Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a can of worms this opens up if the reporting is accurate. I guess the next legal can of worms is whether you can wear a mask and conceal carry. The article raises more questions than it answers.
------

Under normal circumstances, it is against the law to carry a gun while wearing a mask. However, that law is being suspended until February 2021.

The Nash County sheriff’s office has been getting many calls lately from people wondering what the rules are.

According to the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office, if you have a valid concealed carry handgun permit, it is legal to carry a concealed handgun while wearing a mask, so long as you're wearing the mask to protect yourself or others from COVID-19.

The Nash County Sheriff’s Office announced on social media that it will not be enforcing face coverings.

"I’ve got much more to worry about," Nash County sheriff Keith Stone said. "We obviously want people to social distance. If you want to wear a mask that is absolutely fine."

While we were at the sheriff’s office, Greg, who doesn’t want his last name used, stopped by to get his permit to purchase firearms.

“I like staying protected, also protecting my home and my family,” Greg, said.

He says the pandemic should not get in the way of his second amendment rights.

“I feel like it’s just like wearing this mask," he said. "You want to keep yourself safe and you want to keep your home and your family safe."

Stone says his only concern is the safety of residents in Nash County.

“We’re not out patrolling looking for people with masks on," Stone said. "What we’re doing is the same thing we did before this epidemic, is fight gangs, guns and drugs."

If you’re wearing a mask and legally carrying a gun, you must remove the mask when asked to do so by law enforcement during a traffic stop, license checkpoint or any time an officer asks you to do it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Imagine that! People objecting to folks carrying firearms while wearing a mask. Who would'a thunk?

Had to make an appointment at my bank couple of weeks ago. Certificate of deposit account renewing, some changes needed to be made. Armed security met us outside, checked our ID's, then into the entryway where they checked our temperature with a remote thermometer. Had to wear a mask all the way through the process (of course, our ID photos were taken without the masks).

No one ever asked and no one ever seemed the least bit concerned about the pistol I was carrying under my shirt. But I have done business there for 37 years, so maybe I received preferential treatment.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I find it ironic that the pharmacy I've dealt with for years has always had a sign on the door prohibiting the wearing of sunglasses, hoodies, or facial coverings in the store and now they have a sign asking people to please wear a mask. Of course they've also always had a no weapons sign and I've ignored that, same as I ignore their wear a mask request now. Funny thing is the employees aren't wearing masks. I guess it's safe because there's a plexiglass barrier at the register.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Thanks for posting Scotty. I saw this in yesterday’s news and I too am wondering what is what. The average, thinking LEO isn’t going to get too wrapped on this, I wouldn’t think. But if he did, things could get pretty complicated for one of us. Plus the average, thinking LEO Is probably dangerously close to losing his or her mind in this climate. Bad decisions can be expected at these stress levels.

Sarge, let us know what you hear.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Florida law allows carrying concealed while wearing a mask as long as we are not committing a crime.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
To be honest, I didn't even know there was such a law here in NC. But then again, I had never worn masks until this year.

·
Super Moderator
16,150 Posts
Got an email from N.C. Sheriffs’ Association today.
Senate Bill 704 Temporarily Authorizes Masks in Public for Health & Safety Due to COVID-19

With the enactment in May, 2020 of Section 4 of Senate Bill 704, a person is now temporarily authorized to wear a mask in public and on private premises (such as in a shopping mall) for the “purpose of ensuring the physical health or safety of the wearer or others.” The person wearing a mask for health or safety reasons must remove the mask upon the request of a law enforcement officer during a traffic stop (including at a checkpoint or roadblock) or criminal investigation.

This temporary authorization only applies to the misdemeanors described above but DOES NOT apply to the felonies described above.

This temporary authorization expires on August 1, 2020. If the General Assembly does not extend this temporary provision of law, it will again be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to wear a mask in public (including those with a concealed handgun permit whether or not they are carrying a concealed handgun) unless one of the other exceptions described above applies.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts