Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,124 Posts
That's the best thing about living here...........no snakes. Too many in previous lives.

Glad you're all OK! I think ya'll should of shot it three of four more times though, just to make sure.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I reckon you won't be making a new Hat Band will ya?:blink:

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Good job. I know from personal experience what a copperhead bite is like; the one that got me was a huge monster measuring all of 10 inches long. When they say a snake bite causes immediate intense pain that is an understatement, it felt more like someone dropped an anvil an my finger then put it in a pot of boiling water. It was nice when I got to the hospital, when I told the triage nurse I had been bitten by a copperhead and she saw my finger was already swollen to twice its size and was blue she told me I did not have to wait and I could go on back. After the forth shot of morphine I did start to feel much better. I was lucky in that I did not need any antivenin just antibiotics and pain meds. It did take two months to heal and this is what the finger looks like now.

Finger Skin Hand Thumb Nail
Finger Skin Hand Thumb Joint
Finger Skin Hand Thumb Nail

·
Registered
959 Posts
LOL. Are you serious? If you are, how would I go about doing that? Not all of us have snake handling/charming skills, lol...
Well, I would have caught it with a snake stick and a rubbermade bin. You could have called a professional. Listen, I am not ragging on you for it. They aren't endangered, It just bums me out. I like snakes.

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
Good job. I know from personal experience what a copperhead bite is like; the one that got me was a huge monster measuring all of 10 inches long. When they say a snake bite causes immediate intense pain that is an understatement, it felt more like someone dropped an anvil an my finger then put it in a pot of boiling water. It was nice when I got to the hospital, when I told the triage nurse I had been bitten by a copperhead and she saw my finger was already swollen to twice its size and was blue she told me I did not have to wait and I could go on back. After the forth shot of morphine I did start to feel much better. I was lucky in that I did not need any antivenin just antibiotics and pain meds. It did take two months to heal and this is what the finger looks like now.
Wow!

A few years back I was deer hunting our favorite property in northwestern Connecticut. After a morning in tree stands we came out to lunch and snooze by a line of large rocks. After an appropriate rest we stood up to stretch before heading back to out stands, and I looked down on my heavily-booted foot... there was a juvenile copperhead crawling over the toe of my boot! And "common knowledge" was that timber rattlers were the only poisonous snakes in CT, but this 8-10 incher was undoubtedly a copperhead. When I moved my foot he scurried off into a hoed, but based on your report I'm sure glad he didn't bite!

·
Super Moderator
19,267 Posts
Copperheads are really pretty snakes. Sometimes they are vividly varigated copper in color.

I too kill poisonous snakes any time they're encountered on our place. I figure any poisonous snake taken out of circulation means there will no prodigy to bite family members, the dog, or me in future. The non-poisonous ones are left alone. We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes, and water moccasins. Of the four the moccasins are most detested.

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Something surprising is that it took two months for my wound to heal but copperheads have bitten two of our dogs and they healed in about five days with no tissue damage or lasting effects.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Copperheads are really pretty snakes. Sometimes they are vividly varigated copper in color.

I too kill poisonous snakes any time they're encountered on our place. I figure any poisonous snake taken out of circulation means there will no prodigy to bite family members, the dog, or me in future. The non-poisonous ones are left alone. We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes, and water moccasins. Of the four the moccasins are most detested.

Why are Moccasins the worst?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Sad. I keep snakes. That thing could have been relocated to a more remote location and served it's purpose in controlling the rat population.
Perhaps. If it could have been done safely, I'm all for relocation to be elsewhere, away from our homes. But not if it couldn't be captured immediately, safely.

Time to go acquire a half dozen king/corn/rat snakes, I'd say. At 5-7ft, the can take on rats and mice in the area, and they'll not threaten people or their animals.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Glad to see you didn't get bit. I generally don't harm snakes when I run across them in the wild. They belong there more than I do, and they service their niche in the ecosystem. But when I encounter them in my yard or campsite I'm a bit less forgiving.

Reactions: perfection
1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.