Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The North Carolina Supreme Court says a 2004 law that bars convicted felons from having a gun, even within their own home or business, is unconstitutional.

The state's high court ruled Friday in the case of Barney Britt of Wake County that the General Assembly went too far five years ago when it toughened restrictions on felons owning guns as part of a broad anti-domestic-violence bill.

Justice Patricia Timmons-Goodson said in a dissenting opinion the decision could encourage challenges against state bans on felons and the insane owning guns.
I've been saying it all along. Felons should get their all of their right returned when they return as a member of society.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

I've been saying it all along. Felons should get their all of their right returned when they return as a member of society.
You feel someone who was convicted of of a homicide should get their right to own a gun again when their sentence is served? What about the gangbanger who raped and beat a 90 year old woman? What about Bernie Madoff who stole millions and ruined thousands of peoples retirement?

Sorry, you do a crime, you face the consequences. If you want your rights back you petition for them to be returned.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
You feel someone who was convicted of of a homicide should get their right to own a gun again when their sentence is served? What about the gangbanger who raped and beat a 90 year old woman? What about Bernie Madoff who stole millions and ruined thousands of peoples retirement?

Sorry, you do a crime, you face the consequences. If you want your rights back you petition for them to be returned.
I think Bernie Madoff should be able to apply for his permit when he gets out...he'll be 221 years old...:rofl:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It's a moot point, federal law prohibits anyone with a domestic violence conviction from owning firearms and dealers have to follow federal law. He might circumvent this through a private sale, but I sure wouldn't sell to him.
Michael Savage is right, liberalism IS a mental disorder.

Reactions: 65108

·
Banned
2,736 Posts
Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'm split on the issue. Violent felons should not get them unless they prove good behavior outside of jail for at least 5 years after their release date. Non violent felons should have their rights restored once they are released.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So basically the ads "You do the crime, you do the time" are false advertising as it promotes the thought that once you have served your time, you will be welcomed back as a productive member of society. How can we epect those who have doen their time to ever be absorbed back in if we are still judging their bad mistakes long after they did them?

Also, we all know the courts and feel-goods make nobody do the time. That's the problem. People get let out to early. A 10-year stretch commuted down to 2 years doesn't make anybody think about the crime they are about to commit or have already committed. "Hmm, if I get caught, I could do a 2 year stretch. It's worth it".

And please. Let's not make it out that all criminals are the most evil villains of all time. Most really aren't. They made a bad choice or fell into the wrong crowd. We sit here on this board and cry all day long about how 2nd amendment is our right and then just as easily decide who is allowed to have those unalienable rights. I'm sorry. It's hypocritical. Either it's for all men or it's not. You choose. Just remember, the moment you break the bubble, now we get to decide if for some reason, YOU should not get to carry.

Reactions: mrm and genauwiedu

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I completely [email protected]!! nicely said!

I do however feel that the rights should not be automatically returned rather a board should convene where you are faced with a challenging case where you prove you have truly served your time and learned a lesson and can prove that you should have your rights returned.

Some of the wisest people about living life have done some of the stupidest things so that they can teach others how not to live.

Anyways a ex-criminal whom is truly back on their feet and is harmless will show it by even petitioning for their rgihts back. A person who is going right back to prison at some point in the future will not waste their time becuase they already probably have purchased a gun from a trunk dealer in an alley from the drug money they made selling to teenagers down the block.

·
Banned
2,736 Posts
And please. Let's not make it out that all criminals are the most evil villains of all time. Most really aren't. They made a bad choice or fell into the wrong crowd.
Those poor innocent rapists, murders and armed thugs. They're not evil, just misunderstood. They grew up in a bad environment. Let's sit down with them and discuss their issuuuues and feeelings. They just made a bad choice. Right.

Just remember, the moment you break the bubble, now we get to decide if for some reason, YOU should not get to carry.
That is exactly right. It is called self governance. The moment you CHOOSE to be a felon we as a society do indeed reserve the RIGHT to limit your freedom.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Maybe it should depend on what kind of felony.
I can see the argument of every person should
have the right to protect themselves even a felon
but not sure I would feel great about violent convicted
felons to legally have guns either.
In NC it is a felony for a someone to have a firearm
on any school grounds I believe. Even if they have a permit.
IF so my thought is say a permit holder crossed through a campus
with a concealed gun and for whatever reason gets caught then
they should never be able to have a gun again. Sounds extreme
to me. But if someone wants a gun whether a felon or not or legal
or not they can get one anyway.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
So basically the ads "You do the crime, you do the time" are false advertising as it promotes the thought that once you have served your time, you will be welcomed back as a productive member of society. How can we epect those who have doen their time to ever be absorbed back in if we are still judging their bad mistakes long after they did them?
Nothing false about it, they don't say that once you've done the time you are going to be able to resume a normal life like it never happened.

A prison record will haunt you the rest of your life. Employers do criminal background check, educational institutions do also, along with banks and credit institutions when processing applications.

After a person gets out of prison they have the right to petition to have their rights restored, very few do so. Remember, they made a choice to break the law. Being young is no excuse, being with the wrong crowd is no excuse. Whenever I hear someone use those excuses, the first thing I think is "Another jerk who's blaming someone else, instead of taking responsibility for their own actions".

Reactions: 65108

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How does it make sense to let a convicted felon out of jail, so he can move into the house next door, and at the same time tell him that he cannot legally possess a firearm? Is he a dangerous felon that should be locked up in jail or is he a reborn citizen that deserves his freedom? It takes a warped mind to believe he is both. To quote Walter Sobchak, "Has the whole world gone crazy?"

A few weeks ago, I heard a news story on the radio about the local police going door to door to warn people that a convicted sex offender had moved into their neighborhood. Apparently he targets 12 year old girls and lures them with candy and money. Well, shouldn't we take away his right to own candy and money so he won't be able to hurt anyone? All the girls will be safe, if only the pervert is candy-banned. He has a right to live next door. Hogwash!

I say lock 'em up until we can trust them with a gun. Don't let them out before then. Problem(s) solved.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I don't think violent felons,or habitual felons should get the right to own firearms restored,somebody commits a non violent felony that served their sentence and hasn't committed anymore then I say he made a mistake

Reactions: mrm and genauwiedu

·
Registered
371 Posts
looked up some felonies in NC
Biggest two I found that are lesser felonies
yet IMO shouldnt keep someone from
buying a gun but does is changing mileage of vehical
odometer and forging an inspection sticker.
Someone if convicted of either of these two crimes
could probably go to court though and get their rights restored
but maybe not. Either way with something like this yes it is
wrong but shouldnt keep someone from buying a gun or voting

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I agree with those who say they should have to petition to have their rights restored, that way each situation is looked at individually, it's quite easy in my book.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
What if ... you went to jail for something as dumb as doing 90 on the freeway and a cop chases you and you didnt immediately pull over and he cites you for attempted evasion of police. You get setenced wrongfully in court are a felon do 6 to a year and get out. Now you cant own a gun?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
What if ... you went to jail for something as dumb as doing 90 on the freeway and a cop chases you and you didnt immediately pull over and he cites you for attempted evasion of police. You get setenced wrongfully in court are a felon do 6 to a year and get out. Now you cant own a gun?
So, do you agree that a petition of some sorts would be good?

1 - 20 of 152 Posts