Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
People are overreacting, I’m mostly talking about people on TV and in the news but have seen It elsewhere. Politicians are also overreacting IMO.

WHO to me will always be a rock band, nothing more. I don’t have any business with whomever WHO is and yeah I know what your talking about but those people, well, I don’t listen to them cause they ain’t Christian to put it bluntly. (WHO the gubment not the band)

And on that note, I’m gonna listen to some reggae music and have a beer, yes, yes it will be a Corona.. 🎶 mu mu mu my Corona :danceban:

Reactions: Redbert31

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Regarding comparisons between 9/11, COVID-19, and H1N1, these are all different but in some aspects the same. One of the similar aspects is a general belief among the American population that our government should have a significant role in protecting the public against these things.

After 9/11 we ended up with a brand new Executive branch department (DHS) and serious constraints on personal liberty for the appearance of security (eg. TSA airport screening, Patriot Act, etc.).

What are we going to end up with after COVID-19? The economy has been dealt a harsh blow, people are panicked, and the masses are going to ask Big Brother to do something about it. The things that could be sold to the public in this time of panic are scary. New federal department? New taxes? New medical security theater?

In the meantime my team in the 5-sided squirrel cage is working on waterfall austerity plans for if/when the DoD budget gets clobbered and our budget is cut drastically. Manpower is also a huge expense so I wouldn't be surprised if military end-strength is forced to drop, which changes the calculations of how many squadrons I can sustain and at what size, training pipelines, deployment rates, etc. We'll make the most of what we can, but I know we're again going to ask more of our airmen and troops than we should, and like always, they're somehow still going to make us proud. This is what keeps me awake at night (literally, 4 hours of sleep the past 2 nights while poring over the daily work of my team.. dang, they make me proud).

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Regarding comparisons between 9/11, COVID-19, and H1N1, these are all different but in some aspects the same. One of the similar aspects is a general belief among the American population that our government should have a significant role in protecting the public against these things.

After 9/11 we ended up with a brand new Executive branch department (DHS) and serious constraints on personal liberty for the appearance of security (eg. TSA airport screening, Patriot Act, etc.).

What are we going to end up with after COVID-19? The economy has been dealt a harsh blow, people are panicked, and the masses are going to ask Big Brother to do something about it. The things that could be sold to the public in this time of panic are scary. New federal department? New taxes? New medical security theater?

In the meantime my team in the 5-sided squirrel cage is working on waterfall austerity plans for if/when the DoD budget gets clobbered and our budget is cut drastically. Manpower is also a huge expense so I wouldn't be surprised if military end-strength is forced to drop, which changes the calculations of how many squadrons I can sustain and at what size, training pipelines, deployment rates, etc. We'll make the most of what we can, but I know we're again going to ask more of our airmen and troops than we should, and like always, they're somehow still going to make us proud. This is what keeps me awake at night (literally, 4 hours of sleep the past 2 nights while poring over the daily work of my team.. dang, they make me proud).
Thank you for your efforts at looking down the road.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
COVID-19 will be a yearly fact of life, just like H1N1(which started out just like this) is. This is not killing more people than the flu. We are a LONG way from reaching the point where it has hospitalized and killed more than the flu, and as time goes on, it looks more and more likely like we will get through this better than we have with recent flu seasons. We can stop the doomsday talk now. We are past the point where any of those models are worth considering.
The worst week of the last six flu seasons killed 1,626 Americans. COVID-19 has killed 1,529 so far today, while deaths per day continues to increase and the disease continues to spread. We don't need models any more to tell us it's a crisis.

Reactions: Redbert31 and OD*

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
A house divided will not stand.

Reactions: OD* and Redbert31

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Yes, thanks Graydude!

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Reactions: Redbert31

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
The worst week of the last six flu seasons killed 1,626 Americans. COVID-19 has killed 1,529 so far today, while deaths per day continues to increase and the disease continues to spread. We don't need models any more to tell us it's a crisis.
That’s about as logical as being perfectly fine with all the handgun and knife murders that occur in the country, but kicking and screaming about how dangerous it is because of one mass murder committed with an AR15. When all is said and done, more people are dying of the flu than COVID. 80,000 is more than 10,000 no matter what. There are 365 days in a year. I’m not going to base my opinion on just one of them.

Reactions: retired badge 1

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
COVID-19 will be a yearly fact of life, just like H1N1(which started out just like this) is. This is not killing more people than the flu. We are a LONG way from reaching the point where it has hospitalized and killed more than the flu, and as time goes on, it looks more and more likely like we will get through this better than we have with recent flu seasons. We can stop the doomsday talk now. We are past the point where any of those models are worth considering.
At some point we will be able to review “what actually happened” compared to current opinion or models. I don’t pretend to know at this point. I read an article recently (which I cannot locate at the moment), discussing our current situation relative to deaths in the US from all causes. We lose around 7,500 folks daily in the US from all causes. That amounted to 2.8 million in 2017.

So, put in perspective, ....we’re at about 12,000 total deaths from Covid19, and we are only into this a couple months. That’s a lot of folks, but not huge so far compared to our annual total deaths. No one really knows what the end result is going to be. How serious long term is a whole other thing..... fingers crossed.

Add’l info from 2017: Of the top 10 causes of death, influenza was 8

8. Influenza and pneumonia

• Deaths in 2017: 55,672
  • Percentage of total deaths: 2%

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
If you’d like, I’ll ask the people I know in the medical field, who have been saying that only those in the medical field should have an opinion on the response. I’m sure they all have the solutions to your problems! *sarcasm off*

Good luck with all that! It sucks that you are going to have to feel the pain of the poor decisions made at federal and state levels over the past couple months.

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
At some point we will be able to review “what actually happened” compared to current opinion or models. I don’t pretend to know at this point. I read an article recently (which I cannot locate at the moment), discussing our current situation relative to deaths in the US from all causes. We lose around 7,500 folks daily in the US from all causes. That amounted to 2.8 million in 2017.

So, put in perspective, ....we’re at about 12,000 total deaths from Covid19, and we are only into this a couple months. That’s a lot of folks, but not huge so far compared to our annual total deaths. No one really knows what the end result is going to be. How serious long term is a whole other thing..... fingers crossed.
Well I can tell you this. We are not anywhere close to the original models. Those have all been scrapped long ago now. Even current models are still showing to be an over estimate. Hospitals are not filling up like we’ve been told they would. We aren’t needing the number of ventilators we were told we would. I don’t know what the exact number of deaths will be, but I know that every time someone says I’m wrong and need to take it more seriously, new data comes out showing it to be less bad than previously thought. Some people want so bad to not be wrong that they will ignore that they are clinging to numbers that most people have forgotten were ever considered to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Well I can tell you this. We are not anywhere close to the original models. Those have all been scrapped long ago now. Even current models are still showing to be an over estimate. Hospitals are not filling up like we’ve been told they would. We aren’t needing the number of ventilators we were told we would. I don’t know what the exact number of deaths will be, but I know that every time someone says I’m wrong and need to take it more seriously, new data comes out showing it to be less bad than previously thought. Some people want so bad to not be wrong that they will ignore that they are clinging to numbers that most people have forgotten were ever considered to begin with.
I totally agree with you on that point.....

Reactions: Redbert31 and Havok

·
Registered
7,078 Posts

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
You sure have a rosy outlook, considering that the number of deaths today is already almost 50% higher than yesterday. Where is all this data that makes you so optimistic?

The fact is this thing is just getting rolling. The number of deaths has so far been driven mostly by NY and NJ. It looked like the rate was going to plateau there, but now it's jumping again, and Michigan, Massachusetts and Georgia are just starting to spike.

I sure hope you're right. But it's unlikely.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
@maxwell97 the big cities always have higher death rates. They have a lower hospital to population rate than most of the nation. There is a good reason for that. Too many patients that don't pay the bills so they shut down, or are never built to begin with. It's been that way for as long as I've been alive. The issue is so prevalent it's been a common story line in TV hospital dramas since I was a child in the 80s (and probably longer). What we are seeing is a smaller version of the health care failure in Italy. Not enough infrastructure to handle the needs of the people has easy to see results. In more ways than just with hospital service.

The numbers are minimal when you look at most of the nation. When you look at the larger cities with no means, and I do mean none, of keeping people apart even small outbreaks of health issues are bad. More people die in the large urban cities than outside of them. Even grasping that fact, the total number of people who have died is still not bad. People die every day for one reason or another. I've lost two family members in the past six months. One was 68, the other just missed 60. Both unexpected, and both too soon. One question not being asked, and needs to be thought about, is how many of those that are now gone, would have died anyways? Others have brought that point up as well.

It's like one article written as a rebuttal to the Greg Ellifritz's compiled shooting data brought up. Mr. Ellifritz did a lot of work gathering the data he did. Just as are a lot people in the medical field now are. No one is arguing that people are working hard and gathering data, but what we are witnessing is them not asking all the right questions to get to the right conclusion. Just as Mr. Ellifritz did, and admitted as much at time looking at the data he compiled critically, these scientists are not coming to conclusions that match reality. Thus the numbers keep being revised lower and lower.

The reaction of the government is overblown. Vastly overblown. Especially in democrat controlled areas. What's happening in Rhode Island goes so far beyond any legal bounds it should frighten everyone.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
You sure have a rosy outlook, considering that the number of deaths today is already almost 50% higher than yesterday. Where is all this data that makes you so optimistic?

The fact is this thing is just getting rolling. The number of deaths has so far been driven mostly by NY and NJ. It looked like the rate was going to plateau there, but now it's jumping again, and Michigan, Massachusetts and Georgia are just starting to spike.

I sure hope you're right. But it's unlikely.
Pretty much all data will show what I am saying to some extent. The number of deaths is still high but hospital admissions are dropping. It’s not unlikely that I’ll be right. It’s unlikely that I’ll be wrong. Most of the arguments against my view have never been supported by any real world data. If anything, what I will likely be wrong about is that there may be less deaths than I guessed. What you’re forgetting is that the media wants to put their spin on things. They don’t want to tell you what the data shows, they want to tell you how you should think about it. So many people have been constantly comparing to Italy. Look at Italy’s data across the board on the world meters website and show me what you see that’s consistent with what we are seeing here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
9/11 was a day where people went to work like normal and thousands of people were murdered because of our freedoms. We have since chipped away at those freedoms. The terrorists won. This is not the same as a virus and the comparisons are absolutely ridiculous. However, if people are so dead set on making them to compare body counts, We lose more people every year to the flu than we have on 9/11, at Pearl Harbor, in Iraq, and Afghanistan put together.
You still believe it was “for our freedumb”???

Really?

C’mon, bruh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
You still believe it was “for our freedumb”???

Really?

C’mon, bruh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please, enlighten me.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts