Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happend to see this Mythbuster Episode concerning how much ground an attacker with a knife can cover before a defender with a gun can sucessfully respond.

I realize that Adam IS racking the slide before he shoots at Jamie and that very few people would carry that way. Certainly not me!
Having said that, I think their test was very revealing at showing just how little time a person would have to draw their weapon and fire when the bad guy comes running fast with a knife from 20 feet away and your life is on the line.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
It is very revealing. So much so that a lot of PDs are extending that distance out to 30ft for their training. Remember, just because the BG is shot does not mean that you are not going to get stabbed....

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Nice video though I would hope most of us could draw and fire twice in the time its taking him to get the slide racked:blink:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Jamie didn't take defensive action other than drawing his gun. Lateral movement might increase the odds. I have done the drill cocked and locked & 20 feet is pretty tough.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Having a gun and all the best training does not guarantee you will come out on top in an encounter, sometimes the dragon wins.
But, he does not have to win everytime.

·
Premium Member
34,299 Posts
Having a gun and all the best training does not guarantee you will come out on top in an encounter, sometimes the dragon wins.
But, he does not have to win everytime.
The best training precludes the stand-and-deliver strategy mandated by the Tueller drill.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Watching it is nothing compared to actually doing it. Find a structured FOF class an learn just what you do or don't know. If nothing else buy two airsoft pistols, face masks and get a buddy, both of you wearing shorts and T-shirt and run the 21 foot drill.

I think you'll learn quick not to get shot. And Yes I've done FOF in short sleeve shirt over t-shirt. My thoughts...you can't learn if you don't know you are taking hits. I've seen guys so padded up you empty our gun on them and they claim "I never got hit once."

Reactions: DRM

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow. That was cool. While the test doesn't cover all senerios it does give you something to ponder. On another note I have not seen this episode before. :(

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
34,299 Posts
Watching it is nothing compared to actually doing it. Find a structured FOF class an learn just what you do or don't know. If nothing else buy two airsoft pistols, face masks and get a buddy, both of you wearing shorts and T-shirt and run the 21 foot drill.

I think you'll learn quick not to get shot. And Yes I've done FOF in short sleeve shirt over t-shirt. My thoughts...you can't learn if you don't know you are taking hits. I've seen guys so padded up you empty our gun on them and they claim "I never got hit once."
I do all my FonF airsoft stuff in a T-shirt, and get hit frequently. For the money I spend on training, I reckon I should try to learn something.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
36,987 Posts
Mythbuster setups are so flawed.

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Mythbusters have created their own mythology and they are it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i can buy a knife that slide onto the rail on my glock and custom make a holster for iwb carry and then i can have a knife and a gun at a gun fight.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Go test this yourself in aggressive Force on Force with training knives, airsoft and a fast attacker. Lube the training knife with lots of lipstick to see the effect. If you find yourself being a little slow, substitute dog poo on the training knife for lipstick.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That's actually not a bad attempt to educate the mass public, and to do it in an entertaining manner.

Overall, though, I think that our own limalife/limatune's YouTube video is much more applicable to a "street" encounter that we as average citizens are likely to see, and more poignantly illustrates just how bad things can go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
The Israelis won't allow carry with a round chambered their troops are all taught to draw rack and fire. I am guessing this is where Jamie got his training. Just a guess on my part.
When I went through advanced weapons training at Pendleton they convinced me first how deadly a knife is and second not to let people get close to you.
There are a lot of photos of knife fight results just google them the pictures are graphic. The one I remember was of a police officer cut on the back.

·
Premium Member
34,299 Posts
That's actually not a bad attempt to educate the mass public, and to do it in an entertaining manner.

Overall, though, I think that our own limalife/limatune's YouTube video is much more applicable to a "street" encounter that we as average citizens are likely to see, and more poignantly illustrates just how bad things can go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY
Great vid. It is noteworthy that comments don't vary much from forum to forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts