Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Makes perfect sense, in my experience. I personally know a number of either current or retired police officers, and they all, to a man, have applauded my decision to obtain my concealed carry license. They know that I am a law abiding citizen and would not pull it unless it was absolutely 100% necessary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I presume they also overwhelmingly support having a job, so I'm not too worried about them now, but I will be if/when the politicians demand by law that they infringe on people's rights.

·
Super Moderator
23,570 Posts
Virtually all of the survey’s respondents said the “assault-weapons” ban, “a federal ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than ten rounds,” background checks on private transfers of guns, and “a national database tracking all legal gun sales” would either do no good or actually cause harm.
Great article!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Three days ago, I was at a local Walmart looking for a drying towel for my vehicles. When I got back out to my car and got in, a county police officer backed into a parking slot two slots away from my backed in car at the outer rim of the parking lot. As is always the case with me, I openly carry my sidearm when in my vehicles so that I have quicker access to it should the need arise.

Once the officer was stationary in his slot, I got out and walked over to his passenger side and waved to get his attention. When he saw me, he got out of his car and I told him that with all of the bad things that have been going on, I just wanted to thank him for his service to the county and tell him that I supported our police. He thanked me, we talked for a few minutes, and then I left. I'm quite certain he could see my sidearm, which I had not covered when I got out of my car.

This has been the normal behavior of police when I have openly carried in their presence. For 7 ½ years, up until a year and a half ago, I OC’d nearly 100% of the time, but no longer do this. And all during that time, I never had a negative encounter with our police. Quite the contrary, all encounters were very positive and friendly. We are supposed to have a "Night Out" in my area next week and I am thinking about OC'ing to that event, but probably won't. Who knows... I might just do it anyway.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
770 Posts
I spent 30 years in the NYPD, working to protect the rights of citizens. I'm a member of this and several other gun owner forums. I am a Life Member of the NRA, as are many of my former LE colleagues. The conclusions reached in the National Review article come as no surprise to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
I presume they also overwhelmingly support having a job, so I'm not too worried about them now, but I will be if/when the politicians demand by law that they infringe on people's rights.
You know nothing of which you speak. If you violate someones rights under color of law that is serious civil rights violation. Every LEO has taken an oath to uphold the constitution, not just when it is convenient.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was talking to a guy who was open carrying at a store in town. He told me one of the county judges came up to him and said he wished more people would open carry.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
meh. Ill be more inclined to believe it when police dont want to disarm everyone that they stop, harass everyone who open carries, whether long gun or hand gun, etc.

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
You know nothing of which you speak. If you violate someones rights under color of law that is serious civil rights violation. Every LEO has taken an oath to uphold the constitution, not just when it is convenient.
I hope that was meant sarcastically. If not, I gotta throw the BS flag. The NRA says that there are over 30,000 infringements to 2A of various kinds across this country. Most of those are enforced by LEOs. I don't mean this to be anti-police at all, just taking a reality check. Apparently their oath has not stopped them with those 30,000 infringements. Certainly cops in the really bad gun states, like HI, NJ, MA, etc. have no problem enforcing 2A infringements, making felons out of honest gun owners.

The open question is not whether the police violate people's 2A (and other) rights. The question is how far would they go? I think when push comes to shove that will vary from place to place and officer to officer.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The open question is not whether the police violate people's 2A (and other) rights. The question is how far would they go? I think when push comes to shove that will vary from place to place and officer to officer.
Well we know for certain in Louisiana they will confiscate your guns.

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
meh. Ill be more inclined to believe it when police dont want to disarm everyone that they stop, harass everyone who open carries, whether long gun or hand gun, etc.
I guess that would depend on where you live. And your demeanor. And your attitude. And the way you look.

Some people never figure that out.

FWIW, where I am at, you don't get disarmed or harassed by the cops unless you initiate it.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
San Francisco PD even turns on their own colleages for something legal in most places. Too bad we decent citizens can't show the same support for the rights of LEO's as they show for us. What injury to society have the legislators and criminal justice system averted? They've just tarnished a good badge.
18-yr SF Cop is in custody on two felony counts for building and possessing an evil black rifle.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Only problem is, they don't make the rules.

Reactions: LuketheDrifter

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wish the rank-and-file would stop voting for anti-gun union officials in the Ohio FOP which has a long history of opposing pro-gun bills in Ohio.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I have always said that most all rank & file Cops are pro-2nd Am. It is the few vocal liberal left politicians/ police administrators that create the myth that law enforcement is anti 2nd Am and the liberal media plays on that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It’s their rights too and who would want to give up their rights? Ok, maybe don’t answer that..

If you have dedicated your professional career to law and order and have sworn an oath then protecting our constitution or at least having respect for it should be a top priority, as it should for EVERYONE. IMO, if they, or anyone really doesn't support 2A then they are a disgrace to this country and what it stands for.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
I hope that was meant sarcastically. If not, I gotta throw the BS flag. The NRA says that there are over 30,000 infringements to 2A of various kinds across this country. Most of those are enforced by LEOs. I don't mean this to be anti-police at all, just taking a reality check. Apparently their oath has not stopped them with those 30,000 infringements. Certainly cops in the really bad gun states, like HI, NJ, MA, etc. have no problem enforcing 2A infringements, making felons out of honest gun owners.

I have no experience in the places you have mentioned, never even been there. There is a remedy for laws that are unconstitutional. I have no sympathy for people who live in these places and repeatedly vote in progressive politicians.

I certainly agree that these actions are atrocious, let us not paint everyone with the same brush.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts