Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Having grown up in RI, in a small coastal town, with a large number of the summer residents, I can understand a little bit how the Rhodies are thinking. While in College I was in the RIARNG and also a reserve officer for the Westerly PD, working full time during the summers. Most of the out of staters properties are in the beach towns.

1. NY is a hotspot for the virus
2. Most of these small towns are not equipped to handle this level of emergency.

My town for instance (Westerly, RI) had a winter population of under 20K, which doubles in the summer. Our local hospital has something like 125 beds (friend of mine back home is a nurse there).

I suspect that just like other vacation hotspots here's a little bit of class warfare going on. My home town for instance was like a miniature Newport RI, lots of "old" money, complete with summer houses that are mansions by normal standards with maids, staffs, large yachts, etc. There's already the normal amount of animosity for the summer folks, due to increased traffic, summer prices etc.

Add to it coming early and possibly bringing the virus with them.....There's similar reactions being observed in other locales that are host to large numbers of seasonal residents.
We have the same kind of hostility here. Summer people are treating this as a vacation! The summer people are even Carping that their sumer maid service won't come and clean for them! DR

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
We need to seek out a reliable source for signs proclaiming our property is MINED - such as @OldVet uses to keep the miscreants at bay. :embarassed:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
We have the same kind of hostility here. Summer people are treating this as a vacation! The summer people are even Carping that their sumer maid service won't come and clean for them! DR
Looks like it's catching on:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tourist-towns-say-please-stay-away-during-coronavirus-lockdowns-11586165401

From Sedona, Ariz., to the Florida Keys, tourist spots across the country are trying to figure out ways to keep outsiders from bringing the new coronavirus with them. In some cases, that means taking aggressive steps like banning people who own second homes from their own property. In other cases, it means shutting down key access points. Full-time residents in these communities say their health-care systems weren’t built to handle pandemics and shutting out visitors is the only way to avoid disaster.

·
Registered
34,523 Posts
We need to seek out a reliable source for signs proclaiming our property is MINED - such as @OldVet uses to keep the miscreants at bay. :embarassed:
I have a few extras. I'll include a couple in your Christmas card.

OIP (4).jpg

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Regarding the Providence of Rhode Island, it’s considered a sanctuary place for illegals, how would this be handled if the Guard comes up on a home full of illegal people with a NY license plate on the vehicle in the driveway?

Reactions: Redbert31

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I cannot give much credibility to some ditzy Youtuber. Like Maas says, "Don't answer the door."
But, but what if they kick the door in?

Reactions: Redbert31

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I have a few questions.

I am assuming these jackbooted [enter your preferred label] may want to enter your home if you live in Rhode Island. So what happens if you inform them they cannot enter without a search warrant?

What may happen if you answer your door with long gun in hand and a handgun on your side? How might they like that?

What might happen if you just don't answer the door?

What might happen if you tell them you will not answer any questions without your attorney present?
Maybe someone will be brave enough to find out.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Oh, I can see this happening in CA! We already stop cars for "Fruit Inspections". The other states just haven't used them yet to keep Californians in!
CA also stops and tickets cars with out of state plates! If you are working , or living in ca you must have CA plates and a CA license! There are some exceptions, But you are going to get stopped! Collage towns, around Military bases, and border areas, this is very common! DR
Last time I checked, Wyoming required you to apply for a Wyoming plate on the very first day you arrive in Wyoming to work or live there. As for California, I drove through the state over a couple of days back in the late 80's with Wyoming plates and was never stopped. I vaguely remember getting stopped going from California to Arizona for fruit inspection and another place by the U.S. border patrol in Arizona. Good thing we don't need passports, yet.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
You obviously are not familiar with her. She has a unique style, but she has been a credible source of libertarian and pro-gun content for six years. FWIW, she is a licensed psychological counselor as a day job.

Also, what she was reporting is easily verified as true through major news sources. I thought her video told the story better than other stuff I found.
And she's good looking too.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
How long before the criminal element figures out that LEO's aren't in their usual neighborhoods? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

I'm on the edge of the at risk group, so the wife and I would've tried to stay put regardless. But the reactions by "all" of the powers to be makes me more uneasy than the virus.

I think Trump had it right on his first response, then the TDS/MSM went BSC and he was forced to take this path or risk all he has attained so far.

Remember Bill Mahr and other Never Trumpers were rooting for a recession just a few months ago to be rid of Trump. Can we really trust their reactions to anything at this point?
Just like the press bashed him for not taking a virus test and then they bashed him for taking the test. Go figure......

·
Registered
34,523 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
An over reaction by anyone is possible under such circumstances. A house holder thinking they are defending their home & family or a Guardsman sensing a threat. Or neighbors getting carried away in the moment. Unfortunately all of it is human nature. Be careful out there folks. And I urge those enforcing edicts to be especially careful. We still have to live with one another when this has passed.

·
Premium Member
33,872 Posts
Coming soon to a may-issue state near you. Be patient, it won't be much longer.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
9/11 was a day where people went to work like normal and thousands of people were murdered because of our freedoms. We have since chipped away at those freedoms. The terrorists won. This is not the same as a virus and the comparisons are absolutely ridiculous. However, if people are so dead set on making them to compare body counts, We lose more people every year to the flu than we have on 9/11, at Pearl Harbor, in Iraq, and Afghanistan put together.
The flu is a yearly fact of life, has been for many generations, and is dealt with yearly as well as it can be. It is not an emergency. COVID-19 is new, uncontrolled, spreading quickly, and killing a lot more people. It is an emergency.

Comparing flu to COVID, and expecting government to respond to them in the same way, is what's ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Last time I checked, Wyoming required you to apply for a Wyoming plate on the very first day you arrive in Wyoming to work or live there. As for California, I drove through the state over a couple of days back in the late 80's with Wyoming plates and was never stopped. I vaguely remember getting stopped going from California to Arizona for fruit inspection and another place by the U.S. border patrol in Arizona. Good thing we don't need passports, yet.
Wyoming gives you a full year to change a plate or a drivers license because it takes a full year to become a resident. I still have the permanent plates from Montana on my truck and trailer and we moved here last July.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
The flu is a yearly fact of life, has been for many generations, and is dealt with yearly as well as it can be. It is not an emergency. COVID-19 is new, uncontrolled, spreading quickly, and killing a lot more people. It is an emergency.

Comparing flu to COVID, and expecting government to respond to them in the same way, is what's ridiculous.
COVID-19 will be a yearly fact of life, just like H1N1(which started out just like this) is. This is not killing more people than the flu. We are a LONG way from reaching the point where it has hospitalized and killed more than the flu, and as time goes on, it looks more and more likely like we will get through this better than we have with recent flu seasons. We can stop the doomsday talk now. We are past the point where any of those models are worth considering.

·
Premium Member
3,821 Posts
Saw in interview with some jerk from WHO who was saying that it may come down to forcibly removing family members from peoples homes due to the big transfer of virus is from family members.
Acted like it was no big deal sending armed authorities to your home to take your kids away.
That will be my line in the sand.
I will defend my family against that with any means at my disposal, if y’all get my meaning.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts