Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight while I was checking a Nevada "open carry" forum I discovered a question that I could not answer with any degree of certainty whatsoever. Any help on your part would be greatly appreciated.

The question involved the current law on Native American (aka Indian) gun law in the state of Nevada. I "googled" Native American Gun law and the only reference I could find was a forum posting in 2004.

According to the posting by the local member in the Las Vegas area, the poster believes that he WILL be entering into Native American land. He does not know what the law is regarding firearms.

I'm looking for ANY suggestions to give this forum poster a even some basic firearms law on tribal lands. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did trying to locate tribal gun laws.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tribal lands are considered sovereign and you need to check with the tribal authorities about what their specific laws are regarding firearms. I believe (and IANAL) that Federal Peaceable Journey laws apply in transporting firearms on roads that pass through Native American lands.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sovereign Land

Tribal lands are considered sovereign and you need to check with the tribal authorities about what their specific laws are regarding firearms. I believe (and IANAL) that Federal Peaceable Journey laws apply in transporting firearms on roads that pass through Native American lands.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
That thought did cross my mind this when I read this members initial posting. The last thing I want to do is even suggest ANY advice that might get this member is any potential illegal issues.

If I knew what Tribe was the authority on that sovereign nation I would suggest that they contact that nation for the particulars on firearm laws on that Native American land.

Thanks for your suggestion!

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
You do have the right to travel through (peaceable journey) indian reservations, but don't stop...for anything...this will keep you out of difficulties.
Laws about firearms vary from tribe to tribe and you do have to contact each specific tribe to find out their specific laws, but driving through is safe as long as you stay on the main (state/fed) road...no sight seeing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You do have the right to travel through (peaceable journey) indian reservations, but don't stop...for anything...this will keep you out of difficulties.
Laws about firearms vary from tribe to tribe and you do have to contact each specific tribe to find out their specific laws, but driving through is safe as long as you stay on the main (state/fed) road...no sight seeing.
Yep

Thats how it is in OK.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Here the Paiutes have a sign as you enter the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation that clearly says "NO GUNS"! I do believe they mean it too!

In their on-line visitors information hand out it says:

Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation
26.1 FIREARMS. No firearms are permitted to be transported by non-Tribal members onto the Reservation or possessed or used by non-Tribal members within the exterior boundaries of the Reservation. Special Permits Request can only be approved by Tribal Council.

I'm sure you can find that information on line down south as I did up north! :hand10:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts