not bother my wrists either. I can shoot them right or left handed, but to shoot left handed I have to concentrate. It doesn't come naturally. I had a couple surgeries on the right shoulder, and during the recovery periods I would carry a J frame revolver so that I did not have to deal with the slide. Incidentally the isolation sling was a great place to carry a gun!
Good Luck DR

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Our qualification course requires us to use our weak hand for a good string. Practice with your left and you should be fine. Most people find that they can get very good with their weak hand simply because they are concentrating on their shots. Also a good dog is always a good idea. An alert dog can save you from using the gun as well as protect you from physical harm.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
A year ago, I fell on my right shoulder, and busted it up pretty bad. Cortazone shots worked for a time, till my Orthopedic Surgeon had to replace the entire shoulder. Subsequently, was in an immobilizing sling for 30 days, and now in extensive re-hab therapy.
My right arm has very limited mobility, thus rendering me vunerable without my Shield. We live in a very rural area, with little crime, but that's not to say they bad guys are lurking around the corner.
What recommendations do you have for self protection, with my right arm basically useless? Never have been able to do much with just the left arm/hand.
I'd probably go with a carbine length AR for personal protection while at home. I think rifles are easier to shoot left handed if that's the only way for now.
Start looking at auctions for one. If you are in a rural area, there are usually lot of them every week.

Then, I'd start practicing with your pistol, left handed. A laser target might be of some help. They make good X-mas gifts. Start dropping some hints.

I have a friend that sells heavy equipment. He had a stroke and lost control of his right arm. He won't let it defeat him. He goes to therapy regularly, still drives an 18 wheel semi for deliveries. Still a grouch too.

Give it time, Good luck.

Oh, you could maybe build a Quick-Draw sleeve like in Taxi Driver

Reactions: Old Sarge

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
Bretta tomcat ..Tip up barrel no need to reload ..And mild recoil esp with a rubber grip on it

Or learn to shoot with other arm

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Oh, you could maybe build a Quick-Draw sleeve like in Taxi Driver

[/QUOTE]

Oh I would be on this in a heartbeat! But I'm sure there is a CA law against it! Anything that much fun would have to be illegal! DR

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wish you a speedy recovery.....i think its all been said,,,,use your left and practice,practice and more practice. I know its difficult to shoot from weak hand...heck I have enough trouble shooting from my strong hand :smile:

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
At first, i was thinking j frame, like a S&W 442 in the pocket. Then I started thinking about your reloads. A speed strip takes a little bit of dexterity. So would a semi auto .380 be better? I'd say a NY reload. A 442 with .38+P on the belt with a pocket .380 backup.

And practice left handed.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not much I could suggest that hasn't already been said Old Sarge but I sincerely wish your shoulder a speedy recovery and hope you are out of pain soon.

Joe
Thanks for the speedy recovery. One suggestion was to look into a Crimson Trace laser for my S&W 642. Santa is coming.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Best luck with your recovery and rehab. Hope you have a somewhat good return to "normal..." Maybe when you can shoot again, try a smaller caliber than you are used to.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts