·
Premium Member
36,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: rpflash100

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Unfortunately, once passed (assuming it passes), it will likely be repealed once Democrats control the House, Senate, and Presidency.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Unfortunately, once passed (assuming it passes), it will likely be repealed once Democrats control the House, Senate, and Presidency.
A: That's if they ever control all theee again.
B: Why such a negative outlook right out of the gate?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
A: That's if they ever control all theee again.
B: Why such a negative outlook right out of the gate?
Because I'm old enough to know the pendulum swings both directions (occasionally stopping for a brief respite in the middle). It's not being negative it's being realistic.

·
Premium Member
36,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I'm old enough to know the pendulum swings both directions (occasionally stopping for a brief respite in the middle). It's not being negative it's being realistic.
I like the direction the pendulum has just reversed to.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Let's hope the supreme court does it's job and justifies a person's right to carry a gun in any state. I know this is very unlikely, but not because it isn't justified by the constitution.

It only makes sense that if your issued a driver's license and it's good for all 50 then why not a carry license? You take a road test and a written, and you do a proficiency test with a pistol along with a written test... Common sense isn't so common.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
For a person who travels a lot and who lives in a state with draconian state carry laws, it might be nice to enjoy some freedom.

We just got constitutional carry as of Jan 1. That makes 8 states now.

If you come here, we already honor ALL permits from every other state. We already have it about as good as it gets in MO.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
As the various versions of national reciprocity bills go, I like that this one has teeth in it against those localities that snub their noses at rights of the people.

Reactions: Stoveman

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I am excited about it. Although after a couple months thought I have to agree with the less excited. It needs to have verbiage which makes it all inclusive then sealed by the Supreme Court & forever locked up.

Even then doesn't sit quite exactly right. Is it not a lesser but yet another form of 2A infringement? Just wondering....
Let's do it so the politics are out of it once and for all.

If it is going to be finally done then by Gosh do it right! Not quickly but Right. Just do it right and let's be done!

·
Premium Member
36,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am excited about it. Although after a couple months thought I have to agree with the less excited. It needs to have verbiage which makes it all inclusive then sealed by the Supreme Court & forever locked up.

Even then doesn't sit quite exactly right. Is it not a lesser but yet another form of 2A infringement? Just wondering....
Let's do it so the politics are out of it once and for all.

If it is going to be finally done then by Gosh do it right! Not quickly but Right. Just do it right and let's be done!
I'm all for doing it right. The Ohio legislature's recent clinic on screwing up a half-way decent gun bill with amendments and compromises has confirmed my pessimism about lawmakers in general.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
All a restrictive state has to do is pass more restrictive laws, and make it a pain just to carry in the state.

Example of what I mean might be: 1. only unloaded guns can be carried, 2. only a certain caliber can be carried say 32acp, 3. must have 1,000,000,000$ insurance to carry in our state, etc etc etc.

Some how this must be addressed or the dem-RATS will chew away at the rights of everyone.

Constitutional Carry nation wide might fix this, but it is still a uphill battle.

Reactions: Pijo73 and CalCarry

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Interesting times. If it does pass then it might actually stick. Dear Leader will probably get the chance to pack the court with at least a few wingnuts, and odds are good they'll be pretty hard right.

·
Premium Member
36,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Push back in the form of more severe restrictions within their borders is a very real possibility from some of the may-issues, for sure. I would anticipate more poison pill additions to current restrictions and increases in the penalties for even inadvertent non-compliance. Ohio's transition from no-issue to shall-issue thirteen years ago involved several years, amended bills, vetoes and severe restrictions before finally happening.

Reactions: CalCarry

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The way it seems to be worded now is pretty good. It is not a national permit. It says all other states must recognize each other's permit and says that residents have a right to get a permit from a different state that shall also be honored, which is certainly a necessary work around the may, er, no, issue states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
The way it seems to be worded now is pretty good. It is not a national permit. It says all other states must recognize each other's permit and says that residents have a right to get a permit from a different state that shall also be honored, which is certainly a necessary work around the may, er, no, issue states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It also says that the out-of-State carrier, must abide by the laws of the visiting State.

Forcing States like CA, MD, IL to Honor other State permits will cause them to 1) file suit in Federal Court, 2) pass new restrictive legislation on both the visitor and the resident. 3) The GFSZA.

1) Suing the federal Government will fast track the suit to the Supreme Court. With a Trump SC, we will have a 5-4 Majority. That is very poor odds and there is less than no guarantee that they will rule this law Constitutional.
If the SC rules it Unconstitutional then this issue will be dead forever.

2) These Democrat run States will have no problems passing more restrictive laws to combat Nation Reciprocity.

3) If the Federal Government is going to pass Legislation forcing States to Honor other State Permits, then they better clean their own house first. As of right now it is a felony under the GFSZA to carry on public land within 1000 feet of a school without a State Issued permit. Yet, they are demanding Nation Reciprocity while at the same time making it Illegal within 1000 feet of a school. Do you know how impossible it can be to stay 1000 feet away from a school when driving in a large city? Damn near impossible. ...and you can bet your sweet ass that States like CA, NJ, NY, MD, will pass, if not already on the books, a GFSZA for non-permit holders of their own.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Agreed Steve! (Post #30, above^) It's gonna' be a rat's nest string ball for sure! That's what always concerns me about wide-sweeping (national) reciprocity. Current Kentucky gun laws (in general) & carry laws (specifically) suit me fine right now. IMHO, these nationwide measures invite both scrutiny & input from OTHER states. That could mean "watering-down my home bourbon", and THAT may not be WORTH trading for the right to conceal in states that...I don't wanna' visit ANYway! :hand5:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
While national reciprocity may sound good on the surface, I too worry about restrictions put in place by some of the more anti states for those who carry there. And what judicial decisions could arise out of it as a result?

I can easily understand why some of you in more restrictive states would be in favor of such a plan, but for those of us who are more fortunate in where we live regarding 2A, I don't want any legislative or judicial backsliding against us. As they say, the devil is in the details. I worry about those details.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts