Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
updated 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
SOMERVILLE, N.J. - A New Jersey judge says a quadriplegic blocked from buying a gun to go hunting has the right to bear arms even though he will have to use a wheelchair mount to use the firearm.

Manville's police chief had rejected James Cap's application last year, citing safety concerns. The borough attorney says the safety issues could only be resolved by a judge.

A judge ruled Tuesday that the 46-year-old is eligible for a firearms ID, which is required to buy a gun. The judge addressed the safety issues by requiring Cap to have qualified people assist him with weapons.
Cap was an avid hunter as a teenager. He was paralyzed 30 years ago after breaking his neck in a high school football game. He plans to mount the gun on his wheelchair and operate it with a breathing tube.
Could NJ be moving in the right direction.....
Stranger things have happened!

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Did 2A say not if you're handicapped?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Playing devil's advocate here...What about a blind person?

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I seem to remember a blind or legally blind person that applied for and recieved a concealed carry permit just to show it could be done.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thats pretty cool

·
Registered
125 Posts
there's also a vote underneath concerning whether quad's should be allowed guns; so far, 80% say yes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sure hope that all parties remember that safety is still paramount. He should still follow the 4 safety rules, albeit modified in some way. He is now an ambassador to the disabled and we should hope that all participants are taking the necessary precautions. That being said, I think it's just fantastic and I applaud his persistence and the judge's wise decision.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Why not? He certainly won't be making any 50ft shots, but if a blind person is attacked, there is no reason they can't defend himself point blank.

50 - 50 chance the barrel and butt are pointing the wrong direction (backwards).
:scruntiny:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember reading about a blind shooter. One thing to remember is that there is a difference between legaly blind and being totally blind.

·
Registered
500 Posts
And at any rate, there are no exclusions from civil liberties based on any handicap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
a little bit ironic. nothing against him owning a gun or anything. i understand how he can operate a gun with a breathing tube... but, i just don't see how he is gonna hunt in a wheel chair.... then again i don't hunt or claim to know anything about it so maybe there is a way and i just don't see it...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not exactly an "Apples to Apples" comparison is it? Physically limited or without vision?

·
Registered
231 Posts
a little bit ironic. nothing against him owning a gun or anything. i understand how he can operate a gun with a breathing tube... but, i just don't see how he is gonna hunt in a wheel chair.... then again i don't hunt or claim to know anything about it so maybe there is a way and i just don't see it...
My brother has been to Africa twice, Wyoming, Texas, Mexico and several mid western states hunting from a chair and is tough, patient and an incredible marksman.... all from a chair, and contends that he is a lot less handicapped than the majority of the general public! I respectfully agree! God Bless..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
This is exactly the point! The hunting is up to him to accomplish, not to you to dismiss as impossible. He has the right to aspire to the challenge and the right to own a firearm. It is situations such as this that necessitate creativity, vision, and perseverance -- attributes that Americans have been known for -- and precisely the opposite of what you have expressed.

You must live in constant amazement that man has flown to the moon and back? :tongue:

·
Registered
139 Posts
oh, i didn't dismiss as impossible. it would be very easy to have a helping hand from a hunting buddy.. but if he found an efficient way to do it by himself, i applaud him for his innovation and inventiveness.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts