Votes: 10 5.7%
  • As much of the US as I can

Votes: 67 38.5%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without diving into your personal lives, I was wondering who carries a permit for where they live, where they travel, or for as much of the nation as they can. Obviously, we all have non-gun friendly states we try to avoid, but I find myself wanting to obtain a permit for as much of the United States as I can. The reason being in case of travel for business, vacation, and some times termporary duty away from my present duty station. So I attached a poll to find out who: Carries a permit just for where they live, where business/vacation often takes them, and for as much of the US as you can. Trying to find out if I'm the crazy one or if I'm just joining the club! Lol

-Kyle

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Without diving into your personal lives, I was wondering who carries a permit for where they live, where they travel, or for as much of the nation as they can.
I do.

My home state, states I travel to, with the rare exception of a couple states I end up in where my CHL and OC is verboten.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The two that are most-often obtained for that purpose are Utah and Florida. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. A great place to research these and others is Handgunlaw.us.
I've got my Az one, non-resident, but that pretty much covers my preferred travel routes from west to east coast and the majority of places I like to/would like to vacation at.

·
Registered
36,934 Posts
I obtained my CWFL for where I live. Fortunately, it also covers any state I'm likely to visit. Anywhere else is pure gravy.

Reactions: Ghost1958

·
Super Moderator
17,056 Posts
Our North Carolina permit is good in over 30 states and covers anywhere I want to go and even some places I have no desire to go.

Reactions: PatAz and Ghost1958

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I obtained mine from NC where I reside. That covers me most places I travel (excluding other countries). My HR 218 (for retired LEO's) covers me most other places although with that permit I have to carry a semi-auto because thats what I qualified with.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Hard to answer with the limited choices given. I have my permit from my home state. It also covers where I work as well as where I vacation/travel to. As for work travel, I don't. Not many places a warehouse manager travels for work.

PS: My TDY days ended 19 years ago when I retired from the military.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Without diving into your personal lives, I was wondering who carries a permit for where they live, where they travel, or for as much of the nation as they can. Obviously, we all have non-gun friendly states we try to avoid, but I find myself wanting to obtain a permit for as much of the United States as I can. The reason being in case of travel for business, vacation, and some times termporary duty away from my present duty station. So I attached a poll to find out who: Carries a permit just for where they live, where business/vacation often takes them, and for as much of the US as you can. Trying to find out if I'm the crazy one or if I'm just joining the club! Lol

-Kyle
I'm assuming when you go TDY you travel by private conveyance and reside off the base while there?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I avoid long-distance travel as much as I can. When I MUST go visit relatives (in-laws) it's in California so I'm screwed no matter what permit I have. There are enough folks at work that volunteer for TDY that I never have to go anywhere for that. If I did it would be San Diego, Pearl, or Yokosuka, so I would still be screwed.

So I've not had much interest in getting any other permit than WA.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have both my state's permit, and the Utah non-resident permit. The latter I got so that I could carry in Ohio...we have family there and travel there at times. Actually, I wish they had a "national" carry permit, but am a bit afraid it would turn into some kind of registration scheme under this administration.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,755 Posts
I have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License and a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit that cover me in most of my travels. Nothing works in California. I was going to add an Arizona permit, but Nevada dropped them as a reciprocal state. Florida doesn't add anything for me.

·
Premium Member
34,296 Posts
I was an interstate trucker for the first several years I carried, so I got non-resident permits to cover all the states available, except Connecticut and Maine. Since I can't get to either of them without going through prohibited states, I never bothered getting permits for either of them.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My state along with Arizona. It opens up a few critical states for me where family and friends live.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I will work to get as many permits and states as possible . I travel alot on vacation and at times work . My permits will overlap a bit as well just in case the states change who they reconize . Maybe 43 states or so

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
My state of residence gives me choice #2 and 3. Can't get the last 11 states without being a resident there. That is a step backwards.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My state license is good most everywhereI go, minus California and Oregon. I do like the idea of being able to carry EVERYWHERE I go but I am more emphatic about individual state rights. Just my $.02...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 60 Posts