Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A family member of the shooter is now saying that someone erroneously called in something causing Deputies to go to the shooter's house. She is saying its this person's fault that 2 people are now dead.
Well....no matter,the shooter still did something that was totally unnecessary. The family needs to stop redirecting blame in this. The guy had no cause to shoot a Deputy with a rifle like this as he was approaching to talk with the guy.

As for the trip....
The ceremony was well worth every minute of my 9 hour round trip (not counting driving to meet bmcgilvray for late lunch, more on that later)
There was probably around 200-250 LE personnel that descended on Big Lake Wednesday morning. I met up with 5 LE vehicles at Rankin by chance and met up with more on the highway. This small town was swarming with officers, friends, family, and the people that live there getting ready to pay their respects to this young man.

The church was filled quickly. The funeral service was broadcast to the High School and Middle School for the overflow crowd. Both of these were filled also. There were officers/deputies/troopers/agents, DPS, Border Patrol, Marshalls from all over West Texas and the Hill Country.

LE ceremony was held in the county park afterwards. Had officers lined up in several ranks behind the family's seats. Those of us on Honor Guards were setup to the right in separate ranks.

A road led up to the spot where the casket was to be set. Bagpipes & drums led the hearse flanked by honor guard and the Deputy pallbearers from his office following. He was set on a stand and the rest of his department filed in. A deputy got his K9 "Sherlock" and had him sitting on the road by the hearse. A lone empty-saddled horse was walked along the road and stood by the 2 Sheriff's vehicles parked behind the hearse.

San Angelo Honor Guard was the firing detail....7 shotguns.....about 30 yards behind me....very loud in unison. Texas capital police were on the casket flag and were very, very sharp. You could see the hurt and strain on the Sheriff's face as he tried to not break down when he was handed the folded flag from the Honor Guard leader to give to Mrs. Mitchell. He did break down when the final radio call went out from dispatch for Deputy Mitchell and he announced to retire his badge.
How I managed to not have waterworks running down my face I'll never know.

Someone provided a catered lunch for all the officers that showed up for the ceremony. I never did find out who it was, but it was greatly appreciated by a bunch of sweaty, hot, hungry officers in full uniforms/gear coming in from being in the 90 degree heat for an extended period of time.

I left after meeting (translation BS session) a lot of good guys from all over Texas. I then left for my side trip.....meeting bmcgilvray on here in San Angelo for a late lunch (yeah, I know, had lunch at the ceremony but I got hungry again).
He was waiting at Red Lobster and we had a good time getting to know each other and talking guns, law enforcement, and life. It was a great time, but way too short. We discussed getting a meeting setup with a bunch of us to BS, talk guns,....and shoot guns.

Here are some links to video of the ceremony, etc for those interested.

http://conchovalleyhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=183792
(I'm seen at the 1:04 mark walking right to left over the Chief's right shoulder, the tall good looking one ;))

http://everythinglubbock.com/fulltext?nxd_id=113772

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for attending the services. I´m sure we´ll get to hear how the murderer was molested by his step father as a child and so on...

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
64zebra

This was the most difficult post for me to read since coming to DC. To draw that large of a crowd tells me the Deputy was very well thought of and will be sorely missed by all who knew him. I lost my composure halfway thru reading your account.

NONAME762

1 - 3 of 3 Posts