Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=7468

Monday, April 10, 2006

Fairfax, VA—Law-abiding citizens of New Orleans who were forced to relinquish their legally owned firearms to the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) will have to wait, indefinitely, to regain their property. The City of New Orleans revealed they have not returned any firearms, as Mayor Ray Nagin and the city have yet to set up a return process.

“Mayor Ray Nagin continues to deny freedom by denying lawful citizens their Second Amendment rights,” stated National Rifle Association (NRA) Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. “First, he confiscates law-abiding citizens’ firearms and lies about it. Then, he fails to comply with court orders. Now he refuses to return the legally owned firearms to their rightful owners by dragging his feet. It’s a disgrace.”

After denying the illegal confiscation for months, on March 15, 2006, Mayor Nagin and the NOPD conceded in federal court that they do have seized guns stored in locked steel containers. The city then agreed in court to a process by which law-abiding citizens may file a claim to receive their confiscated firearms.

However, a New Orleans official handling the gun confiscations stated that no guns have been returned because the NOPD requires background checks, and the city has not set up a process. The official acknowledged, “We've been told it was going to happen weeks ago…and still hasn't been done.”

Chris W. Cox, NRA’s chief lobbyist, stated, “During a time of chaos and lawlessness, Ray Nagin took away the only means of protection law-abiding citizens had, and by delaying necessary and appropriate action to right this wrong, he blatantly continues to disrespect New Orleans citizens. The Mayor’s contempt of court, his contempt of the Second Amendment, and his disrespect of the law-abiding gun owners of New Orleans is shameful.”

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
It's disgusting and shameful. The man is so twisted about, I think he has alienated all of the citizens of that city in the aftermath with his comments and actions. Too bad filing a lawsuit would only hurt the already abused citizens of that city.

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Somehow I doubt that those that turned weapons in will ever see them again. Makes you wonder what has really happened to them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ray Nagin...

Self-serving *******...

What a "leader"..."His" city is getting creamed, and he high-tails it out to Texas...

Pathetic

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I feel that the weapons are already in the hands of others. If I was to take a guess,I'd say the cops. The NOPD have already shown their colors.They will magically turn up "missing". Very sad!! -----

·
Registered
115 Posts
They should lock him up until the weapons are returned - kinda like the old debtors prison idea. I think that would light a fire under him to stop dragging his feet

·
Registered
57 Posts
"After denying the illegal confiscation for months, on March 15, 2006, Mayor Nagin and the NOPD conceded in federal court that they do have seized guns stored in locked steel containers. The city then agreed in court to a process by which law-abiding citizens may file a claim to receive their confiscated firearms"

After being stored in the locked steel containers for this amount of time, they will be mostly ruined. I think he is getting exactly what he wants, dis-armed citizens.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Witherspoon said:
After being stored in the locked steel containers for this amount of time, they will be mostly ruined. I think he is getting exactly what he wants, dis-armed citizens.
+1 to that. Take 1 flooded area+one steel container+and a handful of mishandled guns=1 pile of rust. Makes me ill thinking about it.

·
Super Moderator
23,557 Posts
CopperKnight said:
It's disgusting and shameful. The man is so twisted about, I think he has alienated all of the citizens of that city in the aftermath with his comments and actions.
Ditto on that. He'll probably get to be a Key Note speaker in a couple of years! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Wait a minute. Remember Mayor Marion Berry(of the hidden camera, cocain/pro's, fame). After all that "proof" he was reelected. As with this,in NOLA anything can happen. The voters NEVER fail to a amaze me. --------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on this Nagin fiasco -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 13, No. 15 04/14/06

States with updates this issue: Arizona, Connecticut, Indiana, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, and West Virginia.

ONCE AGAIN, MAYOR NAGIN SHAMLESSLY
DISREGARDS GUN OWNERS' RIGHTS

Law-abiding citizens of New Orleans who were forced to relinquish their
legally owned firearms to the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) will
have to wait, indefinitely, to regain their property. New Orleans
officials revealed they have not returned any firearms, as Mayor Ray
Nagin and the city have yet to set up a return process.

"Mayor Ray Nagin continues to deny freedom by denying lawful citizens
their Second Amendment rights," stated NRA Executive Vice President
Wayne LaPierre. "First, he confiscates law-abiding citizens' firearms
and lies about it. Then, he fails to comply with court orders. Now he
refuses to return the legally owned firearms to their rightful owners by
dragging his feet. It's a disgrace."

After denying the illegal confiscation for months, on March 15, 2006,
Mayor Nagin and the NOPD conceded in federal court that they do have
seized guns stored in locked steel containers. The city then agreed in
court to a process by which law-abiding citizens may file a claim to
receive their confiscated firearms.

However, a New Orleans official handling the gun confiscations stated
that no guns have been returned because the NOPD requires background
checks, and the city has not set up a process. The official
acknowledged, "We've been told it was going to happen weeks ago.and
still hasn't been done."

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox stated, "During a time of chaos
and lawlessness, Ray Nagin took away the only means of protection
law-abiding citizens had, and by delaying necessary and appropriate
action to right this wrong, he blatantly continues to disrespect New
Orleans citizens. The Mayor's contempt of court, his contempt of the
Second Amendment, and his disrespect of the law-abiding gun owners of
New Orleans is shameful."

NRA ANNOUNCES NEW ORLEANS TOWN HALL MEETING!

NRA will be holding a special Town Hall Meeting in New Orleans next week
to spotlight and document the plight of the city's law abiding
residents, who were forced to surrender their legally owned firearms in
the chaotic aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Residents who were victims of this injustice are encouraged to attend
the meeting and share their stories. This is an opportunity to tell NRA
what the City of New Orleans did to trample your Second Amendment rights
when you needed them most.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, and NRA-ILA Executive
Director Chris W. Cox will host the Town Hall Meeting. Be sure to come
out and tell them your story.

The Meeting will take place on Tuesday, April 18, at 7:00 p.m., at the
New Orleans Marriott Hotel, Salons D & E, 555 Canal Street, New Orleans.
For more information please call (877) 292-3637. Parking and
admission are free. We hope to see you there!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
...they want to run background checks on cititzens who's property was illegally confiscated?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I feel Ray Nagin's political ship is sinking after his bungling (and retreat to Texas during the storm) of the whole Katrina thing, and especially this...

But, alas, like every famous loser, he'll "write a book, appear on talk shows, and retire comfortably...

:aargh4:

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
This mayor is a cry baby and a classic democrat in action looking
for big brother to solve all his problems and to place blame when
he blunders!I glad he in the south ;we would not put up with his style
of leadership where I live.In time of crisises why does the goverment think it has the ability to break the law?I would hide my guns before handing them over!Like any situation strong always prey on the weak.This guy a joker and could not lead anywhere else!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
My wife has a cousin who's husband is a Saint Tammany Parish Sheriff's Deputy. I saw this guy over Christmas. He's a good guy, liked him from the moment I first met him years ago. VERY pro-gun it always seemd to me. I asked him about the grab. Coulda knocked me over with a feather when he told me that he and his guys were confiscating guns ...but only from vehicles and boats trying to get in or out of the city of N.O. As if that made a difference. He argued further that I didn't know what it was like for a cop to be on the edge of a war zone and not knowing if the guys in the car were just going to open up or not. He claimed to have regularly stopped and grabbed carolads and boatloads of weapons....AND THEN when I ask him what HE would have done if BATF (or whomever) had come to HIS home after his weapons? Oh that'd be a MASSIVE firefight! He was getting pretty defensive and loud at a family gathering, so I just dropped the issue. But DANG! You just never know.

Which got me to pondering, sure there are a lot of pro 2nd Amendment cops out there. But how many would refuse a direct order from a superior or a ranking politician to go forth and grab guns? Let's say that the GOP is swept from office (Oval and Congress) in 2008. Hillary and company get into power. They run rampant and a gun ban passes. Chuckie Schumer's and Slimestein's wet dream....Mr & Mrs America...TURN THEM ALL IN! Just like Slimestein said on CNN a few years ago. The word goes forth to the states, the state governments pass the word to the locals. Yada Yada Yada. The Chief looks at Deputy Dawg and says: Your neighbor down yonder has a great collection of Trap & Skeet guns. Go get 'em. ???? WTF? Over? Coming in broken and stupid, over?

What happens now? Does Deputy Dawg tell his chief to go PI$$ up a rope? Or does he contemplate that he's only a few years from full retirement? And who's gonna take care of his family while he's in the federal pen getting killed by the cons for being a cop? And won't the next cop only do the deed anyway??? These are valid questions WE better start addressing. Because it's only a matter of time before we find out....the hard way.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
What happens now? Does Deputy Dawg tell his chief to go PI$$ up a rope? Or does he contemplate that he's only a few years from full retirement? And who's gonna take care of his family while he's in the federal pen getting killed by the cons for being a cop? And won't the next cop only do the deed anyway??? These are valid questions WE better start addressing. Because it's only a matter of time before we find out....the hard way.
Valid questions, but ones that can be only answered by the individual person, when it happens. There are a lot of things which you can't know how you yourself will react ahead of time no matter how deep in your own soul you dig. These questions (when considering the ramifications (retirement, job, federal jail, etc)) are some that many people can't answer ahead of time because they don't believe deeply enough in the principles; and when the time comes, their own needs may outweigh the moral consequences.

From my short time here I can tell that there are many officers on this forum that will not have the moral torment trying to decide what to do. That said, I doubt there are many that would bet against me if I was to say we here (I'm not an officer, by the way) are in the minority to have such strong feelings about this.

Hopefully that makes sense and I haven't offended anyone. I am aware we each hold differing values about many things, but one thing I believe we have in common (I am assuming by our association with this great forum) is the deeply held belief that the Second Amendment is necessary to live free.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
yoshi said:
They should lock him up until the weapons are returned - kinda like the old debtors prison idea. I think that would light a fire under him to stop dragging his feet
Should put him away for: Contempt of court, let him stay in jail until every gun returned. :dead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts