Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the laws pertaining to buying a handgun from an individual in N.C.? As I read them as long as the buyer has a permit or CCW an Individual can sell to that person, is that correct?

·
Registered
174 Posts
for private sale, that is all that is required.
I tend to include a Bill of Sale.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What are the laws pertaining to buying a handgun from an individual in N.C.? As I read them as long as the buyer has a permit or CCW an Individual can sell to that person, is that correct?
It's not required for even a private sale, however it is recommended to CYA. If they cannot come up with a permit then they probably arent allowed to have one to begin with. Definitely write up a bill of sale and both sign it also to CYA in case that gun is found used in a crime.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's not required for even a private sale, however it is recommended to CYA. If they cannot come up with a permit then they probably arent allowed to have one to begin with. Definitely write up a bill of sale and both sign it also to CYA in case that gun is found used in a crime.
WRONG ! Please STOP giving out advice unless you know the statute.

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)

·
Registered
473 Posts
WRONG ! Please STOP giving out advice unless you know the statute.

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)
Well i stand corrected SIR, and i havent been giving out bad advice (that im aware of). I called my County Sheriffs Dept years ago and asked them what was required for a private sale and they said nothing, but it is recommended to get the proper permits and BOS. Excuse me.

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
There may also be additional jurisdictional standards such as county or city ordinances that you may want to check. When in doubt, call the NC Attorney Generals Office.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts