Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Yep, happened yesterday during our version of your 4th of July.

The story is still breaking, but here's what's been released so far...................

Two B.C. residents charged in an alleged al-Qaeda-inspired terror plot that involved placing pressure cooker bombs at the B.C. legislature in Victoria during Canada Day celebrations, made a brief court appearance in Surrey, B.C. today.

Amanda Marie Korody, 30, and John Stewart Nuttall, 39, both of Surrey, B.C., have each been charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence, knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity and possession of an explosive substance.

They were arrested Monday and are accused of building explosive devices with the "purpose of causing death or serious bodily injuries," which were placed outside the B.C. legislature in Victoria on Canada Day.

RCMP say the contents of the improvised explosive devices included nuts, bolts, nails, washers and other materials intended to kill or maim people.

Police said Korody and Nuttall, both Canadian-born citizens, were "inspired by al-Qaeda ideology" but added the incident has no international links.

At the press conference, police said the pair were self-radicalized and had discussed a wide variety of targets and techniques.

us said Korody appeared twitchy, biting her lips as her eyes darted around the courtroom as she repeatedly tried to make contact with Nuttall during the brief court appearance. She appeared to be about average height and weight, and also had very unkempt hair.

Korody and Nuttall are scheduled to appear in court again next Tuesday.

On the music website Reverbnation, a page that appears to belong to Nuttall has the lines for a song entitled In League With Satan.

"We are possessed by all that is evil. The death of your god we demand. We spit at the virgin you worship. And sit at Lord Satan's left hand," read the lyrics.

Federal Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said the arrests were the result of close work between police and security agencies.

The investigation, dubbed Project Souvenir, was launched in February 2013 and co-ordinated by the RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams, which include investigators from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and Canada Border Services Agency.

"The success of this operation was due to the close collaboration of our security and law enforcement agencies, including CSIS, said Toews in Ottawa on Tuesday afternoon.

"I would like to applaud the RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams — known as INSET — and all of the partners for their outstanding work on this investigation."

More here......Alleged Canada Day bomb plot targeted B.C. legislature - British Columbia - CBC News

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Good job nailing them. I'm not sure what your laws and appropriate punishments are there, but I hope they never see the light of day if convicted.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Man, being post-30 in age is kinda surprising. I associate ideology-based idiocy with a younger cohort.

I guess it takes all types....

·
Premium Member
8,387 Posts
Interesting. This part really popped out at me:

"The investigation, dubbed Project Souvenir, was launched in February 2013 and co-ordinated by the RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams, which include investigators from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and Canada Border Services Agency."

The article was very hard to read because sentences kept repeating themselves, but if I read it right...this was being investigated before April 15th...the day the Boston Marathon bombings occurred, but attempted yesterday.
At first I thought it was a copycat but I guess they were planning it months before Boston.

I hope they never see the light of day again too.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Years ago my mom exploded a pressure cooker in the kitchen,we ate out that night

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Years ago my mom exploded a pressure cooker in the kitchen,we ate out that night
Presto was a good name for those bad boys. :rolf:

Same with the little exploding hot dog zappers that Presto put out in the 1970's, too. Blaaam! (More 'n a few dogs got plastered on the ceiling, in my friend's house, back when. I still smile when I think of that. Presto, change-o, dogs on the windows. )

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
From the article said:
... in an alleged al-Qaeda-inspired terror plot ... 6-3" tall, very thin, with amateurish tattoos, scraggly goatee and long limp hair ... twitchy, biting her lips ... very unkempt hair ...

(apparently enjoys songs like) In League With Satan.

"We are possessed by all that is evil. The death of your god we demand. We spit at the virgin you worship. And sit at Lord Satan's left hand," read the lyrics.

Finding "inspiration" from al-Q, Bielzebub, or the Good Humor man, some folks just shouldn't be in our midst. I imagine a garage-sale pot and ~$20 of rusty nails was about all they could afford for their "jihad." A pretty poor example, for al-Q. Revoked membership, perhaps?

Well, they are apparently manifestly possessed by all that's evil, if the reports are true. They'll have an opportunity to rethink their stupidity. If only they'll take that opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
18,168 Posts
Finding "inspiration" from al-Q, Bielzebub, or the Good Humor man, some folks just shouldn't be in our midst. I imagine a garage-sale pot and ~$20 of rusty nails was about all they could afford for their "jihad." A pretty poor example, for al-Q. Revoked membership, perhaps?

Well, they are apparently manifestly possessed by all that's evil, if the reports are true. They'll have an opportunity to rethink their stupidity. If only they'll take that opportunity.
Hopefully they will have many years to rethink their stupidity. Good on the RCMP for catching them before they injured or killed anyone.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Al-Q loves people like this. No cost, media press, high-expense-to-deal-with, and the opportunity to hurt solidarity.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Am I right to assume that when one is selecting the right pressure cooker for their bomb you want to find the worst quality one that will actually stay together long enough to explode as planned?

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Self-radicalized devil worshippers?

Now there's a shocker (not)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Luckily they got caught before they could set them off. Things become too real when something like this happens in your town.

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
You think Obama will now attempt to require a background check before you can purchase a pressure cooker?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Recent covert to Islam was just turning his life around so he could worship Satan. How many chances do you need before you get it right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts