Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In NC you cannot CC into a place that charges admission. :mad: Anyways... the question I have is if a venue that normally charges admission is not for a particular day/time, would it then be legal to carry? The venue in question is a county fair and they are having free admission on several days/times, but at other times are charging.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Call your County Sheriff's dept. They can answer that quick.

Any time I've had a que, I just call them if I can't find it.

I think your answer will be no as at times they do charge admission.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Don't they sell and consume beer at the fair? If they do, your answer is no carry, regardless of whether or not admission is charged.

·
Registered
371 Posts
agree with previous posts.
good question. NC carry laws
as well as in other states dont make
a lot of sense. Not supposed to carry
in movie theaters or any place that charges admission,
churches, banks, places that serve alcohol.
I mean where can you carry

·
Registered
809 Posts
The State Fair is on state property, so its off limits to CC regardless of the admission status of the day. Open carry on the other hand, who knows?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The State Fair is on state property, so its off limits to CC regardless of the admission status of the day. Open carry on the other hand, who knows?
yeah, but if they're serving and drinking, all carry is off-limits there.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
To quote the guy that's wearing the bow tie, "When in doubt, don't."

·
Registered
102 Posts
UGH! That guy was soooooo excruciating! What's this about Church? I'm gonna have to dig my book out, we carry to Church all the time. My CCP instructor and the man we do private tactics training with carries to Church..... where's that book......

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Churches are fine as long as there aren't any educational programs offered there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think it would be legal to carry into the county fair if anyone is charged admission to be there or if they sell alcohol for consumption.

I keep reading that guns are not allowed on state-owned property, but I can't find the law on that. NCGS 14-269.4 mentions three specific state buildings and any court of the General Court of Justice; there's no general prohibition of carry or possession on state-owned property. Is it prohibited by some other law?

Regarding churches... guns are prohibited with very few exceptions on educational property and in schools. "Educational property" is defined as "Any school building or bus, school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school. "School" is defined as "A public or private school, community college, college, or university."

Churches have educational programs all the time, but that doesn't qualify them as educational property nor as a school as defined in the statutes. There's no mention of churches in any NC gun laws that I have found. Note that some churches are also private schools and would therefore fall under the school prohibition.

While I'm at it, I've also read that funerals are no carry zones. NCGS 14-277.2 says, in part, "... any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions .... It doesn't say funerals, and it doesn't say all funeral processions. I interpret this to mean that possession is only prohibited during a funeral procession on private health care facilities or state or local government owned property. A funeral at the local church does not qualify as either. Actually, a funeral is not a funeral procession, so it doesn't really matter where it is.

I believe the statute was designed to prevent carrying at public funeral processions, such as one given in honor of a fallen soldier, police officer, fire fighter, or other public figure.

And one last thing. Concealed carry in banks is prohibited, but open carry is not.

Someone please set me straight if I've missed something; I feel like I read a lot of "incomplete" information on where carrying is and isn't allowed.

This stuff can be confusing. I just want to carry and be left alone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Problem is regarding banks
most all have the no firearm
sign posted on the entrances
which would take care of open carry too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
While I'm at it, I've also read that funerals are no carry zones. NCGS 14-277.2 says, in part, "... any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions ....
That "parade" thing gets me. Does it apply to spectators?

What if you were shopping at a store along the parade route on the day of the parade, but were not there to watch?

These laws make no sense. They're probably written to confuse people so they don't bother to carry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That "parade" thing gets me. Does it apply to spectators?

What if you were shopping at a store along the parade route on the day of the parade, but were not there to watch?

These laws make no sense. They're probably written to confuse people so they don't bother to carry.
It applies to "any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator", so yes. I would think if you're not standing around watching the parade, but rather walking away to your car you would technically be legal.

I don't think the legislators are savvy enough to make it purposefully confusing; I think they just don't think hard enough about unintended consequences of the wording they use. I'm (perhaps naively) hopeful that gun laws will get cleaned up over the years as the number that carrying grows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Beautiful state, I love N.C. but you folks have a lot of work to do there. I would have expected better from there.
Me too. It appears that many of these crazy laws predate the CHP laws, though the CHP laws have enough craziness themselves. Perhaps they decided in order to pass the CHP law they would have to keep it fairly restrictive and not try to throw every existing prohibition out the window in one swoop. It's been long enough, though; it's time to get rid of the ridiculousness. I can't even drive through to pick up my kids from school with an unloaded firearm locked in the trunk. :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts